Apps of the Week: Hyperlapse, BioShock, Asphalt 8 1.5 + more
Google Slides (free) — Google debuted its Slides app this week. The presentation-creating app joins Google Docs and Google Sheets as yet another Google Drive-based app. Slides allows users to open, edit, and save Microsoft PowerPoint files; the autosaving app can also work without an Internet connection.
Hyperlapse from Instagram (free) — Instagram’s Hyperlapse is a new app that seems like it could become a sensation. Users can quickly create time lapse videos with the app. It works amazingly well — you can shoot while stationary or in motion — and the app clearly shows users how much time an accelerated video will actually take to watch once the time lapse is complete. A hyperlapse video can go up to 12 times normal speed, enabling users to show a lot of action in a short amount of time. The effect is very impressive for a free app. It’s simple to use, and no sign up or account is required, so we highly recommend downloading Hyperlapse to see what the fuss is all about. Next month, iOS 8 will introduce an integrated time lapse video recording feature with comparatively limited settings.
Mobile Passport (free) — Airside Mobile’s new Mobile Passport app, which is officially approved by U.S. Customs and Border Protection, allows users to enter the U.S. faster. You’ll be able to skip the regular line upon returning from abroad, as the app “effectively replaces” the traditional declaration form required of all travelers entering the U.S. by air. Both U.S. and Canadian citizens are eligible to use the app. Currently, the service is only available at Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, with more supported locations to follow in the future. Keep in mind that the app is not a replacement for your passport.
Poppy Cat and the Bubble Volcano ($3) — The prolific StoryToys returns with another storybook app, Poppy Cat and the Bubble Volcano. Featuring the popular Poppy Cat, the app features a variety of games and activities. It’s similar to other StoryToys apps, but it’s definitely worth a look if your kid is into Poppy Cat — the app features sound effects and music from the show, and illustrations are based on the TV show’s animation.
BioShock ($15) — As announced earlier this month, 2K has brought BioShock to iOS. The acclaimed first-person shooter was first released in 2007, and it’s one of the bigger iOS ports in recent memory. As with all iOS first-person shooters, we recommend that you have some comfort level with the touchscreen controls, especially at this price level. It’s likely that many longtime BioShock fans could find this version disappointing — but if you’re new to the game, this could be worth your while, and it’s always nice to see another big-name title make its way to the App Store.
Epic Eric ($1) — Epic Eric is a new game from independent developer 232 Studios. It’s a one-touch puzzler based on sending Eric the knight — or Erica the princess — flying through the air by way of rotating cogs. The game comes with 45 levels, with more promised in the future. There can be a bit of a frustration factor on some of the more involved levels, but the game lets you restart without waiting, letting players get right back to it. There are already a number of solid, inexpensive physics-based puzzlers in the App Store, and Epic Eric is the newest addition to that mix.
Asphalt 8: Airborne (free) — Gameloft’s Asphalt 8 has upgraded to version 1.5. With the update comes five new cars, including the Mercedes-Benz Biome concept car and Nissan GT-R NISMO. A new location, Dubai, has also been added to the game, and a new season features 74 events. Asphalt 8 is also now available with the Twitch video service.
Ridge Racer Slipstream (free) — Asphalt 8 isn’t the only iOS racing game with new tracks and cars this week. Bandai Namco’s Ridge Racer Slipstream has added a number of new features in version 2.2, include four Class 1 machines, and two courses. The game also now supports MFi controllers with the new update.
- Apple updates Pages, Numbers, Keynote for iCloud Drive
- Apps of the Week: Autodesk SketchBook, TeleStory, Reckless Racing 3 + more
- Adobe introduces suite of Creative Cloud mobile apps
- Apps of the Week: Post-it Plus, WW2: Sandbox, Fruit Ninja 2.0 + more
- Apps of the Week: OmniFocus 2 for iPad, Transmit, Asphalt Overdrive + more
- Apps of the Week: Epic Zen Garden, OmniFocus, Evernote, Pocket + more
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple’s new Maps Connect lets businesses manage listings, request iBeacon indoor mapping
- Apple reportedly begins in-store sales of iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Cook discussing security with top Chinese official
- GT and Apple to part ways ‘amicably’
- Apple Pay can be used internationally with U.S.-based cards
- Notes from Apple’s Q4 2014 earnings call
- Apple Q4 2014: 39.3M iPhones, 12.3M iPads, 2.6M iPods, $42.1B revenue
- Apple releases Apple TV Software Update 7.0.1
- Apple releases iOS 8.1
- Apple launches iCloud Photos Beta Web Client
- Speck MightyShell for iPhone 6
- Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor
- Just Mobile Xtand Go Z1
- PowerSkin Pop’n 2 for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- APC M5BK + M10BK 5000/10000mAh Mobile Power Packs
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0