Apps of the Week: Daniel Tiger’s Grr-ific Feelings, Godus, Oceanhorn 2.0 + More
Daniel Tiger’s Grr-ific Feelings ($3) — PBS Kids has just released Daniel Tiger’s Grr-ific Feelings. The app, based on the show Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, has a variety of activities for youngsters. Kids can draw, play mini-games, step into the feelings photo booth, or sing along to their favorite songs from the show — all concentrating on different feelings. This is a well done app with lots of content and great voicework; the activities are intuitive, even for younger children. If you’ve got a Daniel Tiger fan in the house, they’ll enjoy Grr-ific Feelings.
NFL Now (free) — The NFL has released its anticipated NFL Now app, also expected soon as an Apple TV channel. Until then, the iOS app allows for AirPlay to an Apple TV. NFL Now claims to offer “hundreds” of new videos daily in a personalized stream. Currently, fantasy football and training camp videos are the focus. Users view the app’s content in portrait mode, and the app automatically switches to landscape mode for video. Only some content is available for free — full highlights and unlimited access to the NFL Films library cost $2 a month for USA, Mexico, and UK users, and $5 a month for the rest of the world.
Dragon Quest IV ($15) — Misspelled by Square Enix as Dargon Quest IV, the groundbreaking RPG has just hit the App Store. Known to some NES gamers as Dragon Warrior IV, the 2-D game has been updated and re-released a number of times since then. The title features five chapters, totaling more than 40 hours of gameplay, and it’s got the price to match. Nostalgic gamers might want to give it a go, but the newest version might draw in some more modern RPG fans, as well.
Godus (free) — Godus is a new game from Peter Molyneux, published by DeNA Corp. Molyneux — godfather of the god game and creator of Populous, Theme Park, Black & White, Fable, and more — tweeted that Godus is “easily the hardest most amazing thing I have ever worked on.” A freemium game, Godus starts players out with sculpting land, later to watch as their followers grow civilizations from primitive times to advanced ages. Whether it’s Molyneux’s “most amazing” game is up for debate, but it’s free to play, so you can be the judge.
Touch Racing 2 (free) — Touch Racing 2 from Marvelous Games is the freemium sequel to Touch Racing. The game uses a touch-and-drag control scheme, which requires switching between left and right thumbs, thankfully working better than it sounds. Gamers can upgrade and customize their vehicles, and there’s also a multiplayer mode.
Oceanhorn ($9) — FDG Entertainment today released the long-awaited update to Oceanhorn: the version 2.0 Game of the Year edition. Most notably, the game now adds new mysteries — the developer claims the game now has “up to 4 hours of additional gameplay.” Players can now go fishing, and can compete against other players on the Game Center leaderboards. New music tracks have also been added, in addition to improved graphics, animation tweaks, dynamic weather changes, antialiasing support on iPhone 5s, and 64-bit support.
Starbucks (free) — Starbucks has released version 3.1.1 of its official app. The update adds a new stores feature to find nearby stores and open a map right near a user’s current location. It’s also easier to add a Starbucks card and redeem an eGift, now, as well.
United Airlines (free) — United Airlines has updated its official app to version 2.0.16 with a new trial feature — expanded international check-in. Customers can now use the app to scan passports for international check-in. Passport data can be stored within the system for later use. The device camera will be used to verify the scanned passport for additional security, and when the image is validated, users will receive their boarding passes. It’s worth noting that United wants users to share their comments on the trial feature using the App Feedback link.
- AG Drive, Delectable Wines, Google Maps + more
- Dropbox, Google Play Music, Microsoft Office Apps, Microsoft Outlook, NBC + more
- Apps: ESPN, Nike+ Fuel, Pinterest, Starbucks + Twitter
- Apple cracks down on gun and violence imagery in App Store screenshots
- Apple readmits marijuana-related app to App Store
- Microsoft Outlook, Timeline, Mean Girls: The Game + more
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?