AT&T drops iPhone 3G refurbs by $50 | iLounge News

AT&T drops iPhone 3G refurbs by $50

AT&T has lowered its prices on refurbished iPhone 3G units for a limited time, bringing the initial price of the iPhone below $100 for the first time. The company is selling 8GB models for $99, while 16GB models see a similar discount to $199. AT&T’s site states that the lower prices will be available through December 31, after which they will return to $150 and $250, respectively. According to AT&T, all refurbished iPhone 3Gs carry a warranty of 90 days or more, and may have “minor scratches.”

« iPod touch drives holiday app sales, traffic

Wal-Mart now selling iPhone 3G »

Comments

I wish I could trade my iPhone in for a replacement.  It has never been dropped yet Apple says they will not warranty the cracks in the back case citing mishandling.  I’ve never had another phone fall apart as this one is.

Posted by Ryan on December 30, 2008 at 6:07 AM (PDT)

Ryan, I’ve dropped my phone several times. I even dropped it from the top bunk in my parents’ guest room. It’s landed on everything from hardwood to concrete. It’s got a few dings in it, but otherwise it’s FINE. Seriously, you would have to take a hammer to it to end up with cracks. This has been the most durable phone I’ve ever owned. The only crack involved is what you’re apparently smoking.

Posted by urbanslaughter on December 30, 2008 at 9:58 AM (PDT)

#2: Cracks developed in our white iPhone 3G within days of purchase, and without any sort of abuse whatsoever. It’s unreasonable to suggest that someone’s smoking crack because they have experienced what many other users have been talking about for six months now; the plastic clearly has issues.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on December 30, 2008 at 11:08 AM (PDT)

Ryan: I JUST had my iPhone replaced at the Apple store. However, it wasn’t easy. Three cracks appeared on the bottom: one directly in line with the edge of the dock connector slot, and two around the screws. I made a Genius appointment and they denied the replacement stating, “Apple doesn’t replace based on cosmetic issues”. I was incensed since if Apple didn’t care so much about “cosmetic issues” their entire lineup of products wouldn’t look so good. So, I dialed 611 from my iPhone and got through to Apple Care and THEY created what they called a “case number” for me and they said that stores MUST replace the phone when there is a case # from Apple Care. I called the Apple store that same day and they said for me to come in on a space-available basis since they were full up on Genius appointments. They finally were able to see me and I’m now in posession of a crack-free white iPhone 3G! Try it!

Posted by Matt Dunn on December 30, 2008 at 11:40 AM (PDT)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

My iPhone has a tiny crack near the headphone jack and one near the power button.  It also has a crack near the dock connector that extends upwards towards the 16gb label but not nearly that far.

I even have a ding in the side of which I don’t know how it got there.  It seems as though I have a faulty back like many of you have said.

Posted by Ryan on January 2, 2009 at 6:24 AM (PDT)

OK, to be fair, I was discussing the first generation iPhone, not the 3G, but Jeremy, you’re a smart guy, I’m fairly confident you understood that my “suggestion” was not intended literally - merely as comic relief.

Matt: I think you must have misunderstood something. Apple care creates a case number for you every time you call them. I’ve had tons of “case numbers” created for me. I write them down each time in case I need to call back and discuss that same issue. If I got a new phone with every case number I’d be getting phones all the time.

Posted by urbanslaughter on January 2, 2009 at 8:26 AM (PDT)

#6: Though the crack smoking words were obviously rhetoric, the sentiment actually came across as abrasive and dismissive of iPhone 3G problems that have been reported by many people and experienced by our editors. We value our readers’ (and notably, your) contributions to the comments on the site, but need to keep the posting climate friendlier than that.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on January 2, 2009 at 9:41 AM (PDT)

I purchase the 8gb refurb from AT&T;when it dropped to $99. The box states that all refurb Iphones carry a one year warranty.

Posted by Bob Magoo on January 2, 2009 at 10:32 AM (PDT)