AT&T: iPhone restock fee, SIM, no insurance details | iLounge News

AT&T: iPhone restock fee, SIM, no insurance details

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, June 27, 2007
News Categories: iPhone

In a newly added iPhone frequently asked questions (FAQ) page of its site, AT&T today published a number of contract terms important to prospective iPhone buyers. Notably, the FAQ discloses both a 10% open box restock fee for returned iPhones and a limited 14-day return policy, shorter than the 30-day return policies often offered for mobile phones. There is no restocking fee for unopened iPhones. AT&T also notes that iPhone ships with a SIM card pre-installed in its removable tray, and that the phone “must be activated before it can be used” regardless of whether you already have an AT&T SIM card.

Most interesting is the fact that iPhone is not covered by AT&T’s optional wireless phone insurance program, which offers replacements for damaged or defective AT&T phones during the life of your service agreement. “iPhone is ineligible for the Wireless Phone Insurance program offered to AT&T customers,” says the FAQ. “iPhone is covered by the Apple Warranty. If you have Wireless Phone Insurance from AT&T, it will be removed from your line of service.” Additional questions for current AT&T customers are also answered in the FAQ.

« iPhone box contents, iTunes 7.3 confirmed

Vodafone likely European iPhone carrier? »

Comments

Seems unfair to charge a re-stocking fee if you bring it home and don’t get good reception?

Posted by Rob John on June 27, 2007 at 10:08 AM (PDT)

What about California Law - I thought that we were guaranteed a 30 day return regardless of carrier policy.

Any ideas?

Posted by Andy on June 27, 2007 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

I think California law would trump policies of a company. The company operates under the laws of the respective jurisdictions.

Posted by Zar on June 27, 2007 at 1:53 PM (PDT)

Yes, California law requires a 30-day return period, and I believe might even prohibit the restocking fee…We’ll see.

Posted by AJ on June 27, 2007 at 7:55 PM (PDT)

The IPhone is a great device with the exception of its functionality as a Phone, which is my primary use. Throughout the past week the phone has failed to deliver acceptable service. Examples are having 5 bars, never moving, placing a call and having the call fail and the phone then displaying “No Service.” I found this experience throughout a three city area. I even had this experience while sitting with two other friends who have AT&T service but different phones. When my phone dropped out and said “No Service,” they both still had 5 bars and a functioning phone. The phone siimply did not perform in a manner that is consistent with the implied Warranty of a phone using your the AT&T service and I the conflicts in warranty are bound to cause problems.

Posted by George on July 15, 2007 at 11:11 AM (PDT)

I bought the IPHONE about 10 days ago. I work as a Flight Attendant and enjoyed not having to carry 2 devices around.
But, the IPHONE’s reception has been nothing but lacking and
not living to ATT’s 5 bar service everywhere promised.
I am returning the Iphone after 10 days and expect to be charge the 10% re-stocking fee.  Another very important reason why I am returning the Iphone has been the lack of insurance protection.
I hope that ATT and APPLE re-think the lack of insurance protection issue.  For the road warrior, insurance coverage is essential.

Posted by JO on August 20, 2008 at 4:28 PM (PDT)