AT&T begins 850MHz network buildup | iLounge News

AT&T begins 850MHz network buildup

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, August 19, 2009
News Categories: iPhone

AT&T has begun to roll out its 850MHz spectrum in hopes to improve its 3G coverage in densely populated areas. Mobiledia reports that the company has said it will start the rollout in Atlanta, eventually adding more than 540 cell sites to increase network capacity and coverage. Keith Holmes, AT&T’s vice president and general manager, said, “We’re enhancing our network every day to help customers do more with and get more from their wireless connections.” An anecdotal report from TechCrunch indicates that upgrades may also be underway in San Francisco, as editors and contacts have seen improved coverage in that area; an AT&T representative told the publication that “improvements are underway,” and that “[m]ost of this is 850MHz spectrum being added.”

« USB Fever offering mini-boombox speaker for iPod, iPhone

Comments

Will this help for poor reception indoors?

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on August 19, 2009 at 7:15 AM (PDT)

Yes, the lower the frequency the better the penetration through building materials, etc.

Posted by J-in-ATL on August 19, 2009 at 7:51 AM (PDT)

Blah, Blah, Blah….Same Lies Different Day.

Posted by TB on August 19, 2009 at 10:19 AM (PDT)

Um hello…remember New York, the city with nearly 20 million people in it on any given day? Of all the places I’ve visited with my 3G, New York has the SLOWEST, most bogged-down network. It’s unbelievably pathetic.

Posted by A on August 19, 2009 at 1:57 PM (PDT)

I live and work in Manhattan and totally can vouch for the dreadful state of at&t data there. I’ve been to many places in US and NYC is the worst in terms of 3G data. This applies not only to iPhone but to other 3G phones as well.

Posted by Alec on August 19, 2009 at 8:01 PM (PDT)

I live in NW Metro Atlanta and I have already noticed improved 3G coverage and solid signals on a 3GS where there had been none as recently as last month. Now if they would only fix some of the areas nearest to me.

Even the AT&T near me on the EW Connector had a crappy cellular signal which made no sense at all. How can AT&T sell anything but an iPhone from a store like that?

Whoo Hoo, I just checked by turning Wi-Fi off and I now have a solid all bars 3G signal inside my house down low by the creek where is has been basically a rather crappy Edge signal with only one to zero bars. AT&T has been on a roll around here!

This is great as I live on a heavily wooded lot and those tall trees eat up the cellular signal in the summer time. It can only get better as we move into fall and winter!

This is really making a deference.

Marietta GA

Posted by Vic on August 21, 2009 at 2:23 AM (PDT)

In Australia at least, the 850MHz (and 900MHz) spectrum is mainly used for low population density areas because it propagates over a longer distance, but can handle less traffic than the 1800MHz and 1900MHz networks that are mainly used in the big cities. Therefore it doesn’t make sense to me that they would be using 850MHz in big cities…

Posted by Bryn on August 22, 2009 at 12:47 AM (PDT)