AT&T exec: 3G iPhone to appear in ‘months’ | iLounge News

AT&T exec: 3G iPhone to appear in ‘months’

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, April 3, 2008
News Categories: iPhone

Speaking at an AT&T event being held at CTIA, AT&T Mobility CEO Ralph de la Vega hinted that the 3G iPhone would be released in the coming months, and also made comments regarding Verizon and Sprint’s iPhone competitors. When asked about plans to sell a 3G iPhone, de la Vega said, “You’re going to see our integrated devices be 3G in the not too distant future. I mean months.” De la Vega said of iPhone rivals from Samsung and LG, “You can look like an iPhone, but you’re probably not going to be like an iPhone.” He added, “There’s a lot of catching up to do.” AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson has previously said a version of the iPhone that runs on faster 3G data networks would be released in 2008; more recently, reports indicated that Taiwan’s Hon Hai had been awarded an exclusive contract to build a “more advanced version” of the iPhone, which would likely be a 3G model.

« T-Mobile Germany offering subsidized 8GB iPhones

Apple releases iTunes 7.6.2 update »

Comments

Anyway, nice to see Apple finally catch up to Nokia, Motorola, and even Sony Ericsson in offering 3G connectivity. A Web-centric device limited to EDGE is like a Ferrari with a weed-whacker for an engine.

But will it still lacks other basics - MMS, voice dialing, stereo Bluetooth, the ability to run any carrier’s SIM card? Then, I’ll pass, no matter how much Apple sacrifices its other products’s development (the embarassment that is the iPod Classic, for example) to push this new iPhone out the door.

Posted by The Doctor on April 3, 2008 at 8:15 AM (PDT)

The surest way to guarantee an Apple product upgrade is to have me buy one. When that happens, you know that there wil be a new, hotter model within a month or two.

Posted by BTSculptor on April 3, 2008 at 9:07 AM (PDT)

“I guess Stevie needs to have a little talk with Ralphie about Apple’s keeping future products super-super-secret.’

Everyone knows that there’s going to be a 3g iPhone.  That’s no secret.  And he said it would be out in months… that could even mean 24 months!  So I don’t see why this is even news worthy.

Posted by Mike M on April 3, 2008 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

Wouldn’t a 3G iPhone have to go through FCC testing just like the original iPhone?

Would that put Apple in a position where they would have to announce something and then wait several months before it was available? I would think that would really hurt sales.

Posted by ort on April 3, 2008 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

Mike M: News of the 3G iPhone broke because AT&T, not Apple, broke it. I surely don’t have to remind you how top-secret Apple tries to keep its unreleased products… just ask the folks at ThinkSecret.com, for example.

I’d be curious to know if Apple allowed AT&T to announce this, or if AT&T’s CEO spoke out of turn.

Posted by The Doctor on April 3, 2008 at 9:18 AM (PDT)

There’s been talk for months of the 3g iPhone, just not by any insiders.  So maybe that’s why this is news worthy.

At any rate, my satisfaction level of my iPhone is 11 out of 10!  The thing blows my mind every day!  (Mine is jailbroken of course.)  The only thing I would think they could add besides faster data transfers is actual GPS capability and video conferencing.  But I have a feeling it’s just going to be a recycled 1G iPhone with added apps and 3g capabilities with a $500+ price tag. :-(

Posted by Mike M on April 3, 2008 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

My two pennies…

I wonder what will happen to the current (1st Generation) iPhone? Will Apple offer an upgrade to current 1st generation iPhone owners to purchase the new model? Or will it just run on EDGE? Perhaps offer an “unlock” option to enable use with other GSM carrier such as T-Mo…?

I’m also curious about the price for the new 2nd Generation iPhone with 3G chipset. Will it come with more features such as voice dial and video camera? A higher megapixel? More memory?  I did read that it “might” come with a second camera lens embedded in the front of the iPhone for video chatting.

I actually had to return a refurbished 8GB iPhone I purchased at the iPhone carrier a couple of days ago when I kept reading reports that the launch of the second iPhone model “might” be in May or June. If I were to guess, the release might be in June to commemorate the anniversary of the launch of the iPhone.

So many speculations.  I can’t wait.

There you go…my two pennies!

Take care everyone!

- PLPNO

Posted by PLPNO on April 3, 2008 at 1:22 PM (PDT)

You cant “upgrade” a current model iPhone to 3G.  It requires different wireless hardware.  It is not possible for a software push.

-BEn

Posted by BENVEGAS on April 5, 2008 at 4:14 AM (PDT)