AT&T iPhone 3G plans: $70-$130 single, $130-$360 family | iLounge News

AT&T iPhone 3G plans: $70-$130 single, $130-$360 family

AT&T has announced its AT&T Nation and AT&T FamilyTalk plans for iPhone 3G. Its AT&T Nation plans, meant for individual users, range in price from $69.99 to $129.99 a month, and include unlimited data, Visual Voicemail, and unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling. The $69.99 a month plan includes 450 anytime minutes, 5000 night & weekend minutes, and any overages will cost $0.45 per minute. With the $89.99 a month plan, users receive 900 anytime minutes, unlimited nights & weekends, and an overage rate of $0.40 per minute, while the $109.99 a month plan provides 1350 anytime minutes, unlimited nights & weekends, and an additional minute charge of $0.35 per minute. Finally, AT&T is offering an Unlimited individual iPhone 3G plan for $129.99 a month, which provides unlimited minutes in addition to the unlimited data and Visual Voicemail mentioned above.

AT&T’s FamilyTalk iPhone plans cover two lines and include unlimited data, Visual Voicemail, unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling, and unlimited nights & weekends. The $129.99 a month plan provides 700 shared anytime minutes and additional minutes for $0.45, the $149.99 plan offers 1400 shared anytime minutes and additional minutes for $0.40, while the $169.99 plan offers 2100 shared anytime minutes and an addition minutes rate of $0.35. Plans are also available at $209.99, $259.99, and $359.99 points, and include 3000, 4000, and 6000 shared anytime minutes, respectively. Each additional line added to any of the above FamilyTalk plans runs an additional $39.99 per month. An Unlimited FamilyTalk plan will be available for $259.99 a month for two lines, with each additional line costing $129.99 a month.

In a notable change from AT&T’s prior plans, SMS Text messaging is now always sold at an additional charge, and will cost individuals $5 per month for 200 messages, $15 per month for 1500 messages, or $20 per month for Unlimited. For FamilyTalk plans, SMS can be added for $30 per month for unlimited texts, or for $0.20 per message.

« Mophie Juice Pack Giveaway - Winners Announced

iPhone 3G See What’s New video, summarized in one page »

Comments

I plan to purchase the 3G iPhone (HOPEFULLY!!!!) on the day it hits the stores.  I am currently a Verizon customer and want to keep my same phone number.  If I am required to activate the phone when I purchase it, does that mean that I have to cancel my Verizon account before my purchase?  What happens if I cancel my plan but then I am unable to get the iPhone for weeks?  HELP!!!  I just need some guidance.

Thank you…and I LOVE YOUR WEBSITE!!!  I visit it several times a week!!!

Posted by Shannon on July 1, 2008 at 12:40 PM (CDT)

Charging additional fees for SMS is completely unreasonable. If my wife and I do the FamilyTalk 1400 plan, paying $1800 per year for voice and data services, that’s at least tolerable, but paying another $360 per year for unlimited texting is at the other extreme.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on July 1, 2008 at 12:55 PM (CDT)

The act of porting out your number when you activate your iPhone essentially cancels your account. You will be liable for any ETF, etc.

You may want to tell verizon you will be doing this, but don’t cancel ahead of time. This releases your number into the wild!

@Flippy. I’m on the fence with the SMS thing. I know a lot of people use it these days, but for me I’d be glad it wasn’t tied into the price because I would likely never use it, but this is a personal thing. SMS is scam in my opinion anyway. It’s basically “data”. Too bad they don’t have a deal on SMS for families like some of the new sprint lines offer. $20 for unlimited SMS on all lines on a family plan.

Posted by studogvetmed in Loveland, CO on July 1, 2008 at 1:10 PM (CDT)

I’m with Flippy, the additional cost for SMS is just a egregious and greedy. I cannot fathom why they would push the goodwill of so many loyal customers.

I suppose with the price of oil I’m not too surprised. I mean, the message gnomes have to drive those tiny pieces of data all over the country in little tiny gas powered gnome-mobiles. Although. I fully expect the cost to drop when Tesla finally introduces an electric powered message delivery gnome-mobile.

Does anyone know if these (overpriced) plans will be eligible for the “premier” discounts?

