AT&T makes major changes to iPhone, iPad data plans | iLounge News

AT&T makes major changes to iPhone, iPad data plans

AT&T has announced that it is making several major changes to its data plan offerings, including those for the iPhone and iPad, as well as giving a concrete timeframe for its iPhone tethering launch. The single $30 unlimited iPhone data plan will be replaced by a pair of options: DataPlus, which offers 200MB of data for $15 per month, and DataPro, which provides 2GB of data for $25. Should a customer exceed their data limit, they will receive either an extra 200MB of data for $15 on DataPlus plans or an extra 1GB of data for $10 on DataPro plans. Similar changes will be made to the company’s iPad data offerings, with the $30 unlimited plan being replaced by the new $25 for 2GB a month plan. All of the data plans offer free access to more than 20,000 AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots as well. Finally, AT&T will be offering iPhone tethering to customers on DataPro plans for an extra $20 per month; the feature will be available when iPhone OS 4.0 is released. Current customers are not required to switch to the new plans but can do so if they wish without extending their contracts; the plans will be available beginning June 7.

Apple CEO Jobs: iPhone OS started as tablet project (Updated) »

Comments

So now I have to “upgrade” my plan just to have the option to use tethering, which was supposed to be ready a loooong time ago?  Please Apple, make a CDMA compatible phone for Verizon and I will be at your doorstep on day 1, cancellation fee in hand.  I can’t even get service when I visit my mom as AT&T doesn’t have any.

Posted by Damon on June 2, 2010 at 9:03 AM (CDT)

I love my iPhone and iPad, but I think the day is coming when I trade my iPhone for an iPod Touch and either a Verizon MiFi + prepaid dumbphone or else a Verizon smartphone that has hotspot service.  There’s only so much crap I’m willing to take from a carrier.

Posted by Dyvim on June 2, 2010 at 9:22 AM (CDT)

EVERY TIME A NEW IPHONE COMES OUT THEY(AT&T) HAVE TO TRY AND BENEFIT FROM IT. ALREADY PAY $60 MONTH FOR THE TWOIPHONES, NOW I HAVE TO WATCH HOW LONG IM ON THE WEB….THIS IS GETTING A BIT TOO MUCH!!!!

Posted by Todd on June 2, 2010 at 10:22 AM (CDT)

Just analyzed my last years data usage.  I am on my iPhone constantly, although most at home and work with WIFI at both places.  My wife also has an iPhone.  This new pricing would have saved me $225 over the last year.  This is great news!

Posted by Jim on June 2, 2010 at 10:32 AM (CDT)

I reset my usage stats 4 days ago and I’ve already sent 25MB and received 500MB. I don’t have WiFi at work and I use my phone to stream internet radio in my office (because our network firewall won’t allow me to do it from my computer). Looks like that’s going to have to stop. They say “Current customers are not required to switch plans” but what do you bet that when my contract expires next month and I upgrade to the new iPhone, I’ll be stuck with the new, non-unlimited plan?

Posted by discussed on June 2, 2010 at 10:56 AM (CDT)

Did they announce a plan on how to provide voice coverage worth using?

Posted by Mike on June 2, 2010 at 10:57 AM (CDT)

Does the $20 extra for tethering get you additional data usage? Or is the extra $20 just for the “privelege” of allowing your laptop to eat away at your meager 2GB data plan?

Posted by discussed on June 2, 2010 at 11:00 AM (CDT)

I think this is fair. Networks are utilities. No one offers “unlimited” electricity, gas or fuel oil, so why should the carriers? The cost for tethering is a bit high, but will be a tax deductible business expense for most who really need it.

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on June 2, 2010 at 11:03 AM (CDT)

The Packages are fair.

Extra $20 for tethering is not.

Should be able to tether iPad to iphone.

Posted by Brent Copeland on June 2, 2010 at 11:31 AM (CDT)

Companies offer unlimited internet, television, home phone, satellite radio, etc. I think those things are much more comparable to mobile data than electricity, gas, fuel oil, etc.

I already have a Verizon MiFi for data, ATT has no high speed data network in the last two places that I’ve lived. I can’t wait until I can have an iPhone on a network other than ATT, thankfully my contract expires in September.

Posted by Michael on June 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM (CDT)

Bait and Switch.  They pumped the iPad 3G for months on the unlimited data plan with no contract and now they’re taking it away only what 2 months or less since the 3G launched?  Screw AT&T I’d rather pay the big cash to another carrier and use MiFI instead.

ATT can burn in hades and if Apple knew this I hope they know the government is already watching them and ATT ..things are about to get hot.

Posted by Liz on June 2, 2010 at 1:31 PM (CDT)

Could someone confirm/clarify: if my iPhone is connected to a WiFi network, data that I send or download would not be counted against these limits?  Thanks.

Posted by newbie on June 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM (CDT)

Well I was going to get the new iPhone when it comes out but now I will not be. No unlimited data plan? I don’t want to have to track my data usage. This is ridiculous. We don’t even have tethering yet and I still have used over 2GB of data.

Posted by Derek Ferguson on June 2, 2010 at 3:28 PM (CDT)

1st. AT&T promised all americans that “Tethering” will come available last summer. They said in june 2009 that tethering will be “available later this summer”. so as you see they lied to us, we have ground to sue because of false promises.

2nd. 2GB for $25 bucks is not ok, give us at least 5GB like Verizon do.

3rd. Apple is a great company and i believe in their products. I would like for Apple to open it’s doors for other cariers like Verizon or sprint. they will really be profit form that move.

4th. Heck, I would love the new iPhone but AT&T is the stopper here. I still have me iPhone3G and did not upgrade to the 3GS because of AT&T….

Posted by dennis on June 2, 2010 at 4:33 PM (CDT)

Time for a “dumbphone” and a WiFi-only iPad.

Glad the ETF was still only $175 when I signed my contract. That figure just got a lot easier to swallow.

Posted by Herr Doktor on June 2, 2010 at 4:34 PM (CDT)

@12: the counter on the iPad and iPhone show only 3G usage.  Wi-Fi usage is not tracked.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on June 2, 2010 at 5:50 PM (CDT)

Is this some kind of joke? Going from unlimited data to 2 GB a month (for only five dollars less) does NOT work… lots of people will probably need to get the extra 1 GB, bringing their monthly data fees up to $35.00.
AT&T doesn’t seem to care if everyone hates it… it just wants as much money as possible before the iPhone goes to other carriers (starting June 7? Isn’t that the date when the new iPhone will be announced?).

Posted by drumrobot on June 2, 2010 at 5:53 PM (CDT)

You know…I was all excited about hopping from Sprint to AT&T once the new iPhones came out. Now…not so much. I think I’ll just keep my iPod touch and snag an HTC Hero or something. At least Sprint still offers unlimited data on my plan…

Gods, AT&T needs to lose its iPhone exclusivity in the US, and soon.

Posted by Daniel S. on June 2, 2010 at 6:11 PM (CDT)

The worse part is 20 bucks for tethering!  So your 2GB = 25 Dollars plus 20 Dollars more (No extra GB) just to connect it to your Laptop!  That’s BS!  Looks like my next smart phone will be a droid!

Posted by Roger H on June 2, 2010 at 10:13 PM (CDT)

Bait & Switch, plain and simple. One of the selling points to this was that you could go month to month. Another was the all you can eat. This new scheme makes this not possible. A Class Action lawsuit needs to be filed and Apple needs to be kicked in the pants.

Lately they have been outta line constantly and they need to be put in check. uhum lawsuit, uh um, boycott

* Censorship
* Slave Labor (Foxconn)
* Trying to regulate technologies (Flash)
* Baiting and switching and just plain taking advantage of good customers.

Apple = Old Microsoft..but worse

Posted by Deus on June 2, 2010 at 10:57 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >