AT&T opens 3G network to iPhone VoIP apps
AT&T has announced that it has taken the steps needed so that Apple can begin allowing VoIP applications on the iPhone to run on its 3G network. Prior to the announcement, AT&T had blocked VoIP applications on its network, forcing applications such as Skype and Truphone to run over Wi-Fi only. The company previously allowed VoIP applications on other wireless devices, and has informed both Apple and the FCC of its decision. It will likely be some time before VoIP-over-3G applications begin appearing in the App Store, however, as the developers of VoIP apps will need to update their code to allow for 3G connectivity, and Apple will then need to approve the updates.
“iPhone is an innovative device that dramatically changed the game in wireless when it was introduced just two years ago,” said Ralph de la Vega, president and CEO, AT&T Mobility & Consumer Markets. “Today’s decision was made after evaluating our customers’ expectations and use of the device compared to dozens of others we offer.”
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Cooking Dash 2016, Disney Gif, iTunes U 3.0, Swarm 2.5, + Zipcar 4.0
- Apps containing Confederate flag pulled from App Store
- Google Play Music adds free, ad-supported streaming radio
- Transistor, Adobe Hue, Mic Room, Elevate 2.0
- Apple takes App Analytics out of beta, adds new features
- Apple debuts ‘Apple Tested Cases’ web page
- Showtime’s standalone Apple TV channel arrives with free trial
- Apple redesigning third-party accessory packaging for its stores
- Apple aims to bring back Home Sharing for music in iOS 9
- Report: iPhone 6S may be slightly thicker than iPhone 6
- Apple Pay set to launch in UK on July 14?
- Report: New iPhone’s base storage could stay at 16GB
- Apple exploring person-to-person Apple Pay transactions?
- Report: iPhone 6S to get 12MP camera, 4K video recording?
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?