AT&T adding Personal Hotspot option to iPad plan | iLounge News

AT&T adding Personal Hotspot option to iPad plan

AT&T has announced that it will allow iPads to utilize the Personal Hotspot feature of iOS 4.3. According to the announcement, the Personal Hotspot feature will be available to iPad customers who choose the $25/2GB monthly plan and add the $20 tethering option, which includes an extra 2GB of data that is shared between tethering and normal usage. Previously, tethering was limited to iPhone users. In the same release, the company notes that customers who activate a new postpaid $25/2 GB plan will receive the first month free.

« iPad 2 lines forming at Apple retail stores (Updated x2)

iPad 2 now available for order online »

Comments

Kudos to AT&T for offering to let me pay again got the data I’m already paying for.

Posted by Usdrowski on March 11, 2011 at 9:01 AM (PDT)

Should have been:
Kudos to AT&T for offering to let me pay again for the data I’m already paying for.

Posted by Usdrowski on March 11, 2011 at 10:11 AM (PDT)

@Usdrowski-
Actually, you are paying for an additional 2GB of data. You pay $25 for 2GB of 3G data on your initial plan. Then, if you want to use the tethering/HotSpot, you pay another $20 for an additional 2GB of data.

But I get your overall point. I should be able to use my initial 2GB of data however I see fit. If that is as a HotSpot…so be it. Then AT&T can charge me that $10 per GB for any overages. Now that is how it should be done. Well, that is how it should be done SINCE they eliminated the far better “Unlimited” plan anyway

Posted by Mitch on March 11, 2011 at 10:40 AM (PDT)

I don’t have high data use over 3g, so a 200MB plan on the iphone is $15 and a 3g ipad2 add another 200MB at $15.

It would be far more appreciated by me to have a $25 2GB plan on the iphone and use a personal hotspot for the ipad/laptop as needed.

The $45 4GB plan for the iphone with tethering is $15 wasted. Better to put $130 into a 3g ipad2 (9 months of that extra $15). If ATT lowers the tetherign plan later, I can turn off the ipad2 3g service.

Posted by drakebullet on March 11, 2011 at 10:49 AM (PDT)

@Mitch -
I have the unlimited plan with my phone. Data on my phone or pad should all be the same to a cell tower.

Posted by Usdrowski on March 11, 2011 at 12:17 PM (PDT)

@Usdrowski-
I agree and I too still have my unlimited plan in place. I was just pointing out that you are not simply paying an additional $20 for the privilege of tethering/HotSpot if you are not one of the few on the grandfathered unlimited plan.

Posted by Mitch on March 11, 2011 at 6:49 PM (PDT)

This article is wrong…well, actually it’s AT&T’s press release that’s poorly worded.  The reference to hotspot data is for the iPhone 4, not the iPad.  They’re just pointing out that you can use your iPhone to provide hotspot access for an iPad.

An AT&T PR person has confirmed that…iPhone, not iPad.

Posted by Bob on March 11, 2011 at 9:47 PM (PDT)

Not interested in trading my unlimited data iPad for an inferior plan, but… It dawned on me I hadn’t seen the place in Settings to set up a Personal Hotspot.  I have looked, but can’t find this.  Is this present on the iPad or is it just an iPhone feature?

Posted by John B on March 11, 2011 at 11:24 PM (PDT)

So, Option 1
Drop my unlimited data plan, switch to a 2Gb plan, and add tethering so I get another 2Gb and can use the personal hotspot on my iPhone. Less data more money. HMMMM interesting.
Option 2.
Keep my unlimited data plan and connect my iPad at convenient WiFi hotspots as required. Well, let’s see I don’t go shopping with the thing, Most of the places I take it allow me to use their WiFi.
I think I’ll stick with Option 2.
And BTW, I have yet to top out on my unlimited data plan. Every time I think I am close to the top, it’s like I just get more data.

Posted by Brian Morgan on March 12, 2011 at 6:57 AM (PDT)

I’ve got an additional wrinkle on this issue.  To make a long story short, I was told twice, including once by an AT&T customer service rep who talked to a manager, that I could get the personal hotspot feature enabled with my unlimited data plan since I was grandfathered in as an unlimited data plan user.  After a few phone calls and attempts to implement it, another AT&T manager told me it couldn’t be done and they offered me one of their other options that offered less data but cost more money.  I’ve now contact my state’s attorney general.

Posted by Eric on March 17, 2011 at 8:33 AM (PDT)

Please…I’m sure your attorney general cares about iPad tethering issues.

Posted by Mike on April 3, 2011 at 12:43 AM (PDT)

Eric - Hope your state’s attorney general’s office follows suit. The FCC let’s these new monopolies get away with too much. I have an old unlimited text/data plan that Sprint will not let me keep if I upgrade my phone. I even offered to pay full price for the phone to avoid a 2-yr contract but that was too rejected. Sprint says that my unlimited plan is not compatible with the newer smartphones. This is utter BS because ED-VO, how my current phone connects, is considered a third generation (3G) connection. So, where’s the compatibility issue? My old Windows Mobile (WinMo) 5 Palm Treo was considered a smartphone back when I got it; it not my problem if phones have gotten faster or ‘smarter’. This needs more consumer advocacy attention.

Posted by Rick on April 3, 2011 at 11:10 PM (PDT)

To John B., the personal hotspot feature is on your iPhone if you have updated to the latest software.  You have to set it up, but like many of you, I have the unlimited data plan as well and I will have to give that up to use the personal hotspot/tethering feature and sign up for the $45 month 4GB plan.  I’m not willing to give up my unlimited plan.  It’s a rip-off by AT&T or Apple, whoever has made this decision.  I’m looking into the Mi-Fi to provide me internet access with my iPad while out and about.  Anyone have any information on the Mi-Fi?  It will still require a monthly fee, however.

Posted by Norma on April 7, 2011 at 12:37 PM (PDT)