AT&T denies 6/29 rate plan claim, will announce earlier | iLounge News

AT&T denies 6/29 rate plan claim, will announce earlier

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Thursday, June 21, 2007
News Categories: iPhone

According to AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel, a report today that AT&T will wait until the day of iPhone’s launch to disclose rate plans for the device is inaccurate. “We will disclose before the 29th,” said Siegel, noting that customers will be able to show up at stores that day knowing how much they will be charged for both the Apple-developed hardware and AT&T’s cellular service plans. “It’s not going to be anything exotic,” Siegel told iLounge, confirming that there will be separate voice and data services components to its iPhone service plans, rather than the one-size-fits-all plans some had expected. As previously stated by both companies, and re-confirmed by Siegel, a two-year service commitment will still be required.

« Will you line up for iPhone? Enter our poll!

DLO intros TuneStik FM transmitter »

Comments

This is excellent news, although an iPhone without data wouldn’t allow you to use all the features.  Still, it’s nice to know you are able to split the voice and data.

Posted by ajmiarka on June 21, 2007 at 11:49 AM (PDT)

While anything is possible, I highly doubt the unlimited data plan will be more than the blackberry unlimited plan which runs $49.99 a month. On the other end, I currently have an unlimited MediaNET plan on AT&T at $24.99 a month. My bet is on a combined Data and SMS plan around $39.99, although I’d be very happy if it were less.

Posted by Charles Plater on June 21, 2007 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

your trying to tell me that being an AT & T subscriber with 1.5 years left on my contract… i will have to tack on another 2 years?????? CMON!!!

Posted by Danny Bogue on June 21, 2007 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

Danny - No, I don’t think they’ll add the 2 years to your existing contract. They’ll just give you a new 2-year contract starting from the day you get your iPhone.

Posted by Adam J. Bezark on June 21, 2007 at 1:12 PM (PDT)

Actually, you guys are probably both wrong…....Danny, I’d be surprised if they even give you an iPhone wihtout paying full price…...You are most likely (with 18 months left on your contract) not eligible for an upgrade…....They’ll probably make you pay full price (whatever that may be), or you may want to just pay an early termination fee and get out that way

Hence, I NEVER sign a 2 year contract—-just can’t deal with them…....Plus, having comfortable parents who love to spoil me is a plus!

Posted by Jacob on June 21, 2007 at 3:47 PM (PDT)

I believe $499 and $599 are the full prices.  As I understand it, Apple is not allowing AT&T to subsidize the price.

Posted by Darren on June 21, 2007 at 3:59 PM (PDT)

$499/$599 are the SUBSIDIZED prices…......AKA, if you sign up for a 2 year contract, that is what you’re paying

This could still change, but as of right now, Apple/att have not announced any changes to these prices

Posted by Jacob on June 21, 2007 at 4:11 PM (PDT)

Jacob is absolutely wrong.  Are you just assuming this stuff or what?  I have 1 year left on my AT&T/Cingular contract.  After I pay $600 for my new iPhone a week from Fri.. I will have 2 years left instead of 1 year and I will pay what everyone else pays for the 8GB model.  The fact that I’m not “eligible for an upgrade” has nothing to do with the price.  AT&T has already said that current subscribers can purchase an iPhone for the same price as non-subscribers or eligible upgraders. Don’t talk about this stuff like you know what you’re talking about if in fact, you have no idea.

Posted by pat on June 21, 2007 at 4:53 PM (PDT)

I was in an AT&T store today and they told me that the purchase would require both a data and voice plan. They said they didn’t know what the specifics would be for those plans but they showed me the PDA plans that they currently offer and said these would likely be close. I did a little pushback to see if there is a reason the data plan is required. I told the guy I just want to use the phone as a phone/ipod and rely on WiFi for internet. He seemed a little confused but he didn’t totally back down from the claim about the data plan. My primary location for using the iPhone will be around a college campus where WiFi is relatively ubiquitous.

Posted by mark on June 21, 2007 at 4:58 PM (PDT)

There is no subsidy on iphones. What you pay for his the full price of the hardware. There are no discounts or up-charges. Apple set the prices and that is what AT&T has to charge for them, no more no less. This is a rare instance where the signing of a contract affords you no discount whatsoever. Being as such, purchasing the iPhone should not preclude or delay any earned or future subsidy handset discount.

Posted by Hass on June 21, 2007 at 5:31 PM (PDT)

Phone is $1000 w/o contract, but they won’t be selling any w/o contract for now.

Posted by allen on June 21, 2007 at 5:50 PM (PDT)

I don’t think an iPhone will be ever be sold without a contract. If it is, its one of those Chinese knock-offs that just came out recently. AT&T and Apple wouldn’t risk losing profit through not having a required wireless plan, and even the unlocking of the iPhone itself. Although I wish the iPhone could be purchased without a contract, its not worth $1000. Thats a stupid move, and it would never cost that much. Blackberry’s and other smartphones/PDAs are way cheaper.

Posted by Cameron on June 21, 2007 at 8:03 PM (PDT)

the ipod will be sold without a contract.  you know how?  EBAY. because salespeople will be able to buy the device and will sell the device for a profit. It is always amazing how many devices from all carriers show up there.

Posted by Jeff Reineke on June 21, 2007 at 8:28 PM (PDT)

I think the iphone will be a set price. Because both apple and at&t stores will be selling it, I don’t see the apple stores selling plans so how can you charge to different prices?

Posted by appleconsumer on June 21, 2007 at 8:48 PM (PDT)

I have been a cingular customer since it was first at&t. And from personal experiance, I can say that I have upgraded my phone 6 months in to a contract period, with out inccuring any penalties. There main conern is that you remain with them as a customer.

Posted by hector on June 22, 2007 at 12:08 AM (PDT)

Who cares if you can’t buy the phone without a contract. Even if you could (such as ebay), where are you going to use it? It’s already been stated that it will be locked to AT&Ts; network and even if someone finds a way around that, its also been stated that it will only work on a network with Apple servers installed “deep” inside the hardware….

Posted by shawn on June 22, 2007 at 1:48 AM (PDT)

guys,
there are 3 service plans for iphone:
1. 450 anytime mins + 200 text messages + 5000 min night and weekend for 59.99$

2. 900 anytime mins + 200 text messages + unlimited night and weekend for 79.99$

3. 1350 anytime mins + 200 text messages + unlimited night and weekend for 99.99$

all plans come with unlimited data, visual voicmail, rollover minutes, and unlimited mobile-to-mobile

hope this helps.

Posted by chhay on June 26, 2007 at 6:22 AM (PDT)

AT&T is going to allow ANYONE to upgrade to the iPhone because the customer will be paying full retail price for that phone(as it is now done). Their contracts will be reset from the date of purchase to a new 2year one.

Posted by Mole on June 26, 2007 at 10:25 PM (PDT)

the new iPhone rate plans will be as follow:

Customers are presented with six plans to choose from during the activation process. Every plan includes:

Unlimited Data Service
Visual Voicemail
Rollover Minutes
Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
———————————————————
Individual Plans:
price/anytime mins/sms mgs/N&W mins
59.99/450/200/5000
79.99/900/200/unltd
99.99/1350/200/untld
119.99/2000/200/untld
169.99/4000/200/untld
219.99/6000/200/untld

Posted by Mole on June 26, 2007 at 10:26 PM (PDT)

I just thinking How much is the iphone with contract of 2 years? for a 4 gb is $499 but with contract , humnnn hmmm

Posted by Marie on June 27, 2007 at 9:36 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >