AT&T: No extra cost for iPhone MMS messaging | iLounge News

AT&T: No extra cost for iPhone MMS messaging

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, June 15, 2009
News Categories: iPhone

AT&T will not charge iPhone users with text messaging plans anything extra for MMS messages, according to a FAQ list (PDF Link) posted online. Support for MMS messaging will be included in iPhone OS 3.0, which is launching this Wednesday, June 17. Unfortunately, AT&T will not have its network ready to provide MMS service to iPhone users on that date, and has only said that the feature would be activated “later this summer.” In addition, the company has also committed to providing tethering support for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS, although it will only say the feature is coming “in the future.”

« BBC: Apple threatened to sour relations over report

Enter the iPWR SuperPack Giveaway today »

Comments

What I dont understand, is why AT&T;always seems to have problems.  Apple’s OS 3.0 has been in beta for months and AT&T;still is not ready.  This is a perfect reason why iPhone should be offered by all company’s, AT&T;just wants to monoplize the iPhone market.

Posted by AdeptJR on June 15, 2009 at 7:10 AM (PDT)

I’m surprised they aren’t going to charge extra for MMS.  I’m thankful though.

Posted by Ryan on June 15, 2009 at 7:28 AM (PDT)

Why is it that, considering MMS is basic functionality on a phone in this price range, am I saying to myself, “I’m really glad this feature is coming, at no additional cost, in a few months”? This is a feature that should have been offered by Apple & AT&T;from day one, and considering iPhones have the largest data volume of all phones available from AT&T;, shouldn’t cost any additional money if AT&T;isn’t charging for additional data volume. If I can e-mail a picture for free, why should I be charged extra for texting the same picture?

Posted by dagraham0 on June 15, 2009 at 7:39 AM (PDT)

I’m hoping Rogers/Fido won’t charge either.

Posted by Derek on June 15, 2009 at 7:57 AM (PDT)

Maybe that headline should read “Normal Charge for MMS texting” instead of “No extra cost”, as they are charging the same rates for mms texting as they are for regular texting (and that they charge for mms texting on other phones).

Or do you mean to imply I can send as many MMS texts as I like, without it costing me if I send more than the 200 text messages I’m alloted per month?

Posted by MainMac on June 15, 2009 at 8:10 AM (PDT)

AT&T;better get it’s act together. I really think when Apple can get away from AT&T;they will. I love my iPhone. I HATE AT&T;! They have really bad coverage in NYC and they are obviously not prepared for these new iPhone features which is offered on their other branded phones. I can’t wait till Apple goes to Verizon, that would be something.

Posted by JG on June 15, 2009 at 8:15 AM (PDT)

Depends what you mean by extra.  If you have a 3G phone and no text plan, I’m pretty sure MMS will cost $0.30 per message compared to $0.20 per text.  Might be time to finally get a text plan (or not).

Posted by Dyvim on June 15, 2009 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

Hopefully there will be no additional cost for “Tethering” as well.

Posted by Alden on June 15, 2009 at 8:52 AM (PDT)

#4

Are you kidding? You do realize that they are nicknamed ROBBERS for a reason, right? Did you forget that you will be charged for INCOMING text messages too? They even try to soften the blow by telling us that we have a 160 character limit per message versus 140 by other carriers….

ROBBERS will NEVER hesitate to milk you dry…..!

Posted by ahMEmon on June 15, 2009 at 9:07 AM (PDT)

Honestly I don’t think so. I think ATT will charge for MMS even if you have the say 5.00 dollar 200 Text Message plan. I mean you could send 200 pictures a month some people do and ATT would want that money now how many of sending pictures is too much or voice?? I wouldn’t believe this.

Posted by brian on June 15, 2009 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

How magnanimous. AT&T;is such a great company. Why, with this kind of generosity, I’m shocked that AT&T;doesn’t qualify for a 501(c)(3) exemption.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on June 15, 2009 at 9:19 AM (PDT)

Can anyone tell me where on the ATT website I can find this FAQ?

Posted by rendawg90 on June 15, 2009 at 10:16 AM (PDT)

It’s good to hear, but not far enough in my book.

I’m ready to upgrade my iPhone EDGE *and* get my wife on, too.

So what’s holding me back? Charging for SMS is going too far. It’s JUST TEXT. How can e-mail over 3G be free, and SMS cost extra? It’s included in my EDGE plan, why isn’t it included in the 3G plan as well?

I’ve been pretty happy with AT&T;‘s service the past two years. But they’re fooling themselves if they think they’ll retain customers with crap pricing just because of the iPhone. My patience with AT&T;is wearing thin.

Posted by Eric J. Gruber on June 15, 2009 at 11:38 AM (PDT)

i have the iphone (edge - pre 3g) and my data plan + 1500 text messages is 30 bucks per month.  If i upgrade to the new iphone, they split the test messaging out, so its 15 extra dollars/month for the same text plan i have.  How is that not called charging more!?

Posted by nick on June 15, 2009 at 1:14 PM (PDT)

what I don’t understand is if I’m already paying a wapping $35 a month data plan why should I have to pay AT&T;again to use that same data just cause I decided to use my ladtop. AT&T;stop riping us off tedhering or cellphone it’s the same data it isn’t costing you anything more stop double diping you’re scaming us

Posted by Bigwill on June 15, 2009 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

People love to chastise AT&T;but how are they any different than any other provider? You’re still charged by the text message with most other providers, including everyone’s favorite Big Red. (The only provider I know who doesn’t charge for incoming calls or text messages is US Cellular; too bad more companies don’t follow suit.)

SMS is a giant ripoff no matter which company you go with, especially with Internet phones with capable e-mail. Personally I don’t care about MMS. It’s a crappy “standard” to begin with. With push e-mail who cares about SMS?

@ Eric J. Gruber & nick: Apple is partly to blame for pricing. The problem is the 1st gen iPhone was a pretty good deal.  Since us 1st gen owners paid the full *unsubsidized* price, AT&T;/Apple basically cut customers some slack on the data plan. When the 3g rolled out, AT&T;paid for more of the phone but the 3g data plan needed was more expensive and pricing was on par with their other plans; text messaging was always an extra plan cost, just like it is on every other provider. I personally won’t be upgrading until there’s actually 3g in my area so we’ll see how long the $20/month original iPhone data plan exists.

Posted by Dave on June 15, 2009 at 2:53 PM (PDT)

no extra cost for mms if they dont make it available to us

Posted by john w on June 16, 2009 at 5:41 PM (PDT)

settle down people, at&t has to upgrade their system to handle the additional data transfering mss will require. the average basic phone transfers about 4mb of data on average a month. the average 3g user transfers 400mb of data a month. with mss added to the 3g this will increase the average data transfer by 2 to 3 times, so 800-1600mb. at&t’s network can’t handle this amount of data transfer rates, so they are upgrading. if at&t allowed mms right now, it would be SO slow that it wouldn’t be worth it.

Posted by chris cook on June 19, 2009 at 8:35 AM (PDT)

ATT sucks.  The old phone I had previous to the iphone was with Verizon and I could send pictures and video and it never dropped calls, but my super modern and pricey iphone still can’t send or receive just picture messages?  Apple needs to drop the restriction of only having ATT as a provider.  I would switch back to Verizon today if I could.

Posted by Sean on June 22, 2009 at 8:20 AM (PDT)

AT&T is horrible, but I have no choice. There are 2 areas in my house that are dead zones, so I’ll be texting/talking to someone on my iPhone, and it will either drop, or not send my message (which sometimes makes people pissed off when I’m having a conversation, as well as I, because I’ll be like, why aren’t they texting me back?

Whenever I saw my email about the update, I ran and downloaded it asap. (when I saw that the super-sweet MMS messaging was in it, something I’ve been waiting on for EVER) and you’ll not believe how pissed off I was when I saw that AT&T fails YET AGAIN. SERIOUSLY, WTF? Out of all the carriers, AT&T, a huge phone service, makes all of their customers po’d.

If this keeps up, I’m done with the iPhone. Sorry Apple.

Posted by Tyler on June 26, 2009 at 8:50 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >