Apps of the Week: Overcast, Ingress, Endless Numbers 1.2 + more
Google Analytics (free) — Google has released a new Google Analytics app that allows users to access their web and app data from an iOS device. For those not in the know, Google Analytics is a popular service that offers website owners detailed site traffic statistics. The app offers Real Time reports, which lets users monitor recent changes.
Overcast: Podcast Player (free) — There is no shortage of thoughtfully designed podcast apps made to replace Apple’s own app, which has been through many ups and downs since it was released. The latest, and perhaps most hotly anticipated, is Marco Arment’s Overcast. The app is currently iPhone-only, available as a free download. It’s fully usable as-is, although a $5 in-app purchase unlocks a number of features that enhance the experience, such as cellular downloads, a sleep timer, and unlimited playlists. The key features that help differentiate this one from the others on the market, apart from aesthetic design, are both audio engineering tricks that get unlocked when you spend the money. Smart Speed is a really cool tool; rather than increasing the speed of the podcast and making the speakers sound like chipmunks, it’s able to detect gaps and edit out the silence, saving you time in listening. Voice Boost does just what its name says, making it easier to listen to podcasts in cars or other environments where there’s background noise, without having to pump up the volume. Both Smart Speed and Voice Boost can be used for five minutes at a time before you decide to buy.
daWindci Deluxe ($3) — Mimimi Productions has released a new version of its popular, Apple Design Award winning daWindci game with daWindci Deluxe. The upgraded game — in which players paint wind, hurricanes, and lightning on screen to guide a hot air balloon through levels — now features full Retina support and new wind drawing mechanics. All new particle effects, crisper textures, and post effect shaders have also been added to the game. Considering the original daWindci is still $4, this is the one you want.
Guardians of the Galaxy: The Universal Weapon ($5) — Marvel Entertainment’s new game Guardians of the Galaxy: The Universal Weapon hits the App Store weeks before the upcoming film. A realtime strategic fighting game, GotG offers zero in-app purchases. Players can unlock, upgrade and control 25 characters. More than 60 levels are available in Story Mode, while an additional Arena Mode lets users play as the villains, as well.
Ingress (free) — Google’s popular Ingress, which has long been played by Android users, has finally come to iOS. A free game, Ingress uses the real world as its map — players join either The Enlightened or The Resistance in a battle to capture territory and tap into the energy that exists at the heart of the game. Ingress players are all over the globe, and the game is a fun way of combining actual activity with an online sci-fi game — but some may not want Google tracking their every move.
Endless Numbers (free) — Originator’s Endless Numbers children’s learning app has updated to version 1.2. The new update brings a $10 in-app purchase that lets kids explore numbers 26-100. That follows a starter pack of in-app purchase for $5; all numbers can now be purchased for $12. While we’ve always been a big fan of Originator’s funny, clever, smart apps for kids — and Endless Numbers is no exception — $10 is a steep price to pay for another IAP. We’d recommend it for children who already love the app and can learn those numbers, but otherwise we’d probably steer clear.
Google Wallet (free) — The updated Google Wallet app — version 2.0.16011.10356 — lets users digitize gift cards, and then track balances within the app. Those gift cards can then also be redeemed in stores directly from the app. Also, the app has added the ability to request money from friends and family in the US. Sending money from Google Wallet, a debit card, or a bank account is free, while a 2.9 percent fee is added to credit card transactions.
UP by Jawbone (free) — Jawbone has updated its UP app for its UP fitness tracker to version 3.2. The updated app now features a weight management option, and a redesigned food experience for logging meals. Additionally, the app now adds a food score to rate the healthiness of a certain dish with one number.
- Apple updates Pages, Numbers, Keynote for iCloud Drive
- Apps of the Week: Autodesk SketchBook, TeleStory, Reckless Racing 3 + more
- Adobe introduces suite of Creative Cloud mobile apps
- Apps of the Week: Post-it Plus, WW2: Sandbox, Fruit Ninja 2.0 + more
- Apps of the Week: OmniFocus 2 for iPad, Transmit, Asphalt Overdrive + more
- Apps of the Week: Epic Zen Garden, OmniFocus, Evernote, Pocket + more
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Notes from Apple’s Q4 2014 earnings call
- Apple Q4 2014: 39.3M iPhones, 12.3M iPads, 2.6M iPods, $42.1B revenue
- Apple releases Apple TV Software Update 7.0.1
- Apple releases iOS 8.1
- Apple launches iCloud Photos Beta Web Client
- Apple working to cut music subscription prices
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Store returns, begins taking iPad pre-orders
- Apple updates Pages, Numbers, Keynote for iCloud Drive
- Belkin announces QODE keyboards for iPad Air 2
- PowerSkin Pop’n 2 for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- APC M5BK + M10BK 5000/10000mAh Mobile Power Packs
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Belkin Qode Ultimate Pro Keyboard Case for iPad Air
- Uniq Aircraft Clear for iPhone 6
- STM Harbour for iPhone 6 Plus
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12