AT&T iPhone 3G plans: $70-$130 single, $130-$360 family | iLounge News

AT&T iPhone 3G plans: $70-$130 single, $130-$360 family

AT&T has announced its AT&T Nation and AT&T FamilyTalk plans for iPhone 3G. Its AT&T Nation plans, meant for individual users, range in price from $69.99 to $129.99 a month, and include unlimited data, Visual Voicemail, and unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling. The $69.99 a month plan includes 450 anytime minutes, 5000 night & weekend minutes, and any overages will cost $0.45 per minute. With the $89.99 a month plan, users receive 900 anytime minutes, unlimited nights & weekends, and an overage rate of $0.40 per minute, while the $109.99 a month plan provides 1350 anytime minutes, unlimited nights & weekends, and an additional minute charge of $0.35 per minute. Finally, AT&T is offering an Unlimited individual iPhone 3G plan for $129.99 a month, which provides unlimited minutes in addition to the unlimited data and Visual Voicemail mentioned above.

AT&T’s FamilyTalk iPhone plans cover two lines and include unlimited data, Visual Voicemail, unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling, and unlimited nights & weekends. The $129.99 a month plan provides 700 shared anytime minutes and additional minutes for $0.45, the $149.99 plan offers 1400 shared anytime minutes and additional minutes for $0.40, while the $169.99 plan offers 2100 shared anytime minutes and an addition minutes rate of $0.35. Plans are also available at $209.99, $259.99, and $359.99 points, and include 3000, 4000, and 6000 shared anytime minutes, respectively. Each additional line added to any of the above FamilyTalk plans runs an additional $39.99 per month. An Unlimited FamilyTalk plan will be available for $259.99 a month for two lines, with each additional line costing $129.99 a month.

In a notable change from AT&T’s prior plans, SMS Text messaging is now always sold at an additional charge, and will cost individuals $5 per month for 200 messages, $15 per month for 1500 messages, or $20 per month for Unlimited. For FamilyTalk plans, SMS can be added for $30 per month for unlimited texts, or for $0.20 per message.

« Mophie Juice Pack Giveaway - Winners Announced

iPhone 3G See What’s New video, summarized in one page »

Comments

Someone please tell me exisisting customers don’t have to change any thing but the price of the data plan.  We have a family plan, that has my wife and I, and we also carry my inlaws.  We pay $100 a month puls $10 for each line (so $140) + $20 for my data plan and + $20 for my father in laws data plan so $180 total. I was going to pass my gen 1 down to my wife so we were looking at keeping $20 for her data then $35 for may data and text moving us to $215/m. Which I was ok with (My wife, not so much LOL)

But now if I read this correctly I we have to change our family plan from $99.99 to $130 (which would cover myself and my father in law, even though he is sticking with is gen 1,, then add $35 for two more lines giving us a total of $200 then add in text for another $5 X2 and we are at a total of $210/m.  Then we add my wife in for data at another $20 (assuming they let you do that with a gen 1) and that puts us at $230/m!

Some one please come to my rescue say that is only the rates for new customers! Other wise it may be no iPhone 3G for me.

Posted by Brandon on July 1, 2008 at 3:10 PM (PDT)

Okay, just got off the phone with AT&T and was told that basically these plans are for NEW customers.  I was told I could buy the new iPhone 3g with no changes in my family rate plans other than adding on the $30 (verses the original $20) data plan and then $5 for text.

Posted by brandon on July 1, 2008 at 3:30 PM (PDT)

Quoted from TosaDeac:  “I don’t want to defend AT&T but lets compare apples to apples:

2G 8GB iPhone with 450min, unlimited data, 200 texts = $59.99 x 24 months = $1440 + $399 = $1839 for phone and basic service
3G 8GB iPhone with 450min, unlimited data, 200 texts = $74.99 x 24 months = $1800 + $199 = $1999 for phone and basic service

That’s a $360 difference just for the plans but only $160 over the 2 year contract with the phone price added

Now the only decision is if $160 is worth it for you to get 3G speed, included GPS, and the newest device.”

