AT&T files suit against Verizon over “map for that” ads | iLounge News

AT&T files suit against Verizon over “map for that” ads

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, November 3, 2009
News Categories: iPhone

AT&T has filed a lawsuit against Verizon Wireless over its recent TV advertisement campaign comparing the two leading carriers’ 3G network coverage map. As we reported early last month, the ads ape Apple’s “there’s an app for that” iPhone slogan by repeating “there’s a map for that” while showing various usage scenarios in which Verizon’s 3G coverage might better that of AT&T’s. The Wall Street Journal reports that AT&T is claiming that Verizon is misleading consumers with the ads, by using maps with large amounts of blank space which AT&T says indicate a complete lack of coverage, not just a lack of 3G. “By communicating that AT&T customers have no coverage in large parts of the country, Verizon is misleading the public about an essential component of the services AT&T offers,” the suit reads.  Verizon is claiming the lawsuit is without merit. “Our ads clearly explain that non-3G coverage is available elsewhere,” Verizon spokesman Jim Gerace told the WSJ. “I think it’s interesting that AT&T’s chose to focus on the white areas and not the blues area of their map. We think it calls into question their own fastest 3G claim as the map clearly shows where 3G doesn’t exist.”

« Apple: Over 100,000 apps now available on the App Store

App Mix: Chorus, Kodak, Highlights, WSOP »

Comments

When I saw the Verizon add I was shocked that Verizon show a poorly coverage map. I do agree that ATT have their head up their butt but this add clearly make ATT looks like having no coverage at all.

I agree with ATT. I don’t see my city on the map and my location is clearly to identify on “a map” ... but when I look at the Verizions displayed map I have no coverage at all. The truth is that I have 90% 3G coverage in my city. And I do have to repeat myself that my location, my city is very clear on the map to see!!!

Posted by dennis on November 3, 2009 at 6:23 PM (PDT)

“AT&T is claiming that Verizon is misleading consumers… by using maps with large amounts of blank space which AT&T says indicate a complete lack of coverage, not just a lack of 3G”

Sorry AT&T, but it’s not VZW’s commercial that is creating this assumption. It’s the literally hundreds of comments from dissatisfied iPhone owners that litter every Cnet, Engadget, Gizmodo and iLounge article discussing your network issues.

And worse yet, even after the top brass has admitted that there’s a problem, you still refuse to do the right thing by allowing affected iPhone owners to drop their useless data plans.

Thank God for ultrasn0w, T-Mobile and the Verizon MiFi 2200. Otherwise, my iPhone would be one expensive iPod Touch right now.

Posted by Paul on November 3, 2009 at 8:06 PM (PDT)

AT&T truth hurts, doesn’t it…

Maybe if you actually supplied us with a decent network, others
wouldn’t be mocking you.

Posted by estudioG on November 4, 2009 at 1:41 AM (PDT)

I honestly don’t see how they can claim it misleads consumers - the ad is explicitly and obviously talking about enjoying 3G coverage. AT&T is being intentionally disingenuous to suggest that in 2009 there’s anyone with enough credit to be getting a cell/data plan who would still be brain damaged enough to both not understand the plain language of the ad and believe that AT&T *only* has cell coverage in a few coastal areas. They simply don’t like someone pointing out in such an effective manner that for “having the fastest 3G network”, that’s a remarkably small “fast” network.

I expect this suit will get tossed once it goes before a judge, it’s pretty much the definition of frivolous.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on November 4, 2009 at 4:33 AM (PDT)

AT&Ts; coverage maps shows that a lot of areas are covered, but in may of those areas, especially rural areas, you can’t even get an iPhone. How can they brag about their coverage when they don’t even offer huge areas of the country service? Why can I buy an iPhone in Minneapolis and use it in North Dakota when they won’t let me buy the phone in North Dakota and use it here? Ridiculous. There is an option to get an iPhone in China but not North Dakota. AT&T needs to stop whining about Verizon and fix its coverage and its service.

Posted by Steve on November 4, 2009 at 10:03 AM (PDT)

Gosh, my reaction was that AT&T had no coverage in all of the places I’d never want to be!

Posted by TM7 on November 5, 2009 at 9:43 PM (PDT)

TM7 it may come as a shock to you but there are a lot of us who live in those places and like it.  Maybe you should visit us once before passing judgement.  Gosh, we have the internet, paved roads, and we even have indoor toilets.

Posted by AJ on November 6, 2009 at 6:08 PM (PDT)

The 3G coverage maps in the Verizon ad are clearly captioned as such. The ad is hardly misleading. In fact, I’m hard pressed to identify additional/better strategies Verizon might have employed to make the point that its ad was addressing 3G data coverage, and not basic phone service. The fact that AT&T would seek an injunction on a patently laughable claim rings of desperation.

I live in Chicago, where editors of iLounge have marveled aloud at AT&T unreliable and sluggish 3G service in this area. Prior to purchasing an iPhone, I used a different make of AT&T 3G-enabled smartphone which also defauled to EDGE more than 50% of the time. I’m no fan of Verizon, either. Who would have guessed that customers desiring an optimal cellular experience must consider living abroad!

Posted by ML on November 19, 2009 at 1:50 PM (PDT)

Ok agreed, but as a septic of any king of advertising so I take a look for my self.  I can see ATT’s 3g map on their site but I cant see Verizon’s all I get is http error 404 page can’t be found. So personally i default to the site that isn’t attacking and does show their own 3g map.

Posted by David on November 20, 2009 at 3:25 PM (PDT)