AT&T bumps up iPhone upgrade dates further | iLounge News

AT&T bumps up iPhone upgrade dates further

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, June 7, 2010
News Categories: iPhone

AT&T has moved up the iPhone upgrade eligibility dates for a number of iPhone 3GS users, signaling the imminent arrival of the fourth-generation model. Several readers, along with at least two iLounge editors, report having their AT&T upgrade eligibility status updated over the weekend, changing their dates for eligibility from later in the year to immediate eligibility. This is the second time AT&T has changed some users’ eligibility dates prior to the fourth-generation model’s introduction. The company moved some eligibility dates from November 21 to June 21 last month; it’s unclear whether these same users are now available for immediate upgrades. AT&T customers can instantly check their upgrade eligibility dates by calling *639# from their iPhones. Apple CEO Steve Jobs is expected to officially unveil the fourth-generation iPhone during his WWDC keynote address, which begins at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time today.

« Nike and Polar intro Nike+ heart rate monitor

MobileMe changes point to tiered membership »

Comments

they are telling me I have to pay an $18 upgrade fee…is that the norm?

Posted by Stark-Arts on June 7, 2010 at 7:12 AM (PDT)

@Stark-Arts Yes, that is norm.

Posted by Adam on June 7, 2010 at 7:34 AM (PDT)

I got a 3G last year (6-6-09). I can’t get the discounted price until next year. I guess it’s only available for those who bought the 3GS.

Posted by J.B. on June 7, 2010 at 8:03 AM (PDT)

wish this would happen in the UK, my upgrade date still stays as 17.03.2011 :-(

Posted by godfrem on June 7, 2010 at 8:07 AM (PDT)

My eligibility has been changed.  I bought the 3GS last year a few days after the release.  My upgrade date was November of this year but has been bumped up so that I can get a new iPhone with a new 2-year contract and $18 upgrade fee.

Posted by iphonefanboi on June 7, 2010 at 8:45 AM (PDT)

Could AT&T be trying to rope people in for one last contract because another carrier is getting the iPhone this summer? My biggest fear is upgrading to the new model now only to find Verizon or Sprint get the iPhone in August.

Posted by sterling on June 7, 2010 at 8:53 AM (PDT)

How do you even check? I was trying to find a date on the ATTwireless site and it seemed to lack any hard info. I would click upgrade eligibility and it would just bring me to a bunch of phones I could buy. I know in the past I was easily able to find an actual date… maybe I can’t now because I’m now eligible?

Posted by ort on June 7, 2010 at 8:59 AM (PDT)

My question is…do you only pay the $18 or do you have to also pay the $399 or however much it’s going to cost for the phone.  Probably a dumb question but I’m confused.  Also, if you upgrade to the new phone does that mean you can’t keep the $30 unlimited data plan?  If you can’t keep that then I don’t want the upgrade.  I’m on my phone constantly since my laptop died so it wouldn’t be ideal for my situation.

Posted by emphoto on June 7, 2010 at 9:11 AM (PDT)

sterling - AT&T did the same thing last year following the 3GS release. It is just a way to get folks to buy the new phone and sign up for an updated contract (in this case, the new limited data contracts).

emphoto - Yes, you will have to pay the purchase price of the phone along with the $18 fee. Last year it was $199 (16GB) or $299 (32GB). I would assume it will be about the same.

Posted by Mitch on June 7, 2010 at 10:03 AM (PDT)

I have had my AT&T account for two years.  When I dial the *639# all I get is a message that the information is not available and try back?  It has been telling me that ever since the number was published.  What gives?

Posted by Paul Atkinson on June 7, 2010 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

I bought a 3G in March ‘09. I shouldnt be eligible for upgrade until next year. I dialed *639# and got a message that I am eligible for an upgrade without the $18 upgrade fee. Am I really eligible this early?

Posted by Jim on June 7, 2010 at 3:12 PM (PDT)

I wonder if mitch knows what he’s talking about? I seriously doubt they would take your unlimited plan away in order for you to get the new iphone. That would piss off a lot of people and hinder sales of the new phone. Why give you an early upgrade then take away your present plan? Silly1

Posted by ralph on June 7, 2010 at 3:46 PM (PDT)