Posted by Brickwindow on July 1, 2008 at 1:12 PM (CDT)

I had planned to upgrade both my wife and my iPhones to the new one, but with this insane change in pricing, we will stay where we are at with the current pricing we have until our contract expires.  By then, AT&T may see the “error in their ways” and may have injected common sense into the situation.  I think they’re going to be disappointed when they see the impact their pricing has in relation to the number of iPhone 3G buyers that do not stay with them.

Posted by Rob on July 1, 2008 at 1:22 PM (CDT)

I’m wondering about the SMS/MMS debate as well. Correct me if I’m wrong:

Could you just send an email to the person’s phone number? If I recall, most mobile providers accept emails as text messages, so if were to send a short email to a phone/email like .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) (or something like that), it would appear as a text message on the person’s phone.

It’s not exactly convenient, but seems workable if you program an extra “email” address for your contacts that is actually their phone number. If it works, you essentially have unlimited messaging as part of your data plan.

Posted by Monskter on July 1, 2008 at 1:25 PM (CDT)

@ Monskter

Yes, you are able to send emails to phones in text format if you have the correct provider email addresses, however, unless the person you’re messaging has unlimited data on their plan they will be charged for sending emails back to you.

Posted by beiler on July 1, 2008 at 1:59 PM (CDT)

Wow.

I hope I’m wrong but if you currently have the Family Plan with 3 lines (1 iPhone, 2 other phones), I’ll have to pay $130 + 40 for the additional line?

$170+tax AND $130+tax is quite a jump from $99+tax (3 lines, 1 iPhone 2.5G)

Posted by Pete on July 1, 2008 at 2:00 PM (CDT)

T-Mobile today announced that the iPhone 3G will be available in The Netherlands starting at just 1 euro for the 8 GB version with a subscription plan. Dutch T-Mobile customers can choose between three price plans starting at €29,95 a month and up to €64,95. Also included is unlimited data at a speed of 2048 kbps download and 384 kbps, free Visual Voicemail and unlimited use of T-Mobile Hotspots in The Netherlands (currently around 1,400 hotspots).

At launch T-Mobile customers will be able to buy a 3G iPhone starting at €1 for the 8 GB iPhone 3G and €19,95 for the 16 GB version. They have to sign a two year contract. The iPhone 3G will be available in The Netherlands on July 11, 2008.

Posted by moi on July 1, 2008 at 2:02 PM (CDT)

I was ready to jump on the iPhone 3G for $199, but since it will cost me an additional $15 per month for the same service I am getting with my original iPhone, I will pass.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on July 1, 2008 at 2:11 PM (CDT)

I am a little frustrated.  Just yesterday I priced the switch for both my husband and myself to AT&T and the new iPhone.  We don’t use that many minutes per month, and most of the calls are to each other.  With the old pricing, of $59.99 for 450 minutes, plus $30, plus $30 the total would have been $119.99 per month.  $10 cheaper than the newest lowest plan. sigh.  We are so behind the times with our phones, I don’t even have a clue about text messaging.  Not going to be adding that on now.

Also, we were thinking about getting one iPhone and bringing in an older regular At&T phone for my husband, and the rep. said we could do the 2nd line with no contract, so if he wanted an iPhone down the line he could still get it for the $199 price.  That would have been a Family plan for $59.99 for 450 minutes plus $30 data for the iPhone for a total of $89.99.  Doesn’t look that will be an option now.  ;(

Posted by Kari on July 1, 2008 at 2:15 PM (CDT)

I’m right there with you all on the SMS thing. $30 per month for families to text—basically each other? WAY too expensive. I was very excited for the advent of the 3G iPhone—and had planned to move from Verizon to ATT. However, with the price increase, coupled with the additional charges for SMS, I will be exploring other options. Too bad. They lowered the price of phones to make it “affordable for the masses,” and then counter with a plan that the masses can no longer afford. It’s also too bad that Sprint has such a terrible reputation because their “simply everything” pricing is something I personally find to be very attractive—1500 shared minutes, with data, texting and everything else included for a more reasonable $129.99 per month. Twice the minutes, too…

Posted by Tammy on July 1, 2008 at 2:42 PM (CDT)

Does anyone know if the individual text message plans are available for members on a Family Talk plan?  Say my wife and I wanted 200 texts each, could we add two of the $5 text packages?  $30 is a little high, we don’t need unlimited messages.

