Apps: Google+ 4.7, Instagram 6.0, Toca Town, Vivaldi’s Four Seasons
Google has updated its Google+ (free) iOS app to version 4.7.0. The updated app introduces Google+ Stories, which combine photos, videos, and places into trip summaries. A new photo editor featuring filters and other creative tools has also been added. Users can now check out total content views within profiles, and support is now offered for reporting abusive communities.
Instagram (free) has upgraded its app to version 6.0.0. The app now has 10 new photo-editing tools, including tools to enrich colors, adjust lighting, sharpen, and perfect a composition. It’s also now possible to adjust the filter strength just by double tapping. Uploading and sharing videos has also become an easier process with the update.
Toca Boca is back with another appealing kids app, Toca Town ($3). Toca Town is the most ambitious app yet from the developer — a wide-open exploratory app that lets children go into houses, visit the park, the police stations, and more locations. Kids can select from a lineup of characters at any time to drop them into a setting for play. Jump into an apartment and put a character to bed, where it’ll fall asleep. Or visit the store, where you can check out some groceries and put them in a bag. Though the town is small, the possibilities are endless for the imaginative. Toddlers to tweens might have some interest in Toca Town — even adults might want to explore a bit in Toca’s impressive interactive world.
From Touch Press, the makers of The Orchestra and Beethoven’s 9th Symphony apps, comes another massive classical music app — Vivaldi’s Four Seasons ($11) for iPad. Antonio Vivaldi first composed The Four Seasons in 1723, and the four violin concertos have been some of the most popular, enduring works in classical music. Users of the new app can listen to all concertos in two separate acclaimed performances. Individual instruments can be isolated, and users can shift to different camera angles during the performance. The BeatMap feature also returns, allowing users to see a visualization of the music as the instruments play on. Vivaldi’s Four Seasons will only run on an iPad running iOS 7.0 or later.
- Apps of the Week: Auxy, Golfinity, Space Age, Monument Valley + more
- Apps of the Week: Julius Jr.‘s Playground, Nighty Night Circus, Google Maps + iMovie
- Microsoft Office apps gain iPhone support, free editing
- Apps of the Week: SimCity BuildIt, Run Sackboy! Run!, Star Wars: Galactic Defense + more
- Apple reverses course on iOS calculator widgets
- Apps of the Week: Inbox by Gmail, Pixelmator, NHL 2K + more
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Google settles patent litigation with Apple’s Rockstar consortium
- Corning announces Gorilla Glass 4
- Report: GT Advanced struggled with sapphire production
- Report: Apple plans to integrate Beats Music directly into iOS
- Apple plans to ‘repurpose’ Arizona manufacturing plant, save jobs
- Apple announces WatchKit software tools available to developers now
- Apple ordered to pay $23.6M in pager technology settlement
- Apple opens up Lightning port to third-party manufacturers, begins accepting HomeKit plans
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.1
- Apple adds UnionPay support to Chinese App Store
- SteelSeries Stratus XL Gaming Controller
- Belkin/Jarden Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Smart Coffeemaker
- Logitech Keys-to-Go For iPad
- IvySkin Renegade for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Infinity Infinity One Wireless Speaker
- Twelve South PlugBug World iPad/iPhone Charger
- Pelican Protector for iPhone 6 and Voyager for iPhone 6 Plus
- STM Flip for iPhone 6
- Griffin Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Olloclip 4-in-1 Photo Lens for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0