AT&T announces completed 3G network upgrade | iLounge News

AT&T announces completed 3G network upgrade

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, January 6, 2010
News Categories: iPhone

Exclusive U.S. iPhone carrier AT&T has announced completion of a software upgrade across its 3G cell sites nationwide in preparation for faster speeds. The software upgrade included deployment of High-Speed Packet Access (HSPA) technology, the same used by the iPhone 3GS, to offer download speeds of up to 7.2 megabits per second, provided the cell site has the required backhaul connection. AT&T claims that the deployment of enhanced backhaul connections for the cell sites will occur over the course of 2010 and 2011, adding capacity and boosting speeds.

« Etymotic debuts hf3 headset for iPod, iPhone

Comments

I’m in Charlotte, I see no 3.5G unless my 3GS will not indicate which speed it’s operating on.

Posted by Ryan on January 6, 2010 at 10:24 AM (PDT)

Not sure if the new speeds are in effect yet, but I ran the SpeedTest app on my 3GS and I’m getting download speeds of 120+kb/s whereas before, I would get anywhere from 7-50kb/s

Posted by viperkp on January 6, 2010 at 2:52 PM (PDT)

120Kbps is rather slow.  I get 1500Kbps.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on January 6, 2010 at 4:48 PM (PDT)

Per ATT newsroom—

In addition to the HSPA 7.2 software, initial deployment of backhaul is already underway in the six U.S. cities announced in 2009 as initial HSPA 7.2 markets – Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, and Miami, with capabilities being turned up on a site-by-site basis beginning last month. Further backhaul deployment will continue in these markets and begin in additional markets across the nation. We anticipate that the majority of our mobile data traffic will be carried over the expanded fiber-based, HSPA 7.2-capable backhaul by the end of this year, with deployment continuing to expand in 2011.

Posted by Patrick on January 8, 2010 at 6:34 AM (PDT)

Wow….120Kbps is very slow…for a network that claims “The Fastest 3G Network”....my Verizon phones runs around 800 to 1100 depending on the time of day

Posted by Kayle Michael on January 8, 2010 at 11:41 AM (PDT)

I think he meant that 120 is his downloa speed not total bandwidth.

Posted by Nugget on January 9, 2010 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

speedtest cam back in mbps so what is .04 mbps download and .03mbps upload in kbps?  I am in SE Mo and paying for broadband usb card for two years

Posted by David Newton on January 22, 2010 at 12:30 PM (PDT)