AT&T begins U.S. iPhone MMS rollout | iLounge News

AT&T begins U.S. iPhone MMS rollout

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, September 14, 2009
News Categories: iPhone

Anecdotal reports from across the U.S. indicate that AT&T has begun to roll out MMS messaging for iPhone users ahead of its announced September 25 launch date. A forum thread on Howard Forums contains reports from users as widespread as Southern California and Rhode Island saying that their MMS service suddenly started working, often times after upgrading to iPhone OS 3.1, which also includes an updated carrier file, version 5.0. At this point, it is unclear what criteria—if any—AT&T is using to select which customers will receive the service early, of it it plans to continue activating MMS for iPhone users in the days leading up to the official launch. [via Consumerist]

« Every 2009 iPod, reviewed, photographed + more

Bowers & Wilkins intros Zeppelin Mini iPod speaker »

Comments

I’ll have to sync mine again tonight to see if I get lucky.

Posted by Ryan on September 14, 2009 at 1:14 PM (PDT)

As of right now, its not active in Arizona. I’m using an iPhone 3G running OS 3.1 and ATT Carrier profile 5.0. It’s all good though. Just glad its finally being activated.

Posted by Julian on September 14, 2009 at 1:54 PM (PDT)

I am in D.C. and have read reports of users in my area having this capability turned on. I am running 3.1 and have the 5.0 carrier file…but no MMS yet. It seems to be very scattered. Even in the same market and on similarly configured phones. Does anyone know any tricks to refresh? Maybe I will try a restore to see if that might force something.

Posted by Mitch on September 14, 2009 at 2:14 PM (PDT)

From what I am reading, people are getting it randomly, and others by manually changing the carrier profile.

Posted by Julian on September 14, 2009 at 2:23 PM (PDT)

How would you know if it’s active? Do you just have to keep trying to send a picture text?

Posted by Merf on September 14, 2009 at 4:21 PM (PDT)

It’s just hype, I’ve been reading user comments all over the web.  Not a single person is reporting that MMS is working on their iPhone in the US.  I think AT&T is just trying to stir up the pot before their Grand Entrance!

Posted by R on September 15, 2009 at 3:40 AM (PDT)

I strongly advise against manually updating the carrier file—allow the network provider to update it, as you can cause problems and headaches doing it yourself.

Posted by impaler on September 19, 2009 at 4:21 PM (PDT)

I tried last week but it didn’t work until this morning.

Posted by solar on September 21, 2009 at 11:45 AM (PDT)

My Chicago friends and I don’t have it yet.  Eagerly waiting.

Posted by Nick on September 21, 2009 at 2:31 PM (PDT)

I manually updated the carrier file on my 3G last Wednesday (16SEP) and have been enjoying MMS ever since. I have sent and received several pictures and videos from friends and family in Florida and DC. Check out the article use in that last sentence!

Posted by Michael in Alaska on September 22, 2009 at 1:40 AM (PDT)