Posted by Jason on July 1, 2008 at 2:44 PM (CDT)

AT&T lost the plot on this one.  I was stoked about the new iPhone until today.  Everyone understands that the new speeds will result in a massive increase in data transfers, but still, this is just greedy/obnoxious/offensive.

I will definitely not be getting one now, which officially just pisses me off.

Posted by David on July 1, 2008 at 3:03 PM (CDT)

I made the major mistake of signing on with AT&T thinking I would be better off in transition to a new iPhone. Boy, did I blow it. Now I would have to pay $200 more per phone because I’m not up for upgrade until next year. This really has me down as I’m locked in a contract that will cost $175 per line to get out of…. No iPhone for me :(  I don’t understand their thinking. I would be more than willing to add the $30 data and any basic transfer fees. I’m not willing to pay $200 per phone plus the added fees. I’m very disappointed with AT&T over this decision. When my contract is up I will be moving on…

Posted by Jon on July 1, 2008 at 4:11 PM (CDT)

There is a great article today on TechCrunch about the actual cost of moving data via a text message, and it will disgust you. Basically, this is the new racket for the cellular providers—not just AT&T, to be fair—and they are making money hand over fist from people moving mere handfuls of bytes over the network. This was to be expected in our increasingly text-happy society, but the extent to which the providers are profiting from this practice is alarming.

I paid $10 extra for the 1500-text “addendum” to my original iPhone plan, and I practically felt dirty doing that. But I also got fleeced on a phone bill months before getting the iPhone, thanks to texting over and above the monthly limit. So I wasn’t about to fall victim to that shell game again.

The bottom line is that, sans SMS, these “value” packages for iPhone 3G subscribers aren’t very enticing.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on July 1, 2008 at 4:14 PM (CDT)

I hoped to get a iphone 3G too but ATT really botched this.
It is way too expensive to own a 3G iphone now.

Posted by amrav on July 1, 2008 at 4:29 PM (CDT)

I don’t want to defend AT&T but lets compare apples to apples:

2G 8GB iPhone with 450min, unlimited data, 200 texts = $59.99 x 24 months = $1440 + $399 = $1839 for phone and basic service
3G 8GB iPhone with 450min, unlimited data, 200 texts = $74.99 x 24 months = $1800 + $199 = $1999 for phone and basic service

That’s a $360 difference just for the plans but only $160 over the 2 year contract with the phone price added

Now the only decision is if $160 is worth it for you to get 3G speed, included GPS, and the newest device.

For me, I’m happy with my current 2G iPhone, but really it is not that ridiculous.  Granted I agree the fact they are advertising the 3G iPhone as “half the price, twice the speed” is a bit disingenuous and misleading.

I don’t know if the prices just went up also but when you tinker around the AT&T website the PDA Personal and Blackberry Personal Data plans are also $30 per month for unlimited data and no text messages.  Also I have no idea how these rates compare to other carriers, but we can’t really bring that into the equation since we are stuck with AT&T if you want an iPhone (at least not jailbroken).

So again this just shows the original 2G iPhone might have been a bit slower on EDGE, but it was a relatively good deal overall.

Posted by TosaDeac on July 1, 2008 at 5:12 PM (CDT)

I sold my 1st gen iphone for $400 cash. I hate the pricing plans also. It will definitely feel as if I am getting reamed every month I pay the bill. WIth the old plan my monthly average was 75 bucks (including the glorious taxes). Now I can easily expect to pay 90 bucks.

My other option now would be to buy a used iphone and install my sim to continue on the same old pricing plan.

Posted by J fish on July 1, 2008 at 5:21 PM (CDT)

Can anyone confirm there is a current customer Data upgrade add-on plan like they had before?  ie, i don’t have to sign up to an entirely new plan, just pay the additional amount for the iPhone data plan (and subsequently text plan, in the 3G iPhone case).

Posted by jnaks on July 1, 2008 at 6:09 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >