Apps of the Week: Hyperlapse, BioShock, Asphalt 8 1.5 + more
Google Slides (free) — Google debuted its Slides app this week. The presentation-creating app joins Google Docs and Google Sheets as yet another Google Drive-based app. Slides allows users to open, edit, and save Microsoft PowerPoint files; the autosaving app can also work without an Internet connection.
Hyperlapse from Instagram (free) — Instagram’s Hyperlapse is a new app that seems like it could become a sensation. Users can quickly create time lapse videos with the app. It works amazingly well — you can shoot while stationary or in motion — and the app clearly shows users how much time an accelerated video will actually take to watch once the time lapse is complete. A hyperlapse video can go up to 12 times normal speed, enabling users to show a lot of action in a short amount of time. The effect is very impressive for a free app. It’s simple to use, and no sign up or account is required, so we highly recommend downloading Hyperlapse to see what the fuss is all about. Next month, iOS 8 will introduce an integrated time lapse video recording feature with comparatively limited settings.
Mobile Passport (free) — Airside Mobile’s new Mobile Passport app, which is officially approved by U.S. Customs and Border Protection, allows users to enter the U.S. faster. You’ll be able to skip the regular line upon returning from abroad, as the app “effectively replaces” the traditional declaration form required of all travelers entering the U.S. by air. Both U.S. and Canadian citizens are eligible to use the app. Currently, the service is only available at Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, with more supported locations to follow in the future. Keep in mind that the app is not a replacement for your passport.
Poppy Cat and the Bubble Volcano ($3) — The prolific StoryToys returns with another storybook app, Poppy Cat and the Bubble Volcano. Featuring the popular Poppy Cat, the app features a variety of games and activities. It’s similar to other StoryToys apps, but it’s definitely worth a look if your kid is into Poppy Cat — the app features sound effects and music from the show, and illustrations are based on the TV show’s animation.
BioShock ($15) — As announced earlier this month, 2K has brought BioShock to iOS. The acclaimed first-person shooter was first released in 2007, and it’s one of the bigger iOS ports in recent memory. As with all iOS first-person shooters, we recommend that you have some comfort level with the touchscreen controls, especially at this price level. It’s likely that many longtime BioShock fans could find this version disappointing — but if you’re new to the game, this could be worth your while, and it’s always nice to see another big-name title make its way to the App Store.
Epic Eric ($1) — Epic Eric is a new game from independent developer 232 Studios. It’s a one-touch puzzler based on sending Eric the knight — or Erica the princess — flying through the air by way of rotating cogs. The game comes with 45 levels, with more promised in the future. There can be a bit of a frustration factor on some of the more involved levels, but the game lets you restart without waiting, letting players get right back to it. There are already a number of solid, inexpensive physics-based puzzlers in the App Store, and Epic Eric is the newest addition to that mix.
Asphalt 8: Airborne (free) — Gameloft’s Asphalt 8 has upgraded to version 1.5. With the update comes five new cars, including the Mercedes-Benz Biome concept car and Nissan GT-R NISMO. A new location, Dubai, has also been added to the game, and a new season features 74 events. Asphalt 8 is also now available with the Twitch video service.
Ridge Racer Slipstream (free) — Asphalt 8 isn’t the only iOS racing game with new tracks and cars this week. Bandai Namco’s Ridge Racer Slipstream has added a number of new features in version 2.2, include four Class 1 machines, and two courses. The game also now supports MFi controllers with the new update.
- Dropbox, Google Play Music, Microsoft Office Apps, Microsoft Outlook, NBC + more
- Apps: ESPN, Nike+ Fuel, Pinterest, Starbucks + Twitter
- Apple cracks down on gun and violence imagery in App Store screenshots
- Apple readmits marijuana-related app to App Store
- Microsoft Outlook, Timeline, Mean Girls: The Game + more
- The LEGO Movie Video Game, Rocket Cars, SpongeBob: Sponge on the Run, 1Password 5.2 + more
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 2 to developers
- Toyota currently has ‘no plans’ to adopt CarPlay in the US
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- iWalk Rugged Power Case for iPhone 6
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?
- How do I find and remove only downloaded tracks with iTunes Match?