Apps of the Week: Sago Mini Friends, Champ Man 15, Yelp 8.2 + more
Hanx Writer (free) — Hanx Writer from Hitcents.com is a new writing app designed to mimic the experience of a typewriter on an iPad. Also, it was created by actor and noted typewriter aficionado Tom Hanks. Documents can be emailed, printed, and shared like any other, except that writing them will give you all the sounds and animations of a traditional typewriter. The app offers use of the Hanx Prime Select typewriter for free, and users can make in-app purchases to use different “typewriters.”
Sago Mini Friends ($3) — Sago Sago’s newest childrens’ app is Sago Mini Friends. It features characters from a few of the developer’s other games. Kids pick from one of five friendly animals, and visit the homes of the other characters to participate in very simple mini games. For those familiar with Toca Boca’s exploration apps such as Toca Town or Toca House, think of Sago Mini Friends as a more basic version of those, but for younger children.
Champ Man 15 (free) — Square Enix’s Champ Man 15 — Champ Man is short for Championship Manager — is a soccer simulation management game. Those familiar with Football Manager will have an idea of what to expect, as the two games do have a shared history. It’s a hardcore sim, so don’t expect to be controlling your players running up and down the field. You’ll be controlling team funds, tactics, signings, and other aspects of management. Real players and teams are included. Champ Man 15 is freemium, so keep in mind that without making a purchase, you won’t be able to control some of the major teams until you progress in the game.
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney — Dual Destinies (free) — Released just last year for Nintendo 3DS, Capcom’s Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is the newest game in the series to come to iOS. Gamers play as Wright, a defense attorney working to acquit his clients. The gameplay fluctuates between crime scene investigation and courtroom debate — Wright does it all. If you’re not familiar with the series, Dual Destinies is as good a starting point as any to give this original, entertaining franchise a try. The first episode in the game is free, with four more episodes available for individual purchase or as a set.
Sentinel 4: Dark Star ($5) — Some fans of tower defense games are likely excited over the release of Origin8’s Sentinel 4: Dark Star. It’s the sequel to the well-received Sentinel 3: Homeworld, which was first released more than three years ago. The newest installment features improved graphics, new and returning enemies, and a campaign with 26 maps. If you liked the previous Sentinel games, you’ll probably enjoy this as well.
Slack (free) — Tiny Speck’s business team communication app Slack recently updated to version 1.5 with a bunch of new features and fixes. A new recent mentions feature delivers all important messages related to the user in real-time. Users can also now receive push notifications for all of their active teams at once. Loading animations and image uploads have been improved, along with much, much more.
Yelp (free) — Yelp’s updated app brings review translation to version 8.2. It’s now easy to properly translate the reviews to parse through recommendations — a nice touch for those living in metropolitan areas with a large population of foreign-language speakers. Video playback has also been improved, along with a number of other small tweaks.
- Apps of the Week: OmniFocus 2 for iPad, Transmit, Asphalt Overdrive + more
- Apps of the Week: Epic Zen Garden, OmniFocus, Evernote, Pocket + more
- iLife and iWork apps to be pre-installed on 64/128 GB iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Apps of the Week: The Met, Iconic, Infinity Blade 1.4 + more
- The Room Three coming to iOS next spring
- Apple updates App Store Guidelines, reveals app rejection reasons
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Logitech debuts Type+ Keyboard for iPad Air
- Upcoming iPad Air to have gold color option
- Apple Q4 earnings call coming October 20
- European magazine gets blacklisted by Apple for posting “Bendgate” video
- “Reset All Settings” in iOS 8 may also erase iCloud Drive content
- Apple’s tax deal in Ireland may be illegal according to EU regulators
- Apple releases first iOS 8.1 beta to developers
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus hit China Oct. 17, pre-orders Oct. 10
- Report: iOS 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 in simultaneous development
- French fashion retailer Colette to hold in-store Apple event
- Spigen Capsule, Neo Hybrid / EX / Metal + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6
- Griffin Survivor All-Terrain, Core, and Slim for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Griffin Identity, Reveal cases for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Orbotix Ollie by Sphero
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic HD
- JBL Charge 2 Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 In-Ear Headphones
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Speck CandyShell, Card, Grip + Inked cases for iPhone 6
- Incipio DualPro Shine, Edge for iPhone 6 + NGP for iPhone 6 Plus
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch