AT&T launches MMS for iPhone 3G, 3GS | iLounge News

AT&T launches MMS for iPhone 3G, 3GS

image

AT&T and Apple have begun to roll out MMS service to U.S. iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS users. The service requires a carrier settings update—listed in the Settings application as AT&T 5.5—which is available through the Update feature in iTunes. AT&T originally promised to have the service available by late summer, but later changed that date to today; it rolled out the feature to a small test group early last week, and is reportedly nervous about today’s launch based on the traffic demands seen from the test users. For more information, see our Sixteen things you should know about iPhone MMS & Tethering article; Apple’s instructions for setting up MMS can be found here.

« Latest edition of iPodweek coming later today

App Mix: Skee-Ball, FoodScanner, Juiced, FIFA 10 »

Comments

I got the carrier update, but no MMS to be found on my 3GS. And yes, I checked the settings. There’s no MMS option there.

Posted by David on September 25, 2009 at 11:29 AM (PDT)

It’s up and working in Denver, Colorado. REALLY compresses movies though. Pics look good.

Posted by JR on September 25, 2009 at 11:33 AM (PDT)

I’m running 3.0 and still haven’t seen the update carrier settings update in itunes. From what I read 3.0 should still be able to do MMS. In Philly PA. Anyone else running 3.0 still not getting the update ?

Posted by Wil To on September 25, 2009 at 11:33 AM (PDT)

Just connect the phone and open iTunes. Check for updates. Installs in a few seconds. REBOOT the phone, then all should work ok. May be later for the East coast.

Posted by JR on September 25, 2009 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

If I click check for updates it starts downloading the software version 3.1 and I don’t want to do that. Is there any way to get this update without having to download the latest software? I am running 3.0 on my phone right now and I want to keep it that way.

Posted by Jonathan on September 25, 2009 at 11:46 AM (PDT)

Looks like 3.1 is what makes it work. iTunes wants you to do 3.1, then the carrier update. Move to 3.1! It will kill the tethering hack though.

Posted by JR on September 25, 2009 at 12:12 PM (PDT)

Actually, it is theoretically possible to get MMS going on 3.0, since it’s really just the carrier settings update that you need.  The issue is not anything 3.1-specific, but rather the fact that iTunes uses the same mechanism for carrier setting updates as they do for firmware updates, and they deliver them in order.

You can install the carrier update manually if you have the file already simply by holding down the OPT key (Mac) or SHIFT key (WIndows) while clicking the “Check for Updates” button in iTunes. This will prompt you to pick a file to update instead of automatically grabbing whatever iTunes wants to feed you.  Simply select the carrier update bundle that you obtained elsewhere and it should apply it to the iPhone 3.0 device.

Bear in mind, however, that there are no guarantees on this one. There’s no reason that MMS shouldn’t work on 3.0 (it did for just about every other carrier on the planet), but there’s always the slight possibility that something the AT&T update requires 3.1.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on September 25, 2009 at 12:44 PM (PDT)

Finally my iPhone gets what other phones have had smile

Posted by Xing on September 25, 2009 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

i have the iphone 3g running on 3.0 software but when i plug my phone in itunes i dont see the update carrier settings.

Posted by google guy on September 25, 2009 at 1:31 PM (PDT)

REBOOT FOR IT TO WORK ONCE YOU UPDATE!

Posted by taylor on September 25, 2009 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

It seems like the feature is there, but the network will not allow (yet) you to push the text message and/or picture through.

Posted by John on September 25, 2009 at 1:45 PM (PDT)

I’m running 3.0 and still haven’t seen the update carrier settings update in itunes. From what I read 3.0 should still be able to do MMs. does anybody have a way for me to fix this i would greatly appreciate it

Posted by new dude on September 25, 2009 at 2:09 PM (PDT)

I still have the tethering hack (I’d like to get rid of it, actually, but can’t!)

Posted by Tellett on September 26, 2009 at 5:53 AM (PDT)

Is anyone else underwhelmed by this?  big deal.  this is another one of those things that people bitched about for years but when it finally came it really wasn’t that big of a deal and i probably won’t use it very much.  i still think the email function worked better.

Posted by dick Bacon on September 27, 2009 at 9:41 PM (PDT)