AT&T: iPhone 3GS Plan: $30/month, tethering + MMS absent | iLounge News

AT&T: iPhone 3GS Plan: $30/month, tethering + MMS absent

In conjunction with Apple, AT&T today announced details of its rate plans for the iPhone 3GS, which will continue to offer “unlimited data” access but without any promises of support for tethering or multi-media messaging (MMS). The iPhone 3GS rate plan will cost $30 per month, with speed performance varying by area—an Apple press release notes that higher-speed 7.2Mb/s HSDPA will be offered “where available” without adding additional information. Tethering, a feature that enables the iPhone 3GS to work as a modem for a Mac or PC, is supported by the iPhone OS 3.0 but has been given no date of availability by AT&T, while MMS support will be coming in “late Summer,” with no clear details on pricing. AT&T is the exclusive carrier of the iPhone 3GS in the United States, as it has been for the original iPhone and iPhone 3G; users have complained about slow data speeds, dropped calls, activation computer issues, and other aspects of the AT&T experience during and after both prior launches.

« WWDC Keynote heightens iPhone 3.0 accessory concerns

AT&T: 3G Upgraders pay $200 more for iPhone 3GS »

Comments

No tethering?  No MMS?  I’m sick to f&cking;death of AT&T;.  Bad service.  Poor features.  They think they can dictate what the users can and can’t do?  Apple is willing to make hardware that will support all of this, and AT&T;is scared.  They want to control the users.  This is what Verizon did when they refused the iPhone.  They were scared.  They want to control the “user experience” so they can maximize profit while minimizing freedom.  I’m sick of it.  If AT&T;doesn’t lose the attitude, at the end of the contract, I’m outta here.

Posted by Fred on June 8, 2009 at 1:34 PM (PDT)

I cannot say that I will be leaving AT&T;, but I can certainly say that I have no reason to upgrade to the new iPhone with terms like these. I have an original iPhone and still I see very little value in an upgrade. I will wait for something more interesting before I give up my aluminum one.

Posted by jiji on June 8, 2009 at 1:52 PM (PDT)

me too, the video thing is not a great feature, I was expecting more… I dont think its worth the upgrade

Posted by hansel Jr on June 8, 2009 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

Truly - what’s the point of paying MORE than a new user to upgrade to a new handset with that few new features? I’m actually glad that I won’t be pressured to buy a new one, but disappointed that the features they’ve been promising have been delayed once again.

Posted by bt on June 8, 2009 at 3:09 PM (PDT)

My contract is gonna run out in the next few months.  I can’t believe that they made tethering and mms available to AT&T;, and they’re not passing that on to the customers.  I’m going to upgrade simply because once you go iphone you don’t go back but whats the deal AT&T;!?

Posted by roger on June 8, 2009 at 3:44 PM (PDT)

I’ll end up paying $15 more per month, but I’m eligible for the upgrade price, and EDGE just doesn’t cut it anymore.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on June 8, 2009 at 6:54 PM (PDT)

So let me get this straight, AT&T;is the ONLY wireless company that is still offering the iPhone, yet they will not be supporting MMS? How is this even possible? Apple has made and announced a feature that iPhone owners have been demanding since its inception, and their 1 and only partner is refusing to support it?? Well WTF? Apple knowing this, why even announce it??? This doesn’t make sense. Either way, I’ve already pre-ordered the new 3GS because MMS is not important to me.

Posted by Luis on June 8, 2009 at 9:18 PM (PDT)

Reply to: Luis

29 partners in other countries are offering MMS right away and 22 partners are allowing tethering at launch.  That’s why it was announced; AT&T;is hardly their one and only partner, it’s just that they’re the only one here in the USA.

Posted by Beth on June 9, 2009 at 6:11 AM (PDT)

O2 in UK is pricing the tethering ‘bolt-on’ for pay monthly customers at either £14.68 a month (~$23.69) for 3GB or £29.36 (~$47.38) for 10GB.

I guess I’ll just stick with my PAYG T-Mobile USB 3G modem….

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on June 9, 2009 at 6:23 AM (PDT)

Hey guys yes I know AT&T;aren’t supporting features but when you look @ the company that has the iPhone in othe countries its GSM network T-Mobile. They are big on satisfying customers and they already support Tethering and MMS on other phones so they really didn’t have to make an ajustment to anything. Also if T-Mobile in America had the iPhone Tethering and MMS would be released the day you got your iPhone the only reason Apples didn’t choose T-Mobile is cuz they had no 3G til the end of last year. T-Mobile is my carrier now and the ONLY reason I am switching is cuz I need an iPhone to start mobile development on it.

Posted by Chris Jones on June 9, 2009 at 6:54 AM (PDT)

The minute the iphone is on other networks, AT&Ts;customer base is going to plummet…

Posted by John Mc on June 9, 2009 at 7:27 AM (PDT)

@Fred: agree with you on AT&T;, but I’m on VZW and they’re even worse.  My Q9c is so handicapped to prevent me from stepping outside VZW’s network or get their pay features for free it’s ridiculous.  No Google Maps location support, no Wi-Fi, crap bluetooth, the list goes on.  VZW’s only redeeming quality is their network coverage versus AT&T;.  So there’s no point in switching to another carrier; you might get a more open experience, but crappier network coverage, or you get the same crappy restrictions on a better network.  It’s a no-win for US consumers :(

Posted by Chris on June 9, 2009 at 8:45 AM (PDT)

Apple needs to buy AT&T;or another carrier.  So they can install the wireless technology they want, without having to wait for AT&T;to play catch up.

Posted by Mike G on June 9, 2009 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

Chris I disagree with you on the no-win situation in the US. Sprint has some very good plans with unlimited data and text messaging including even a navigation program and service in the price. I’ve never had a problem with call quality or coverage either.

The only bad thing about Sprint, is that it is a CDMA carrier so no taking your phone overseas and expecting it to work. But Verizon has that additional issue too. If not for that problem Sprint and iPhones would do well together.

Posted by Greg on June 9, 2009 at 11:38 AM (PDT)

I had Verizon before and now I’m on AT&T;in the Wash. DC area. As Chris says, Verizon locks down their phones terribly (though XDA Developers helped a lot there!) but their phones were always so last year. AT&T;service in my experience has been fine (equal with Verizon) but they have more current phones in general. I have some friends that were on Sprint, and they moved to AT&T;(not sure why, though). I’m not sure that switching between carriers as Fred wants to do gets anything better—it seems to me it’s merely a tradeoff of features/functionality and depends on what you want in your cell experience…..

Posted by Floyd on June 9, 2009 at 12:57 PM (PDT)

What I don’t understand is AT&T;, knowing Apple is installing tethering and MMS, is dragging its feet in making the features available @ launch.

Posted by Brian on June 9, 2009 at 3:59 PM (PDT)

You want to get the features released?  Do not run out and get the new Iphone yet. Let them choke on it for a while and then they will come around and drop the prices.  Sound familiar? After the 3G was released ATT dropped their prices after 60 days. Come on sheeple fight back and resist the dark side for a while!!! You can do it.  I am.

Posted by Mark on June 9, 2009 at 4:13 PM (PDT)

T-Mobile in the Netherlands is holding back on the tethering. Although the T-Mobile logo was on the slide of supporting providers, the Dutch branch announced they don’t have a plan - yet…

Posted by Peter Villevoye on June 11, 2009 at 4:40 PM (PDT)

how sad, ive have my iphone 3g for a couple months, i love it, except for no mms.  i mean, i had a cheap samsung phone with a vga cam, and it took pics and i could SEND them, and RECIEVE pics, is that too much to ask for from an amazing phone such as the iphone that can pretty much do everything??? i think not, i see the heads of thousands nodding in agreement..

Posted by jeromejuice on June 12, 2009 at 4:55 AM (PDT)

I have been waiting for mms and tethering, and if there not there, I as well will not be upgrading to the 3G S.  As far a charging for mms, that will be the day, since my wifes phone can do it for $35 pre month, I would think I should be able since I pay $150 per month.

Posted by Clarence on June 12, 2009 at 11:37 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >