AT&T muddies fate of $15 iPad 3G plan | iLounge News

AT&T muddies fate of $15 iPad 3G plan

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, June 2, 2010
News Categories: iPad

AT&T has delivered contradictory statements regarding the future of the 250MB for $15 iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G data plan to separate publications. Speaking with Chicago Now, AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel said that users currently on the $30 a month unlimited iPad plan would be able to keep it, while users who haven’t signed up for it will be unable to, and will need to choose from the DataPlus plan, which offers 200MB for a $15 charge, or the 2GB for $25 DataPro plan, indicating that the current $15 plan will be discontinued for new users. Seth Bloom, also an AT&T spokesperson, chatted with TUAW, and said that “[t]he prepaid iPad $15 plan will not be affected at all by these changes,” adding that “[y]ou will continue to receive 250MB (not 200MB) after the changeover for the same $15 cost,” contradicting Siegel’s statement. iLounge has contacted AT&T about the issue and will update this story if and when we receive a response.

« iPad Camera Kits selling for big bucks on eBay

Noreve rolls out Tradition B, Sleeve cases for iPad »

Comments

This just makes me hate AT&T even more.  Suddenly the iPad 3G isn’t looking as good as the wifi model and the next iPhone isn’t such an easy decision.

Good Job AT&T, Way to increase prices in a matter of a month.  Fed’s need to check their business practices now.

Posted by shocked on June 2, 2010 at 6:57 PM (PDT)

I agree with Shocked. I won’t be buying a 3G iPad, but add to that that Verizon might be testing the iPad and I might hold out completely and see what happens

Posted by att on June 2, 2010 at 11:01 PM (PDT)

Just another reason why I’m glad I went with the WiFi model.  With four iPhones in my family, I already fork out enough $$ to AT&T as it is, only to feel jerked around by their poor coverage and indifferent customer service.

Hell will freeze over before I ever give them another thin dime.

Posted by Downing on June 3, 2010 at 4:09 AM (PDT)

Sounds like I need to keep my $30 package and Jailbreak my phone to tether!!

Posted by Jimmyfish on June 3, 2010 at 7:42 AM (PDT)

Just another reason among many that I avoided going with the 3G iPad. I dislike AT&T, my friends dislike AT&T (including the iPhone owning ones) and I knew something like this would come down the road. I’ll live with wi-fi only till AT&T loses its US exclusivity, thanks. *hugs my non-contract iPod touch and non-AT&T iPad*

Posted by Daniel S. on June 3, 2010 at 11:02 AM (PDT)

Bait-and-switch!  Months prior to release, a big part of the PR push included mention of the accompanying data plans for the 3G models.  A month after release, the data plans are about to disappear, being replaced with costlier one.

To keep the $30 plan, you must keep it active.  If you’re not needing the 3G for a month or so and you deactivate it, turning back on will be available only under the new plans.

Posted by benjitek on June 3, 2010 at 11:32 AM (PDT)