I absolutely agree, but this is if you have the lowest price plan, which I do.  For me, that is a minor added amount per year and completely doable.  If I had a more expensive plan, perhaps I would be more upset, but I don’t so I’m not.

I don’t know if anyone else read the newer information, but those are plans ONLY for new customers.  The only change otherwise for existing iPhone customers would be an extra $10 for the data plan and $5 extra if you want the 200 text messages per month back.  Sure, that’s more, but for 3G speeds wherever you are???  That’s a great deal!  Consider how much faster wi-fi is than dealing with the slow and horrible Edge service!

Posted by skadiwolf on July 1, 2008 at 3:54 PM (PDT)

Jason,

Regarding the SMS with Family Plan, I spoke with an AT&T CSR this afternoon and was told that the individual line SMS plans ($5 for 200, etc.) could be added individually to each line of the Family Plan.  I’m hoping that the CSR knew what they were talking about with this response, but I guess we will find out for sure on July 11th.  It definitely makes sense if you think about 200, 1500, or unlimited in that context, but here’s hoping…

Posted by Shawn on July 1, 2008 at 7:08 PM (PDT)

Shannon:

Do not cancel your Verizon plan. If you do, then you’ll lose the number for good. When you go to activate the iPhone, AT&T (or I guess Apple, if you buy it there) will cancel your Verizon account FOR you when they transfer your number.

Posted by Jance on July 2, 2008 at 11:43 AM (PDT)

just about when i thought of getting an iphone since as a government employee we get a 15% discount on at&t plans, i changed my mind. I called at&t and asked them about the discount and said that i can get pretty much any plan that i want for 15% discount/month BUT the iphone plan. For me, that’s just plain stupid. And with extra cash for unlimited text messaging since i wanted to get a family plan, no thanks at&t (for 2 years!). it’s totally messed up..

but yeah people, no discount on the iphone plan if your company usually gets a discounted rate on rate plans. thought id share this…

Posted by koa1aboi on July 2, 2008 at 7:25 PM (PDT)

koa1aboi,

You can get your discount on the calling plan, but not on the data plan.  In other words, the $30 per iPhone line for data is non-negotiable.  I’d also guess you could get the 15% off the SMS package as well…but don’t quote me on that!

Posted by Doctor on July 2, 2008 at 10:12 PM (PDT)

Instinct from Sprint is far better if you are not fuzzy about the looks!
The Instinct needs some tweaking on the browser and it will be a far better phone(Its already cheaper than iPhone 2G or 3G)

Posted by UseYourInstinct! on July 6, 2008 at 11:50 AM (PDT)

Offering iPhone-specific plans that include voice & data is great. For Family Talk, this alone *seems* like a deal: the cheapest iPhone plan offers more minutes than their cheapest non-iPhone plan and includes unlimited data, for less.

HOWEVER: the only SMS option for families is $30/month for unlimited text. They eliminated the $5/month/phone for 200 SMS option that individuals and non-iPhone users enjoy.

Making this overall more expensive.

Greedy jerks. We were on the verge of forgoing the iPhone’s shortcomings and buying 2 of the 3G models, until AT&T pulled this out of their backsides. Now I’m not so sure.

Posted by Herr Doktor on July 7, 2008 at 11:32 AM (PDT)

can i activate an iphone 3g with just the texting plan.

Posted by quincy on July 10, 2008 at 4:57 PM (PDT)

I want to cancel my at&t 2 year family plan contracts, which i have been using for more than 2 months, how much do i get charged for the early termination fee? i got 2 iphones when i signed up the contracts. does the $170 ETF apply to just each phone or for both?

Posted by dinh on June 18, 2009 at 10:07 PM (PDT)

As much as I am impressed with the new Iphone, and wanted to buy.  I find extremely difficult to deal with AT&T, they’re a monopoly and they suck.  I believe that they used to own it before Cingular and their customer service was terrible, over priced and were looking for away to screw anyone they can and I am not shocked that they are doing the same thing and monopolizing with the Iphone to use it as a tool to take advantage of hard working people.  I know that someone talked about Tmobile introducing the Iphones in the Netherlands, I am wondering it they will do it here or if At&T will try to monopolize this.

Posted by Dante on July 29, 2009 at 1:03 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2