AT&T responds to Verizon attack ads | iLounge News

AT&T responds to Verizon attack ads

In an unusual move, AT&T has issued an official response to Verizon’s recent attack ads, which led the iPhone carrier to file a lawsuit against Verizon last week. “As the U.S. market leader in wireless data service, we typically don’t respond to competitors’ advertising. However, some recent ads from Verizon are so blatantly false and misleading, that we want to set the record straight about AT&T’s wireless data coverage,” the response states. “AT&T’s wireless data coverage reaches 303 million people – or 97% of the U.S. population, where they live and work…. 233 million people or 75% of the population are covered by AT&T’s 3G network, the nation’s fastest. 301 million people or more than 96% of the population are covered by EDGE. AT&T is the #1 network for smartphones, with twice the number of smartphone customers than Verizon, our closest competitor.” The response goes on to note that AT&T smartphone customers—or more specifically, iPhone customers—have access to over 100,000 applications, are able to use both voice and data services simultaneously, and have access to “the nation’s fastest 3G network.”

« Apple releases software 1.0.2 for iPod nano 5G

iPodweek newsletter coming shortly, sign up today »

Comments

Keep twisting the truth, AT&T.  It will really help you in customers eyes.

- An iPhone customer in Portland, OR. who is actually fairly satisfied with his AT&T service, but who realizes that many areas in the US are not as well served, and does not appreciate AT&T’s constant lying about the subject.

Posted by 0megapart!cle on November 13, 2009 at 2:08 PM (CST)

Dear AT&T Cingular SBC Whatever you want to call yourself:

Your coverage may “reach” 97% of the population, but unfortunately only 10% can actually complete a successful call on your “fastest” network.

And that rate drops even lower in San Francisco and New York City.

Posted by zyzyzyzyzyzyx on November 13, 2009 at 2:16 PM (CST)

JonnyOneNote, my favorite AT&T bashing story is how the calls I made on my iPhone dropped over and over while I was standing outside of an AT&T store in New York City. Verizon, feel free to use my story in your next commercial, because it is true.

Posted by Dropitlikeitscold on November 13, 2009 at 2:31 PM (CST)

I switched providers to have an iPhone.  Pretty dumb hugh?  Anyway, having been both an ATT and Verizon customer I can say that based on my expierence Verizon has far better coverage.  Hands down.  The only reason ATT is responding to the Verizon ad is because it is accurate and it hit a nerve at ATT. I believe that ATT should spend more time on spreading their network throughout 100% of the geographic US rather than BS prople about only providing coverage to population centers.  What if I want to get away from 96% of the population?  Does that mean that my ATT phone will work 0.0% of the time?

Posted by MBB on November 13, 2009 at 4:07 PM (CST)

I think AT&T better pray that Verizon never gets the iPhone.  If they do there will be a stampede of users to switch.

I switched from Verizon to AT&T from Verizon just for the iPhone.  If Verizon gets it I will switch back in a heart beat.

Posted by BillS on November 13, 2009 at 4:19 PM (CST)

I fail to understand what sort of brain cell AT&T is using with their retorts. Verizon hasn’t claimed AT&T doesn’t reach 97% of the nation in some manner. Their ads are very clear: AT&T’s 3G coverage is pathetic and this hurts data intensive products like the iPhone, full stop. AT&T is coming back at Verizon like some of the forum posters you see: make a rebuttal to a claim no one ever made and say you win.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on November 13, 2009 at 5:34 PM (CST)

Same story here.. Switched from Verizon for an iPhone. I’ll be standing in line to switch back to Verizon when it finally snags the iPhone. I feel sorry for the iPhone-bashing, but NOT for AT&T.

Posted by teej on November 13, 2009 at 8:15 PM (CST)

I would switch to an iPhone in a heartbeat if Verizon was the carrier. Too many dropped calls with all my iPhone friends have kept me away.
Unfortunately the Moto Droid falls short of the slick iPhone. Come on Verizon get an iPhone.

Posted by bobmobilelime on November 13, 2009 at 11:27 PM (CST)

I fail to see any productive responses here.  However, anecdotally, I originally had Verizon and had to switch because I could not get a signal at my house, unless I walked 350 feet down the road.  Useless.  I then switched to Sprint, which I had for years, but their signal is unstable, and their customer service SUCKS!  I began switching over to ATT when I bought the original iPhone, and have now migrated to 3 iPhones and another cell phone, all on ATT.  I don’t like ATT’s customer service any better than anyone else’s I’ve been with, but the signal strength remains constant and I’ve never had a dropped call.  2 iphones are located in the Raleigh area of NC, and the other two phones are in the Cleveland, OH area.  Both packages get much better signal than Sprint.  I might consider Verison if they adopt the iPhone, but if not, I stick with ATT.

Posted by Jon Markle on November 14, 2009 at 10:09 AM (CST)

I’ve been with BellSouth Mobility/Cingular/AT&T for quite a while.  I’ve never had any problems with their customer service, but in some instances, their coverage has been lacking.

AT&T misses the point of the Verizon ad.  Verizon wasn’t attacking their lack of “data coverage”, they were pointing out AT&T’s lack of 3G coverage, which according to AT&T’s coverage map, is an accurate accusation.  AT&T has finally fixed some pretty huge dead spots in Hampton Roads, but they still have a long way to go.

