AT&T doubling 3G network speeds, expanding coverage | iLounge News

AT&T doubling 3G network speeds, expanding coverage

By Jesse Hollington

Social Media & Software Editor, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, May 27, 2009
News Categories: iPhone

AT&T announced today that it will be upgrading its existing 3G network to provide significantly faster mobile Internet speeds. The upgrade to High-Speed Packet Access technology will provide 7.2 Mbps speeds, doubling the current 3G network speed and serving as a step toward the deployment of an even higher-speed LTE (4G) network in the future. In addition, AT&T has announced plans to enhance its mobile broadband coverage by nearly doubling its wireless 3G spectrum in most metropolitan areas to provide better in-building coverage and network capacity. These improvements will be rolled out later this year, and the company expects to have them fully deployed by the end of 2011.

« Purported next-gen iPhone bezel shows speaker, color changes?

Sirius XM depicts iPhone app, shopping feature »

Comments

I can’t WAIT, I still have to use an online version like interactive iphone but hopefully I will be able to get this new one for Christmas and those speeds look sweet!!!

Posted by iNEEDaniPhone on May 27, 2009 at 1:17 PM (PDT)

So, does this mean I will actually get speeds faster average speeds than the 50Kbps I get now on EDGE, when I upgrade to the new iPhone?  I’ll believe it when I see it.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on May 27, 2009 at 1:52 PM (PDT)

Half a year later, all 3G development has stopped.
AT&T;will begin announcing LTE in all metro’ areas by 2014, until that also gets delayed, /clap

Posted by asdfasdf on May 27, 2009 at 2:00 PM (PDT)

How about providing 3G to areas beside a select number very large cities before working on upgrading only these cities again.

Posted by sean on May 27, 2009 at 3:29 PM (PDT)

Wait, does this provide evidence that the new iPhone will be a 3.75G, or does it mean that if a 3.75G iPhone comes out, it won’t be able to use the upgrade in data speed until “later this year”?

Posted by AlexL on May 27, 2009 at 5:40 PM (PDT)

I was in Birmingham, AL, and had very limited 3G connectivity.  I’ve now spent 5 days in Panama City, and have yet to see a 3G connection.
The coverage down here is horrible.  I can’t believe AT&T;would not put 3G here.  People flock to the beaches.  I see a ton of iPhones, and when I ask them if they can get a 3G connection, they say the same thing.  People are pissed.

Posted by Dick Fer on June 2, 2009 at 5:27 AM (PDT)