Apps of the Week: Capo touch, Dino Dog, Minecraft 0.9 + more
Capo touch ($10) — Capo touch is a new iOS app based on Capo, the app featured today in our Mac section. The app, from SuperMegaUltraGroovy, teaches users how to play the songs in an iTunes library through automatic chord detection. Capo touch is currently on sale for $5, half off the regular price.
Care Bears Love to Learn (free) — Care Bears Love to Learn is a new learning app from American Greetings. Made for ages 5 and under, the app includes a number of activities featuring popular Care Bears. Kids can count with Share Bear, build shapes with Grumpy Bear, make music with Harmony Bear, and so forth.
Blackwell 1: Legacy ($2) — A graphic adventure game first released in 2006, Blackwell 1: Legacy from Wadjet Eye Games has been released on iOS. The point-and-click style game is released with its second and third installments, Blackwell 2: Unbound ($3) and Blackwell 3: Convergence ($3), which are both separate purchases.
Dino Dog ($3) — StoryToys is best known for their interactive pop-up books, but the developer has been toying with new features in their titles recently. Dino Dog is a game, in which children direct Dino Dog to dig for fossils and put together dinosaur bones. This is new territory for Story Toys, but it’s impressive, with great animation and plenty of voice work.
It’s made for ages 6-8, but slightly younger kids may enjoy it as well, as the gameplay is pretty basic.
Sonic Jump Fever (free) — Sega’s new Sonic game for iOS is a new sequel to Sonic Jump. Players start by controlling Tails as he jumps up through the course — you tilt the device to guide your character. Power-ups, double jumps, and other slight gameplay variations are included. The “Fever” in the title comes from a Fever mode which can be activated for a few seconds. It’s a simple game, but again, it’s free to play.
Minecraft - Pocket Edition ($7) — Mojang has released a much anticipated update for the iOS version of Minecraft, as version 0.9.0 brings infinite worlds to the game. The update has also added new blocks and items. Wolves have also joined the game, and a new “interaction” button has also been added.
MLB.com At Bat (free) — MLB.com At Bat from MLB.com has been updated in time for the upcoming MLB All-Star festivities. Version 7.3 of the app will let users stream the Home Run Derby and All-Star Futures Game live. Additionally, MLB.TV Premium subscribers will be able to watch a live stream of the 85th All-Star Game on Tuesday, July 15.
The Wolf Among Us ($5) — Telltale’s The Wolf Among Us has released its final episode — Cry Wolf. Like the game itself, the final episode in the graphic adventure series is $5.
- Apple issues open casting call for ‘Planet of the Apps’ show
- Pokémon GO getting full access to Google Accounts of some iOS users (Update: Niantic working on fix)
- Pokémon GO coming to Europe, Asia ‘within a few days’
- Apple TV Remote app beta 2 works as second game controller, adds legacy Apple TV support
- Nintendo may design its own smartphone game controller
- Pokémon GO available on iOS in some countries
- Apple to sell limited-edition Olympic Apple Watch bands exclusively in Brazil
- Report: iPhone 7 will include Lightning adapter instead of Lightning EarPods
- Edward Snowden designing device to prevent iPhone wiretapping
- Report: Apple Car team running into challenges, launch may slip to 2021
- Corning announces Gorilla Glass 5
- Apple under fire for providing refurbished replacements under AppleCare+
- Report: Apple acquires cloud music provider Omnifone? [Update: No]
- Apple releases second iOS 10 public beta
- India clears the way for Apple to open retail stores
- Apple Pay launches in Hong Kong
- Netatmo Tags for Welcome Smart Home Camera
- iDevices Socket HomeKit-enabled Light Adapter
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartPlug for Apple HomeKit
- Marbotic Smart Letters for iPad
- Ecoxgear Sol Jam Bluetooth Speaker
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case + Hand Strap for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Braven BRV-1M Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-Blade Bluetooth Speaker
- Invoxia Voice Bridge
- Incase Keyboard Case for iPad Air 2
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app