Aquadock iPod docking station announced | iLounge News

Aquadock iPod docking station announced

image

The Aquadock is a water resistant AM/FM radio and docking station for iPods and other MP3 players. The $30 product features a water-tight hinged lid, built-in stereo speakers, a digital LCD clock, and a detachable stand. It is powered by four AA batteries and is available in white or silver. “Whether you’re are enjoying the summer weather at the pool or polishing your singing skills in the shower, the Aquadock provides a safe and convenient way to always have your iPods or MP3 players with you.”

« Mix: Bob Seger, Music phones, Goombah, Alien Ant Farm

TuneRemote case protects Apple Remote »

Comments

You better be rocking a playlist, because if you attempt switch your tunes while playing with the water. You’re going to have some problems.

Posted by Jason on July 13, 2006 at 6:48 AM (PDT)

I like the idea of this product, and its reasonable price. I wish it could go 2 steps further though - for those of us who would like to use it at the office, the ability to use an outlet instead of batteries, as well as earbuds would be a way to stretch this product’s use beyond the manufacturers initial intent. (I didn’t see any indications of these abilities when I followed the product link.) For the price, I’d feel comfortable leaving the unit in an unlocked location at work, and although I’d be annoyed if someone stole it, it wouldn’t break the bank to replace it.

Cheers,
lisa

Posted by lisa on July 13, 2006 at 8:03 AM (PDT)

For the price… consider the quality of sound you’re going to get…

Posted by chad_l on July 13, 2006 at 8:41 AM (PDT)

Lisa for your use at work, why not just get a set of PC speakers and plug it directly into your Ipod? Most PC speakers also have an ear plug jack to plug in your earphones. You don’t need this device.  This is mainly for when you want to take it in the shower or you want to listen to your music out loud outdoors where plugs are not available.  I personally use the BoomBoomBox.  Works great.

If you want innovation, they could have gone one step further and mimic the Ipod’s screen to see what songs to play etc while it’s in this box using the LCD display.

But that would probably cost like 100’s of dollars.

Posted by BG on July 13, 2006 at 10:45 AM (PDT)

Personally, I like the fact that the picture shows a 1st or 2nd generation iPod. That was SO 2003! (insert sarcasm here)

Posted by J on July 13, 2006 at 1:51 PM (PDT)

That top lid looks pretty flimsy to me.
I wouldn’t trust my iPod in this anywhere near water.

Posted by B.Mick on July 13, 2006 at 2:25 PM (PDT)

@ J, the 1st and 2nd gen iPod’s were out way before 2003, in fact that was the year the 3rd gen came out, just to let ya know wink so it’s more like “that’s so 2001” lol.

Posted by Matrixsjd on July 13, 2006 at 3:46 PM (PDT)

“That top lid looks pretty flimsy to me.
I wouldn’t trust my iPod in this anywhere near water.”

My thoughts exactly.  I wonder if they would replace my $300 iPod if their $30 product fails?  I doubt it.  But for $30, you can’t complain about this product in any way.  I think it should do well.

Posted by Mike M on July 13, 2006 at 8:29 PM (PDT)

They could have put a sleeve in the interior with a window so that the ipod would sit in a particlar spot and you could see what’s playing, they could have even put a soft window so you could touch the clickwheel to skip to the next song.  Maybe next gen.  Nice idea tho.

Posted by Dave on July 14, 2006 at 7:40 AM (PDT)

It’s the perfect package and size to take my 4G Photo on my Vespa scooter. I have been searching for a package that includes both FM reception and speakers, running on batteries, that will fit in the small storage spaces on a scooter. I hope that it has decent shock-resistence. For $29 I don’t care much what it sounds like. I just don’t want to be stranded out on the road without having access to a local weather report. With this device, I won’t have to hard wire a radio into my scooter, which could compromise the battery and electrical system.

Posted by scooterboi on July 14, 2006 at 4:07 PM (PDT)