Apps: Press Here, Procreate 1.8, Reeder 3.2 + Samurai Shodown II
Based on the acclaimed kids’ book by Herve Tullet, Press Here: The App from Chronicle Books is available for iPad ($2) and iPhone ($1) — the latter as a “small version.” The app features 15 simple games and activities, focused on the three colored dots featured in the considerably more expensive books. Though the app version appears to be simplistic in design, Press Here uses its basic dots to spark imagination and problem solving, testing memory, artistic abilities, and much more.
Procreate ($5), an iPad app from Savage Interactive that lets users illustrate and create, has updated to version 1.8. So many new things have been added — a freehand selection tool, a new copy-and-pastesystem, painting and brush improvements, transform improvements, and a new interface for creating a canvas, amongst other tweaks. A number of other experiences have been improved, including interface animations and redesigned menus. The app also now supports Adonit’s Jot Touch 4.
Now that the popular Google Reader has gone away, other RSS readers are hoping to fill the void. Silvio Rizzi’s Reeder is changing in response — now free for iPhone, Reeder version 3.2 supports Feedbin, Feedly, Feed Wrangler and Fever as alternatives to Google Reader. The app also can store RSS feeds locally for the time being. For now, the iPad version of Reeder has been removed from the App Store — both the iPhone and iPad apps will receive a “major update” in the future, adding local RSS storage and other feeds for a post-Google Reader world.
SNK Playmore has brought the classic one-on-one fighting game Samurai Shodown II ($9) to iOS. Originally released for Neo Geo in 1994, the game features 15 selectable fighters, including the original characters from the first Samurai Shodown, and four additions: Genjuro Kibagami, Cham Cham, Neinhalt Sieger, and the wonderfully-named Nicotine Caffeine. Those familiar with other SNK fighters such as Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting will have some idea of what to expect—walk, jump, run, duck, attacks, and special moves—though Samurai Shodown II features a weapon-based style of combat. Impressively-animated, hand-drawn art recalls the best days of 16/32-bit gaming, with lush Japanese environments and audio creating a traditional arcade-style experience. As is the case with these ports, the touchscreen controls will bother some users more than others; we found special moves tricky to execute on the virtual stick. Those who don’t mind the initially high price and user interface issues can pick up and enjoy an old favorite.
- Apple Store returns, begins taking iPad pre-orders
- Apple updates Pages, Numbers, Keynote for iCloud Drive
- Apple unveils iPad mini 3, renames Retina iPad mini to iPad mini 2
- Apple debuts iPad Air 2
- iPad stats: 225 million sold, 675,000 apps
- iOS 8.1 gets official, adding Apple Pay, photo features (Oct. 20)
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Cook discussing security with top Chinese official
- GT and Apple to part ways ‘amicably’
- Apple Pay can be used internationally with U.S.-based cards
- Notes from Apple’s Q4 2014 earnings call
- Apple Q4 2014: 39.3M iPhones, 12.3M iPads, 2.6M iPods, $42.1B revenue
- Apple releases Apple TV Software Update 7.0.1
- Apple releases iOS 8.1
- Apple launches iCloud Photos Beta Web Client
- Apple working to cut music subscription prices
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, subscribe now
- Speck MightyShell for iPhone 6
- Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor
- Just Mobile Xtand Go Z1
- PowerSkin Pop’n 2 for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- APC M5BK + M10BK 5000/10000mAh Mobile Power Packs
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0