AT&T iPad sign up errors leading to double billing? | iLounge News

AT&T iPad sign up errors leading to double billing?

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, May 3, 2010
News Categories: iPad

image

If you received an error message during the sign-up process for AT&T service on your iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G, you might want to check your credit card bill. At least one iLounge editor has seen his card double-billed for one month of unlimited service after the initial sign-up process hit a snag. It is unclear how many iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G users may have experienced a similar situation; if you’ve had trouble with your AT&T iPad billing, please share your stories in the comments below.

« Apple to face antitrust probe over app restrictions?

iPad 3G teardown reveals new chips, antennas, more »

Comments

I live in Nome, Alaska, and I got my iPad on Saturday (despite Apple’s Guarantee of putting it into my hands by Friday at 5pm).

When I tried to sign up for the 3G service with ATT, the first problem is that ATT requires a street address as your billing address for your credit card. Huh? Why can’t I use my PO box, which is my billing address?

The other problem is that ATT requires that you have a VALID street address. What is a valid street address for ATT? It’s one that appears in the US Post Office’s (and remember, we can’t use US PO boxes) database. Nome, and most of rural Alaska, does not have rural delivery from the post office. Everyone in town is given a PO box. So, there are NO valid addresses in Nome because the Post Office does not keep a database of Nome addresses since they do not do home delivery here.

Talk about a Catch-22, and an absurd policy from ATT. So, wherever you live, if you have a PO Box as your billing address for your credit card, you will need to change it to a street address. Make that, you will need to change it to an ATT Valid Street Address (obtained from the USPO).

Posted by JoeM on May 3, 2010 at 9:46 AM (PDT)

@JoeM That’s odd.  My Mom lives in rural Minnesota where there is also not home delivery.  They have a P.O. Box, but also have a street address for UPS and the like.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on May 3, 2010 at 2:47 PM (PDT)

I have a PO box and have the sme issue..one added item, I also don’t have AT&T service here. Not until Sept.. I was told just to use a friends address. Dont’t really want to do that

Posted by Anthony on May 3, 2010 at 3:02 PM (PDT)

@Galley Yeah, UPS and FedEx deliver to my home, but the PO doesn’t. And ATT uses the Post Office database for valid street addresses. If they used UPS’s or FedEx’s, my address might be valid.

Posted by JoeM on May 3, 2010 at 6:06 PM (PDT)

My first attempt at activation failed and it appears that AT&T posted two transactions to my Debit card.

The two charges were both listed as ‘pending’ and the first one eventually dropped of the account.

Posted by Marc on May 5, 2010 at 10:13 AM (PDT)

I also was double billed for data plans. I originally signed up for unlimited and switched to 250mb. I changed my plan 1 day before the plan was to expire but was still billed for both plans. The AT&T rep told me that she could not credit me for the unlimited plan because it was pre paid. It specifically says that they will credit you back if you get charged but cancel/change plans before the renewal date. I have written to the CEO of AT&T so we will see what he can do.

Posted by Mary on July 18, 2010 at 7:35 PM (PDT)