I just took a trip overseas to Hungary, and noticed that even in some of the most remote areas of that country, I still had really good 3G coverage.  AT&T, stop with the Press Releases, and just beef up your network.

Posted by Jack_Ryan on November 14, 2009 at 10:11 AM (CST)

verizon sucks and the only reason att drops call it because it has so many customers they a stop the demand and they are putting up new poles to fix this problem att cannot peform miracles over night with the sudden boom of customers and new accounts it over powers the system att is the fastest because if their we as many people on verizon as att verizon wouldnt hav a chance and if their were as many people on att as verizon the att 3g would even go faster so people just wait and relize they are making new poles at a fast rate

Posted by jason lang on November 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM (CST)

I agree AT&T coverage in my area sucks, I love my iPhone and wish it was on Verizon. i wonder if Verizon would inexcusably cripple the iPhone like they do the other phones. Friends of mine have a droid, nice phone but far inferior to the iPhone.  I agree with AT&T that the ads are misleading and detrimental to AT&T but AT&T is not with out error in the matter either. When I was considering my iPhone it was very difficult to determine if I would even be able to use the internet related portion of the phone in my stomping grounds. Turns out that I can for the most part but there are MANY areas that I frequent that I have no coverage. That is also inexcusable on AT&T’s part.

Bottom line, AT&T sucks and sucks bad, if it weren’t for the iPhone I think they would be in a lot worse way right now.

Yes both of their customer service sucks.

Posted by Greg on November 15, 2009 at 9:43 AM (CST)

I believe AT&T is taking much too much advantage of their iphone exclusivity and needs some hard hitting competition. I for one will leave AT&T when it becomes feasible.

Posted by Bob Orenstein on November 15, 2009 at 3:21 PM (CST)

I went to the AT&T website and when prompted for my zip code I was informed that they don’t offer ANY COVERAGE in my area.  I have a hard time with their claim that 97% of the population has coverage.  In fact I know that most of my state and several of the surrounding states don’t have much or any AT&T service.

Posted by AB on November 15, 2009 at 9:27 PM (CST)

OK yeah there is the Edge but that’s like comparing Cable and dial up. Sure you get coverage but it runs like ass.The ad’s in my opinion are true. Sure I get coverage at my moms but if I try to access ahny6thing over the Internet all I get is frustrated and I give up.When I am there all it is is an over priced phone.
They never say anythiung about edge the ad’s CLEARLY say 3G coverage. AT&T face it you suck ass and your coverage sucks ass! Get your sit together.

They just know that the iPhone saved their ass and once the exclusive rights are gone they are %&$#@*!

Posted by Johnny L on November 16, 2009 at 12:44 AM (CST)

AT&T says they have coverage in my area, at least according to their map, but they have no coverage in the entire state. Check it yourself. Enter a ND zip code at the prompt on their website. No service. Look at the map. They say they have coverage. Here’s my zip code, 58701. Try it. See for yourself. AT&T has no service on a map that they say they have service for. Liars.

Posted by Steve on November 16, 2009 at 9:18 AM (CST)

AT&T doesn’t have a leg to stand on. The Verizon spots, if carefully read, are dead-on accurate; AT&T’s 3G coverage is pathetic.

Instead of this weak knee-jerk reaction, AT&T would do better to invest its profits into expanding both the reach and DENSITY of their 3G towers.

For the record, I’ve been a generally satisfied AT&T/Cingular/AT&T customer for nearly 10 years. But that’s only because I’ve been fortunate to live and work within their limited coverage areas. Any local traveling I do, even to large suburban areas, yields ZERO 3G coverage. And for that I say, “Sic’em, Verizon!”

Posted by Herr Doktor on November 16, 2009 at 11:16 AM (CST)

Yeah…..get this!

AT&T has absolutely NO coverage in my ENTIRE state. (Montana BTW) They do partner for roaming….but for “native” coverage, there isn’t any!!!

Posted by Kayle Michael on November 17, 2009 at 2:02 AM (CST)

In the three areas I’ve lived in the past 6 years, AT&T claimed to have 100% coverage.  While driving, I would drop calls ever few blocks in Charleston, SC.  In Clemson, SC - I would drop call when WALKING, some areas didn’t have any coverage at all.  In Columbus, GA, I now drop call while walking from room to room in my HOUSE!

Saying it so, doesn’t make it so.  Keep splitting those cells AT&T.  You’re a whore of a company.  Thank god for the droid.  Verizon here I come (it’ll be like coming home).  Verizon - Great coverage, reliable, consistent, and a strong signal that stays strong (unlike the limp noodle that is AT&T).

Posted by Jack Neary on November 21, 2009 at 4:42 PM (CST)

AT&T & Apple are both doing their customers a disservice. I have had both services and can tell you that AT&T service does NOT compare with Verizon’s coverage.  I consistently drop calls within a mile from my home in a major city.  AT&T should stop investing so much money arguing when they know it is the truth and spend some money to improve the service for their customers who are forced to do business with them just because they want an iphone.  Shame on both companies.  What goes around – comes around

Posted by Judith Mitchell on November 28, 2009 at 9:29 AM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >