Apps of the Week: Sago Mini Friends, Champ Man 15, Yelp 8.2 + more
Hanx Writer (free) — Hanx Writer from Hitcents.com is a new writing app designed to mimic the experience of a typewriter on an iPad. Also, it was created by actor and noted typewriter aficionado Tom Hanks. Documents can be emailed, printed, and shared like any other, except that writing them will give you all the sounds and animations of a traditional typewriter. The app offers use of the Hanx Prime Select typewriter for free, and users can make in-app purchases to use different “typewriters.”
Sago Mini Friends ($3) — Sago Sago’s newest childrens’ app is Sago Mini Friends. It features characters from a few of the developer’s other games. Kids pick from one of five friendly animals, and visit the homes of the other characters to participate in very simple mini games. For those familiar with Toca Boca’s exploration apps such as Toca Town or Toca House, think of Sago Mini Friends as a more basic version of those, but for younger children.
Champ Man 15 (free) — Square Enix’s Champ Man 15 — Champ Man is short for Championship Manager — is a soccer simulation management game. Those familiar with Football Manager will have an idea of what to expect, as the two games do have a shared history. It’s a hardcore sim, so don’t expect to be controlling your players running up and down the field. You’ll be controlling team funds, tactics, signings, and other aspects of management. Real players and teams are included. Champ Man 15 is freemium, so keep in mind that without making a purchase, you won’t be able to control some of the major teams until you progress in the game.
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney — Dual Destinies (free) — Released just last year for Nintendo 3DS, Capcom’s Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is the newest game in the series to come to iOS. Gamers play as Wright, a defense attorney working to acquit his clients. The gameplay fluctuates between crime scene investigation and courtroom debate — Wright does it all. If you’re not familiar with the series, Dual Destinies is as good a starting point as any to give this original, entertaining franchise a try. The first episode in the game is free, with four more episodes available for individual purchase or as a set.
Sentinel 4: Dark Star ($5) — Some fans of tower defense games are likely excited over the release of Origin8’s Sentinel 4: Dark Star. It’s the sequel to the well-received Sentinel 3: Homeworld, which was first released more than three years ago. The newest installment features improved graphics, new and returning enemies, and a campaign with 26 maps. If you liked the previous Sentinel games, you’ll probably enjoy this as well.
Slack (free) — Tiny Speck’s business team communication app Slack recently updated to version 1.5 with a bunch of new features and fixes. A new recent mentions feature delivers all important messages related to the user in real-time. Users can also now receive push notifications for all of their active teams at once. Loading animations and image uploads have been improved, along with much, much more.
Yelp (free) — Yelp’s updated app brings review translation to version 8.2. It’s now easy to properly translate the reviews to parse through recommendations — a nice touch for those living in metropolitan areas with a large population of foreign-language speakers. Video playback has also been improved, along with a number of other small tweaks.
- NimbleBit announces Apple Watch support for Letterpad
- Be My Eyes, GoodReader 4.8, MacID, Multifly + more
- Monument Valley infographic reveals revenue, other stats from hit game
- AllCast, Google Classroom, Google Maps 4.2, Peg + Cat: The Tree Problem + more
- Apple announces 64-bit and iOS 8 requirements for app updates
- Carousel, Fleksy, Modern Combat 5: Blackout, Workflow, Shazam, SimCity BuildIt
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Report: Apple agrees to accept product inspections from Chinese government
- IK Multimedia announces iRig Mic Studio
- NimbleBit announces Apple Watch support for Letterpad
- Apple acquires music analytics firm Semetric
- Apple terminates Crimean developer agreements due to U.S. sanctions
- Apple commemorates Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air 2
- Twelve South BookBook for iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12