AT&T clarifies data throttling policy for ‘unlimited’ users | iLounge News

AT&T clarifies data throttling policy for ‘unlimited’ users

In response to growing customer unrest over its decision to throttle the data speeds of customers on “unlimited” data plans who were among the top five percent of users in their area, AT&T has posted a new support page clarifying its policies. According to the company, customers on unlimited data plans will see their data speeds throttled any time they exceed 3GB of usage for the month; their speeds will return to normal once a new billing cycle begins. “You’ll still be able to use as much data as you want. That won’t change”, the page states. “Only your data throughput speed will change if you use 3GB or more in one billing cycle on a 3G or 4G smartphone or 5GB or more on a 4G LTE smartphone.” Notably, customers on unlimited data plans pay $30/month on AT&T, the same amount the company charges for 3GB of capped data; users on the latter plan have the option of tethering, while customers on unlimited plans do not.

« Reflection offers AirPlay Mirroring from iOS to Mac

Discussion of Retina iPad outlines potential dev hardships »

Comments

And AT&T wonders why so many of us are unhappy with the current conditions. They didn’t even provide 3G service in my area until this past summer, and I was paying $30 a month for unlimited data that I could barely even use, just *hoping* that someday they’d give us data speeds that made it data usage viable. And now those of us who were grandfathered in are basically being punished for being loyal customers. I hate AT&T.

Posted by Matdredalia on March 1, 2012 at 8:50 PM (PDT)

EXACTLY why I left AT&T. The don’t honor a product they designed, they have zero understanding of customer service, and they don’t know how to keep records. I left in October 2011 and still have to call on a regular basis to remind them not to send me bills anymore.

People just need to take their business elsewhere, and maybe they’d listen.

Posted by Eric Blackburn on March 1, 2012 at 9:33 PM (PDT)

I’m out of contract in August. I will jump ship when the new iPhone 5 comes out, because I don’t want to cross over to Verizon and buy a new iPhone 4S for a couple of months. If the 5 comes out in June, I’ll jump ship early and eat the termination fee. If it doesn’t come out until fall, I’ll bear with it a few extra months, but ATT has seen the last of my contract once I’m out of this one.Too many cutbacks, bad speeds is what’s doing it to me.

Posted by Sylvie McGee on March 2, 2012 at 10:26 PM (PDT)

Did people really expect that it would stay unlimited forever ?

Posted by Dick Bacon on March 3, 2012 at 4:11 PM (PDT)

When my contract comes up in August I’m ready to try anyone but ATT. This nonsense, the customer service, and the completely criminal international charges have left me with no positive feelings for them.

Posted by Randy Murray on March 4, 2012 at 7:16 AM (PDT)

@4: What possible reason would anyone have had to assume it wouldn’t (beyond the fact it’s AT&T wink)?

Historically speaking, every version of electronic data transfer has become cheaper over time. The idea that something that was possible to grant four years ago is less possible to grant today defies logic and past business trends.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on March 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM (PDT)

“The idea that something that was possible to grant four years ago is less possible to grant today defies logic and past business trends.”

Except that there are tens of millions of iphones and ipads on the system now that weren’t there 4 years ago.  I for one and glad that they are throttling and wish they would end it outright, so the data-hogs who think they should be able to watch videos all day don’t slow it down for the rest of us.

Posted by Dick Bacon on March 6, 2012 at 9:56 PM (PDT)