AT&T details iPhone 4 upgrade pricing | iLounge News

AT&T details iPhone 4 upgrade pricing

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, June 7, 2010
News Categories: iPhone

AT&T has announced details of its upgrade pricing scheme for the iPhone 4. According to the company, new customers, upgrade eligible customers, as well as any iPhone customer who would be upgrade eligible for a discounted device by the end of 2010 will be able to purchase the iPhone 4 at the $199 and $299 price points with a new two-year agreement. AT&T customers can instantly check their upgrade eligibility dates by calling *639# from their iPhones; several iPhone 3GS users, including at least two iLounge editors, have reported that they are already listed as being upgrade eligible. For iPhone customers whose upgrade eligibility date is some time in 2011, AT&T is offering early upgrade pricing of $399 for the 16GB iPhone 4 and $499 for 32GB units, again with a new two-year agreement. Finally, customers who choose not to sign a new agreement are eligible for AT&T’s no commitment pricing, which is $599 for the 16GB model and $699 for the 32GB model. Apple will launch the iPhone 4 on June 24; pre-orders open on June 15.

Update: For more information, see our Complete Guide to What U.S. Users Will Pay for iPhone 4.

« Apple posts WWDC 2010 keynote video stream

WWDC App Debuts: iMovie, Guitar Hero, Netflix, Farmville »

Comments

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I’m new to ATT and the US telecommunications system. If I choose to not sign a 2 yr contract and pay the no commitment pricing, would I use something akin to a monthly pay-you-go contract that ATT has? Is this similar to the Asian or European system where you buy the phone then choose the plan you want?

Posted by mylu on June 7, 2010 at 3:35 PM (PDT)

So, if my upgrade eligibility WAS December 31, 2010, I can upgrade now, BUT if my upgrade eligibility WAS January 1, 2010, then I have to wait until January 1.

It should be 6 months earlier for everyone. Thanks a lot, AT&T.

Posted by Natrino on June 7, 2010 at 4:35 PM (PDT)

[blah blah blah] It should be 6 months earlier for everyone. Thanks a lot, AT&T…

...Can’t please everyone, they had to cut off at some point in time.  Oh well :(

Posted by benjitek on June 7, 2010 at 6:35 PM (PDT)

Wonder what the data plan scams will look like.

Posted by Gentle on June 7, 2010 at 6:43 PM (PDT)

People who signed a 2 year contract AFTER, and have a newer phone, are about to get the newest iPhone cheaper. Way to reward long(er)time customers.

Posted by Natrino on June 7, 2010 at 6:45 PM (PDT)

I called ATT today about the new data plans, as I am on a business plan, and the man told me that as long as I was just swapping phones (3G for iPhone 4) then I wound not have to go on one of the new data plans unless I wanted to, and I could keep my unlimited data since I am an already existing and current customer that wouldn’t be changing my contract.

Posted by Jon on June 7, 2010 at 6:48 PM (PDT)

so can i upgrade if I have the iPhone 3G?

Posted by Hansel on June 7, 2010 at 7:55 PM (PDT)

I understand that there will be a different SIM card format w/the new phone. Will you be able to transfer data from my original SIM card to the new phone? At this point this is my only option, the logic board on my iMac crapped out & all I have left is the hard drive, which has been removed.

Posted by Michael Shadrock on June 7, 2010 at 8:00 PM (PDT)

@Michael Shadrock
When I switched to AT&T from TMobile, I brought in my old SIM and a USB drive and they copied all the info onto that, then transferred it onto my new SIM for free.

Posted by Sarah on June 7, 2010 at 8:09 PM (PDT)

@ 8 and 9,

As long as you take in your sim card to the ATT store they should have a machine that can copy it to a new sim card (and I would assume a micro sim) as I have had this done before to make a back up of my contacts.

Posted by Jon on June 7, 2010 at 8:21 PM (PDT)

My wife and I were talking the other day, and I asked her if we ever had a iPhone-iPhone conversation without at least 1 dropped call.  We both realized we never had a conversation without redialing.  If the phone was free with a 2 year extension, I wouldn’t do it.  Until the iPhone moves to a reliable network, it’s no option for me.  Love the phone, hate the service.

Posted by Earldom in Los Angeles, CA on June 7, 2010 at 9:29 PM (PDT)

If you think Verizon could handle 10 million added customers in 1-2 years and not experience similar problems you’re crazy. With every new iPhone customer wanting to text, MMS, download stuff, check email, and all that stuff. Any service provider would have gad issues. I, on the other hand, have not had one single issue with AT&T in the 6 years I have been with them. AT&T to Cingular and back again, not one issue. Ever. AllTel however was horrible…

Posted by Jason on June 7, 2010 at 11:02 PM (PDT)

My contract isn’t up until next June, yet ATT is offering me an upgrade with a new 2 year agreement and an $18 upgrade fee. I can wait until January though, and plan to hold off until we see what comes with Verizon’s 4G network rollout. If VZ makes enough progress this year, Apple may just have an alternative to announce in January.

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on June 8, 2010 at 5:10 AM (PDT)

Maybe I’m missing something here, but no one really knows for sure about what upgrades we are eligible for. AT&T does not yet list the iPhone 4, so how do we know what tier dwe are at? For example, the 32gb iPhone 4 could go for anywhere from $299 to $599 if you are listed as “eligible” ($699 if not eligible), depending on what tier they stick you in. I’ve seen no info yet that tells us exactly what our pricing will be. Both the web site and the $18 upgrade text message say you are eligible for upgrade pricing, but not exactly what the pricing will be. Again, am I missing something?

Posted by Dale on June 8, 2010 at 5:51 AM (PDT)

yes you are missing something -
it’s pretty clear - if they say you are eligeble with the 18 dollar fee (which is ######## - what is that fee for?) then you can upgrade at the intro price and keep you existing data plans etc…at the same prices

Posted by Stark-Arts on June 8, 2010 at 7:58 AM (PDT)

Well I called ATT yesterday, and I was told that for the upgrade I was NOT eligable This is because yeah my upgrade is in august 10, but my CONTRACT is not till April 11.
Not a HUGE deal for me but kinda misleading

Also when upgrading I would have to forfit my unlimited data, and go with one of the new plans. Again not a huge deal for me but kinda upsetting.

Posted by john on June 8, 2010 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

I’m a current 3GS user only 1/2-way through the 2-year agreement, and ineligible for an upgrade. If I decide to buy a new iPhone at the “no commitment” price, I assume that keeps me in my current plan (including unlimited data), correct? If so, how do I get a new micro-SIM card, since (unlike with any i-less Phones) I can’t use the SIM card from my current 3GS in the new iPhone?

Posted by Herr Doktor on June 8, 2010 at 10:40 AM (PDT)

I have an at&t contract that is eligible for an upgrade in september. I do not, however, have an iPhone. Websites seem a little conflicted as to whether or not the bumped up upgrade is ONLY available to existing iPhone users or whether it is to anyone who is eligible for an upgrade (not an end of a contract, just an upgrade) regardless of phone….

Has anyone sans iPhone spoken to AT&T about this?

Posted by Caitlin on June 8, 2010 at 11:32 AM (PDT)

Hi, I am a Sri Lankan and I have Iphone 3gs, can I upgrade my 3gs phone to 4g. If so please advice me how to do it and if there are any additional payment that i need to do? Thank you

Posted by Saveen on August 1, 2010 at 11:34 PM (PDT)