Apps of the Week: Capo touch, Dino Dog, Minecraft 0.9 + more
Capo touch ($10) — Capo touch is a new iOS app based on Capo, the app featured today in our Mac section. The app, from SuperMegaUltraGroovy, teaches users how to play the songs in an iTunes library through automatic chord detection. Capo touch is currently on sale for $5, half off the regular price.
Care Bears Love to Learn (free) — Care Bears Love to Learn is a new learning app from American Greetings. Made for ages 5 and under, the app includes a number of activities featuring popular Care Bears. Kids can count with Share Bear, build shapes with Grumpy Bear, make music with Harmony Bear, and so forth.
Blackwell 1: Legacy ($2) — A graphic adventure game first released in 2006, Blackwell 1: Legacy from Wadjet Eye Games has been released on iOS. The point-and-click style game is released with its second and third installments, Blackwell 2: Unbound ($3) and Blackwell 3: Convergence ($3), which are both separate purchases.
Dino Dog ($3) — StoryToys is best known for their interactive pop-up books, but the developer has been toying with new features in their titles recently. Dino Dog is a game, in which children direct Dino Dog to dig for fossils and put together dinosaur bones. This is new territory for Story Toys, but it’s impressive, with great animation and plenty of voice work.
It’s made for ages 6-8, but slightly younger kids may enjoy it as well, as the gameplay is pretty basic.
Sonic Jump Fever (free) — Sega’s new Sonic game for iOS is a new sequel to Sonic Jump. Players start by controlling Tails as he jumps up through the course — you tilt the device to guide your character. Power-ups, double jumps, and other slight gameplay variations are included. The “Fever” in the title comes from a Fever mode which can be activated for a few seconds. It’s a simple game, but again, it’s free to play.
Minecraft - Pocket Edition ($7) — Mojang has released a much anticipated update for the iOS version of Minecraft, as version 0.9.0 brings infinite worlds to the game. The update has also added new blocks and items. Wolves have also joined the game, and a new “interaction” button has also been added.
MLB.com At Bat (free) — MLB.com At Bat from MLB.com has been updated in time for the upcoming MLB All-Star festivities. Version 7.3 of the app will let users stream the Home Run Derby and All-Star Futures Game live. Additionally, MLB.TV Premium subscribers will be able to watch a live stream of the 85th All-Star Game on Tuesday, July 15.
The Wolf Among Us ($5) — Telltale’s The Wolf Among Us has released its final episode — Cry Wolf. Like the game itself, the final episode in the graphic adventure series is $5.
- Apple working to turn HealthKit into diagnosis tool
- App Diary: Sept. 23 — Sky Tripping, Nightgate, and ‘board games’ for Apple TV
- Google brings Allo messaging app to iOS
- Twitter releases Apple TV app
- Apple’s iWork apps add real-time collaboration
- Apple’s iMessage App Store goes live ahead of iOS 10 release
- Apple announces iOS business development partnership with Deloitte
- Apple logs iMessage contact info, could be compelled to offer info to police
- Apple reportedly calls in hackers for meeting on bug bounty program
- Apple creating new London headquarters
- Honeywell debuts Lyric T5 HomeKit-enabled smart thermostat
- Executives talk Apple Music successes and failures
- Apple Q4 earnings call set for October 27
- Sonos speakers available on Apple’s online store today, in Apple Stores next month
- Apple lacks lobbying power in fight with EU
- Apple to offer ‘Spoken Editions’ of written content from top publishers
- 808 Audio XS Sport Rugged Wireless Speaker
- Mass Fidelity Core Bluetooth Speaker
- Thought Out Simplex Tablet iPad Stand
- SmartX Galaxy ZEGA Starter Kit
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Leather Case
- Apple Watch Series 2
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Twelve South HiRise 2 for iPhone + iPad
- Nomad Pod Pro for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Sevenhugs hugOne Sleep Monitoring System
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps