art4iTunes.com - generate album art for your iTunes song library | iLounge News

art4iTunes.com - generate album art for your iTunes song library

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, February 2, 2004
News Categories: iTunes

Announcing art4iTunes.com - a website that generates album covers and track listings from your iTunes song list. The album cover can be dropped back into iTunes and displayed whenever the track is played. Artwork can be from US or UK album covers. Have a look and let me know what you think - there’s a demo button to see what it does before uploading your own song list.

« Pepsi+iTunes ad ranked poorly

Digital audio, Apple and Microsoft seeking mutual compatibility? »

Comments

how do you export song list?  It won’t let me do it.

Posted by dave on February 2, 2004 at 8:34 AM (PDT)

I tried this….
When it spits out the albumart… it takes forever to load…. I am on fast broadband ....

so needless to say.. this needs help

Posted by Ed on February 2, 2004 at 8:36 AM (PDT)

Dave,

To export your song list from iTunes, select the File menu, then “Export Song List…”.

When the “Save As” box comes up, change “Save as type” to “Text files (*.txt)” and type in a filename.

Ed,

It usually only takes a couple of seconds per album to request album details from Amazon - but my host’s server is crumbling under the heavy demand at the moment…

Apologies for the current speed - I will move to a faster server if the demand holds up!

RealRadix

Posted by RealRadix on February 2, 2004 at 9:27 AM (PDT)

ya.. i was gonna say…. the server prob is getting hit hard.

I prob wouldnt have launched a site like this unless I had a big pipe behind me.

but thanks for launching it… i hope it gets ironed out.

ps.  just to let you know, i have 1.5 megs down speed, and I only got 4 images in 1 minute.

Posted by ed on February 2, 2004 at 9:54 AM (PDT)

Great idea, however I get this error when trying to access, perhaps this is because of load as well:

Custom error handler: Wrong datatype in ksort() call (/web/sites/180/starburstsw/www.starburstsw.f2s.com/getart/parsealbum.cgi, 297)

Posted by Scott on February 2, 2004 at 10:04 AM (PDT)

Ed,

Glad it’s proving so popular…I’m currently sorting out a faster host.

As you’ve probably worked out, the bottleneck is between art4iTunes.com and Amazon.  Your personal connection speed is largely irrelevant.

Posted by RealRadix on February 2, 2004 at 10:08 AM (PDT)

Scott,

First check that you’ve exported the text file, not the xml version - it’s easy to do!

If you could, email me (click my name) a copy of your library.txt (zipped preferably).

It could well be the server load though :-(

Thanks for your patience.

Posted by RealRadix on February 2, 2004 at 10:13 AM (PDT)

Of course Clutter does a very good job of this as well, http://www.sprote.com/clutter/

MB1010

Posted by Monkeyboy1010 on February 2, 2004 at 10:47 AM (PDT)

Album art. Cool! The dust mites in my jeans pocket are jumping for joy…

Posted by margk on February 2, 2004 at 11:12 AM (PDT)

This is a great site. It works really well, and I started to update my album art. However, my only problem with it is that it displays album art according to alphabetized song name. I think it would be much more helpful if it displayed album art arranged by album so that it would be easier to do mass album art drag-and-drop.

Thanks though for a great site!

Posted by Bagelhegel on February 2, 2004 at 10:36 PM (PDT)

Bagelhegel,

Good idea - I’ll put an option to sort by album name in later today.

Posted by RealRadix on February 2, 2004 at 10:56 PM (PDT)

I don’t have any music sorted in the iTunes library…just on my iPod…I can’t export a song list from there…how can this work for me?

Posted by Fred on February 2, 2004 at 11:00 PM (PDT)

Fred,

How do you move your songs to your iPod?  What program do you use?

Posted by RealRadix on February 2, 2004 at 11:13 PM (PDT)

Great Job !
its slow but it works.
i only added covers for my doors collection (self scanned ) but now most stuff will get there cover.

Posted by kendo on February 3, 2004 at 5:25 AM (PDT)

More servers are on their way!

Posted by RealRadix on February 3, 2004 at 5:47 AM (PDT)

I agree with it being slow, but it works amazingly.  I love being able to add artwork to my iTunes.  That was the one thing i was bummed about when ripping cds, there’s now artwork.  It’s a great site.

Posted by Brian Clewell on February 3, 2004 at 11:48 AM (PDT)

The site is fantastic!  I discovered that if you have multiple cds by a single artist, you can request all covers in one shot.  i.e Beatles, Rubber Soul, Help, Mystery Tour…

Posted by Bill Gleim on February 4, 2004 at 8:36 PM (PDT)

There is now a second server to share the load, but don’t expect lightening fast responses - it is still getting hammered.

If you find any more bugs, please let me know the name of the server you are on - it is shown in the title bar of your browser.

The artwork is sorted by album name now, thanks for the suggestion.

Enjoy!  And more improvements are on the way soon….

Posted by RealRadix on February 5, 2004 at 10:51 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know what the name of the song is in the ipod commercial that is a rock song and keeps saying ride with me?

Posted by Ryan on June 12, 2004 at 8:48 AM (PDT)

I was able to pull up the Album Art but when I try to Drop and Drag the image, I am not allowed to do it. I get the “blocked” icon.

Posted by So Frustrated on June 20, 2005 at 3:02 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >