AT&T confirms cheaper data plan discussions | iLounge News

AT&T confirms cheaper data plan discussions

Following a report from earlier this week claiming that AT&T was considering a limited data access plan for iPhone users which would drop the monthly cost of an iPhone by $10, AT&T Mobility CEO Ralph de la Vega has confirmed that the company is contemplating cheaper data offerings. The executive explained that it would be costly for them to cut the price on unlimited Internet access, but that the company could offer more limited package for a lower fee. “Right now we continue to study what is the best thing that is available, not just from an iPhone point of view, but what you can do to stimulate additional demand,” said de la Vega, adding, “[w]e view Apple as a strategic partner for us, a very good partner to have now and into the future.”

« Apple rejects book reader Eucalyptus over content

Tapulous releases Dave Matthews Band Revenge »

Comments

How about lower voice plans? As it is, I only use about 100 minutes per month.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on May 21, 2009 at 8:01 AM (PDT)

How about not gouging us for texts?  I would be happy with $30 unlimited data + unlimited texts.  Or maybe $20 for 250 MB data if it included 200 Texts.

Posted by Dyvim on May 21, 2009 at 8:41 AM (PDT)

Don’t be fooled by AT&T;.  Rarely does a company voluntarily lower costs because of the kindness of their hearts. If they make the limited data plan cap at 150-200 megabytes then many people will go over that limit and incur whopping overage charges.  This plan will make more money for the company in the long run.  It’s pretty smart idea if you think about it.  Have you seen how much some of their plans charge for data by the KB?  It’s just crazy how much we pay these jackals in this day & age.

Posted by Jason Cliche on May 21, 2009 at 8:58 AM (PDT)

Anything would be nice. I want to get two iPhones for my wife and I and the extra data plan charges add up quick. It’s a lot of money.

Posted by ort on May 21, 2009 at 8:59 AM (PDT)

how about a more lreliable coverage in south west of Georgia. I would appreciate this 100%

Posted by dennis on May 21, 2009 at 10:02 AM (PDT)

I wish I could chose a less costly voice plan - I don’t come close to using the 450 minutes and all the night & weekend minutes, the lowest plan they offer for $39.99.  They can rollover all the minutes they’d like but they’re useless to me…I’d love to shave $10 off my plan this way. And charging for text messages is completely bogus for any company…

Posted by metronomic on May 21, 2009 at 10:52 AM (PDT)

“Rarely does a company voluntarily lower costs because of the kindness of their hearts.”

Well, sure, but sometimes you have to lower prices to stay competitive. Their are a lot of nice smart phones on the market now, and a lot of bitter competition between wireless companies.

Posted by ort on May 21, 2009 at 11:19 AM (PDT)

AT&T;Is so full of crap.. They would lose money by cutting the Unlimited Data Plan?  I call ########… they made 15 Billion in gross profit and over 3 Billion net profit in the March 09 quarter.  I think they need to quit with the greedy attitude and do something worthwhile to cut rate plans for users. They could cut $5/10 off the plans and STILL make almost 3 Billion in profit a quarter.

Posted by David B on May 21, 2009 at 11:44 AM (PDT)

well i honestly could care less about the data package and thats whats screwing me up on the whole iphone 3g debacle if the current scheme still is like this i might as well buy an unlocked iphone since i could not think about sinking 30bones for “unlimited internet” on the iphone

Posted by deezfit on May 21, 2009 at 4:39 PM (PDT)

I’d prefer both cheaper data and voice plans. Last month I used 120MB and less than 100 minutes. Give me a 200 minute voice/1GB data plan for $20 less a month and I’d be very happy (and I’m sure you’d get a ton more customers).

Posted by Railrider on May 21, 2009 at 7:39 PM (PDT)

Since ATT seem to be in no hurry to finish the roll-out of 3G, maybe they should consider offering a ‘rural’ plan for those of us who don’t live or work in one of the 20 largest cities in the U.S. A plan that includes unlimited EDGE data for free (or maybe $5) and a per-Megabyte rate for 3G usage.
It’s been nearly a year since I bought the iPhone 3G, and despite my various travels, I have yet to pick up a 3G signal.

Posted by Paul on May 22, 2009 at 3:59 PM (PDT)

ATT is a greedy phone company that deserves to lose customers! Their prices are ridiculously high while offering so-so coverage and customer service!!

ATT will milk the iPhone subscribers dry until their phone agreement with Apple ends since it knows that MANY iPhone users will Defect to other carriers once the lock-up period ends. Hopefully, the Unlocking of the iPhones will be available on an OFFICIAL basis then!

How about if ATT has just a phone plan that relatively competitive, say 500 minutes/month for $40 with rollover minutes? Who the heck needs data access when the iPhone has Wifi??

Weird thing is, the iPhone isn’t really a “great” phone but a decent one. Save some money and buy the iTouch and use a regular phone!

Seriously, iPhone users, get a LIFE!!!

Posted by Mojo on May 22, 2009 at 10:10 PM (PDT)

Most everything has been said…I’d like to see the total package reworked. 1) just using it as a phone 2)phone-text ~~ 10) phone-text-internet-nav and not make it when you have a family of 3,4,5 phone where it costs 3,4,5 times as much as one.  I thought these were “family” plans?

Posted by Steve on May 25, 2009 at 2:56 AM (PDT)

I have an att text message plan for 20$, but I can access the internet by texting and receiving web pages in text messages.  I consider the att text messages plan much better than the verizon one.

Posted by mike on June 9, 2009 at 11:04 PM (PDT)