AT&T, Apple reveal 6 iPhone service plans (updated) | iLounge News

AT&T, Apple reveal 6 iPhone service plans (updated)

AT&T and Apple have revealed six service plans for the iPhone. All three plans include unlimited data, Visual Voicemail, 200 SMS text messages, rollover minutes, and unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling. The first plan, priced a $60 a month, includes 450 anytime minutes and 5000 night and weekend minutes. The second, which runs $80 a month, includes 900 anytime minutes and unlimited night and weekend minutes. The third plan offers 1350 anytime minutes and unlimited night and weekend minutes, at a price of $100 a month. Plans four, five, and six offer 2000, 4000, or 6000 minutes for $119.99, $169.99, or $219.99, with unlimited night and weekend minutes. All plans are based on a new two-year service agreement with AT&T, and include a one-time activation fee of $36. Family plans are also available.

“We want to make choosing a service plan simple and easy, so every plan includes unlimited data with direct Internet access, along with Visual Voicemail and a host of other goodies,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We think these three plans give customers the flexibility to experience all of iPhone’s revolutionary features at affordable and competitive prices.” Randall Stephenson, chairman and CEO, AT&T said, “AT&T has invested more than 16 billion dollars in its wireless network between 2005 and 2007, and iPhone customers will enjoy the best voice and data network in the nation.”

« Apple: iPhone’s iPod features only active with new 2-year plan

iPhone to be activated through iTunes »

Comments

Wow, for unlimited data, the $60/month price point is not bad.  I am surprised that they still included roll-over, unlimited mobile to mobile, and family plans.  The 200 text messages may be tight.  Maybe ATT and Apple heard the consumers on the monthly fees!!

Posted by PeteV on June 26, 2007 at 5:59 AM (PDT)

those are actually a lot better than i was expecting. nice work ATT! unfortunately, 200 text messages is cutting it tight. would be nice if i could keep the same package i have now w/ more!

Posted by mdwsta4 on June 26, 2007 at 6:03 AM (PDT)

I am impressed. AT&T actually did it right (Yes, the 200 text messages are kinda grinchy). Makes you wonder if Apple had any say in these plans.

Posted by Adam on June 26, 2007 at 6:07 AM (PDT)

This is GREAT as long as I can add more text messages. *crossing fingers*

Posted by Bethany on June 26, 2007 at 6:07 AM (PDT)

...are those mobile-mobile minutes only within ATT/cingular phones, or to *any* mobile?  if to *any*, i’m interested in a way that i in no way was before.

Posted by OnlyShawn on June 26, 2007 at 6:17 AM (PDT)

I must be the only one that sends about 20 texts a month. I think 200 will do me just fine..

Posted by Niall on June 26, 2007 at 6:21 AM (PDT)

There are actually 6 plans, up to $220/month (including 6000 minutes).  Click on “more minutes”  under the list of rates on apple.com.

Posted by tim on June 26, 2007 at 6:23 AM (PDT)

Looks like the rates for extra SMS are $10 for 1500 messages and $20 for unlimited.

In addition, you can the iPhone to an existing plan. $20 for unlimited data/450 SMS, $30 for 1500 SMS and $40 for unlimited.

Posted by DavidG on June 26, 2007 at 6:35 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know how these plans would work with a Family Plan? I’ve got three lines on my plan, with the second two costing just $9.99 per month. I’m wondering if I can sign up for the $60 iPhone plan and keep the other two at $9.99.

Posted by Jason Clarke on June 26, 2007 at 6:35 AM (PDT)

Looking at the regular individual plans, it looks like the iPhone plans are simply a $20 special add-on data plan and not really new plans in and of themselves. In all cases I can find, the difference between the listed iPhone plans and the standard plan with the same minutes is $20.

Posted by DavidG on June 26, 2007 at 6:40 AM (PDT)

@DavidG

I think that’s what we are most impressed about.  The fact that unlimited data and all the access was only a $20 bump.  I was thinking they would bend us over for a $35 - 50 premium!

Posted by PeteV on June 26, 2007 at 6:45 AM (PDT)

What is an issue (or MAY be depending who you are) is that you would be buying a paperweight w/o ATT activation (see fine print) - that kills the idea of unlocked/non-ATT phones.

Posted by bruckwine on June 26, 2007 at 7:26 AM (PDT)

I flipped when I saw the headline that said “$59 to $99 for iPhone plans” but then I opened the story and realized that the voice minutes were packaged with the data, and that made it much easier to swallow.

Right now, I pay $60 for 700 minutes (unlimited m2m and n/w), $10 for a second line, $40 for my Treo data plan, and $10 for extra text messaging. With fees and taxes the bill generally hovers around $145, so I’m hoping that my monthly charges might actually go DOWN if I do this right, although it’s going to take some number crunching.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on June 26, 2007 at 7:39 AM (PDT)

Wow, they appear to be leaving a ton of money on the table by pricing this relatively low, but I am certainly not complaining.  The “mobile-to-mobile” is the make or break phrase for me because if that applies outside of AT&T then I will be lining up early on Friday!

Posted by Jason on June 26, 2007 at 7:55 AM (PDT)

Jason, I would assume that M2M does NOT include calls to customers on other carriers. As an eight-year Cingular/AT&T customer, I can tell you that “mobile to mobile” definitely applies only to AT&T users.

Also, for the uninitiated, AT&T does some nasty little trickery: calling your voicemail does not count as a mobile-to-mobile call. Instead, it taxes your precious anytime minutes.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on June 26, 2007 at 7:59 AM (PDT)

But I wonder… With the visual voicemail feature, would that also be considered a call to your inbox, taking up minutes? I doubt it.

Posted by iJman on June 26, 2007 at 8:23 AM (PDT)

That’s a good point, iJman. With Visual Voicemail being included and since it uses the scrubber, maybe your limited minutes won’t get docked. Still, AT&T or Apple will need to answer that question.

I wish they hadn’t been quite so chintzy with the text messaging. Even if you don’t text much, 200 averages out to 6 or 7 sent AND received messages per day, and that’s just not a lot when you consider how convenient texting is on a smartphone with a full keyboard (as opposed to the unwieldy nature of texting on a standard phone).

Posted by Flippy Hambone on June 26, 2007 at 8:31 AM (PDT)

The amount of FUD out there is unbelievable <http://daringfireball.net/2007/06/iphone_high_water_mark>, but so is Apple’s public relations campaign. These rates are a homerun. If someone (AOL perhaps?) builds a slick iPhone-friendly AIM client on the Web, few people will care about the SMS limitations.

Posted by technolawyer on June 26, 2007 at 10:14 AM (PDT)

I’m not familiar with the U.S. cell phone market, but what I can say is that the iPhone won’t have the slightest chance to succeed with these prices on the german market.

Over here you can get a flat rate with certain limitations for as little as EUR 25 per month, but many people choose contracts with no monthly base fee and no monthly minute contingent.

I don’t know a single person who speaks 450 minutes a month using his/her cell phone.

Posted by German sausage on June 26, 2007 at 11:12 AM (PDT)

...is this being sold in germany?  Your economy is utterly different than ours, things are always different, man.

Posted by OnlyShawn on June 26, 2007 at 1:58 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >