AT&T offering 1K rollover minutes free via text? | iLounge News

AT&T offering 1K rollover minutes free via text?

image

AT&T is offering iPhone users a free gift of 1,000 rollover minutes via a text message, according to a new report. Citing reader submissions, 9 to 5 Mac reports that some iPhone users have received a text from AT&T stating, “You’re a valued AT&T customer. We’d like to add 1000 bonus rollover minutes to the mobile number ending in [blank]. There’s NO cost or obligation to you. It’s our war of saying thank you. To have your minutes added, reply YES by 3/31/2011.” AT&T has yet to post on its site or Facebook account any details of the promotion, but it appears to work: iLounge has confirmed that sending a text message of “yes” to the number 11113020 does result in a reply that states, “Thank you for accepting our free 1000 bonus Rollover minute offer. Please allow up to 4 weeks for processing.” While we provide this information to readers for their information, there’s no guarantee that the promotion is a bona-fide AT&T offer that will work as expected, so try it at your own risk. We have contacted AT&T for confirmation and will update if and when we hear back from the company.

Update: AT&T has confirmed the offer, saying “it’s a way of thanking our customers.”

« Geneva rolls out updated Model M for iPod, iPhone

iLounge Weekly newsletter coming later today »

Comments

Huh. Guess I’m not a valued AT&T customer… XD

Posted by Josh C. on February 11, 2011 at 4:37 PM (PDT)

Well,.. I haven’t gotten anything yet but just alone to know that the verizon iPhone Introduction has this impact on competition is a very good start :D

Posted by dennis on February 11, 2011 at 6:35 PM (PDT)

I tried it and it worked. The response was almost immediate, confirming that I was getting the minutes. The response said “Thank you for accepting our free 1000 bonus rollover minute offer. Please allow up to 4 weeks for processing.” Not bad…

Posted by John G. on February 12, 2011 at 12:57 AM (PDT)

I’ve already got eleventy billion rollover minutes.  How about some extra data usage, instead?

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on February 12, 2011 at 12:03 PM (PDT)

I had the same result as John G., including submitting the message on my wife and daughter’s iPhones.  Would be nice to see an extra 3K minutes on the account, hope it works.

Posted by AN_Other on February 12, 2011 at 10:13 PM (PDT)

I’m with Galley (#4) - our family plan has NEVER used anywhere near all of its rollover minutes. On the other hand, accidentally (or so the kids have claimed!) using data, costs at least $2 for a minuscule amount of data.

Posted by nancy g in Sunnyvale, CA on February 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM (PDT)

I do not own an iPhone but I am an ATT customer & I got this text to my phone.  Thanks for the update from ATT!  I signed up for the bonus minutes.  I don’t really need them, but you never know…

Posted by not an iPhone user on February 14, 2011 at 1:06 AM (PDT)

#5 - If you have 3 lines on a family plan, you will only get 1000 minutes credited to the account, not 1000 per phone.

Posted by E on February 14, 2011 at 8:09 AM (PDT)

Worked for me, as well. And, I agree with #4. My wife and I don’t need more talk time minutes; need more data! At least my wife. I have unlimited.

Posted by Daniel on February 14, 2011 at 9:51 AM (PDT)

This is actually a cross-promotion for their U-Verse rollout.. You have to be in a new market for U-Verse to be eligible for this “promotion”...

Posted by Ben on February 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM (PDT)

I just tried it and received this reply:

Thank you. Your rollover minutes will be added to your account within 4 weeks, subject to verifying your account eligibility. Limit 1 credit per account.

Posted by Jim on February 15, 2011 at 1:15 PM (PDT)