AT&T, Apple servers already buckling under iPhone 4 customer load? [updated x5] | iLounge News

AT&T, Apple servers already buckling under iPhone 4 customer load? [updated x5]

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, June 15, 2010
News Categories: iPhone

Less than half an hour after the start of iPhone 4 pre-orders, the processing system used by Apple and AT&T to sign up new customers for iPhone data plans appears to be experiencing order-stopping technical issues. Though existing line orders for the iPhone 4 appeared to be working, attempts to use Apple’s “buyiphone.apple.com” pages to sign up for new service are stalling, producing an endlessly spinning gear with the message, “Please wait while we process your request,” and/or “session expired” notices claiming a timeout on the user’s side due to inactivity.

image

It remains to be seen whether these ordering problems are merely a brief early hiccup, or a repeat of past AT&T account issues that marred past iPhone launches with extended service activation delays.

Update: Problems continue an hour and fifteen minutes after the start of pre-ordering and appear not to be limited to new customers, or even just U.S. customers. Unusual Apple Store errors are appearing when attempting to pre-order iPhone hardware from the United Kingdom, and readers with existing AT&T accounts are also reporting timeouts when attempting to order the iPhone 4 from Apple’s web site.

image

Update 2: Nearly two hours into pre-ordering, the Apple Store’s prior timeout and spinning gear errors have now been joined by a generic “oops” error that appears when attempting to place the iPhone 4 in a cart for online ordering and at-home delivery. Apple currently appears to be falling back to a semi-working system that offers reservations for in-store pickups as an alternative to the still-problematic online ordering system.

Update 3: Apple has taken the Store offline in an apparent attempt to resolve the ordering problems. AT&T’s web site was, as of several minutes ago, processing iPhone 4 orders properly for existing customers but not yet taking orders from new customers. Like Apple, AT&T was accepting orders only for black iPhone 4 models without an option for white ones. As of now, AT&T’s site is down with a “currently doing maintenance” message.

Update 4: Both Apple’s and AT&T’s pre-order sites have returned. Reports from readers indicate that some AT&T iPhone 4 orders were abruptly cancelled for reasons unknown; we’d advise checking your e-mail account for cancellation notices in the event that you ordered from AT&T earlier this morning.

Update 5: Five hours after pre-orders started, both Apple’s and AT&T’s web sites are continuing to experience major service interruptions and order processing failures. We’ll update this story again when the problems are resolved.

« iPhone 4 Bumpers, Dock, Dock Adapters ship June 24 to July 2

iPhone 4, 8GB iPhone 3GS pre-orders open, minus white [updated] »

Comments

I can confirm what Alexcue is saying, I was able to reserve a 32GB at my nearby Apple store using the Apple Store application on my 3G.

Woot!

Posted by Skwid on June 15, 2010 at 11:15 AM (PDT)

No way I’m reserving for in store pickup.  Lines suck.

There’s no excuse for this outage in any case.  I’ve had FOUR order cancellation notices after getting all through the process and submitting the final purchase page, only to have it fail.  I sure hope this doesn’t cause all future orders to fail due to the system flagging me as “ordering too often” as the email implies.

What a debacle.

Posted by SantiagoDraco on June 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM (PDT)

Finally, my upgrade order went thru at 2:30 PM EST at ATT website. I got the order number but no confirmation email yet.

Posted by tigerinroc on June 15, 2010 at 11:35 AM (PDT)

AT&T is the BP of the wireless telecom industry.

Posted by NYsurfguy on June 15, 2010 at 11:57 AM (PDT)

YOUR ORDER HAS BEEN COMPLETED…

We’ll see how true that is!  Via ATT site just now.

Posted by SantiagoDraco on June 15, 2010 at 11:57 AM (PDT)

Was able to place my upgrade order through AT&T’s website after about 5 hours of trying through Apple’s site.  No confirmation email yet, though.  You also have to get it shipped to your billing address.

Posted by jkoz73 on June 15, 2010 at 12:27 PM (PDT)

I went to my local Radio Shack.  Signed up, and they will have it waiting for me.  She also said she would transfer all my old data on to it, and give me $100 for my old iphone 3G Life is good

Posted by Betti Boggis on June 15, 2010 at 12:49 PM (PDT)

I tried all day to upgrade on the apple store through my PC at work (I have to buy from apple as my wife got me a gift card for our anniversary yesterday) and was unable. I finally started messing around on my iphone 3g and through the safari browser, I accessed the apple store and was able to order it! A little tedious but now I will not have to go to the store with the rest of the planet next Thursday. FEDEX will be coming to me!

Posted by Matt on June 15, 2010 at 1:16 PM (PDT)

Read through all the comments and followed Alexcue’s cue and downloaded the Apple Store app and placed my reservation at my local Apple Store.  Quick and painless.  Email confirmation came 10 min later.

Posted by iphonefanboi on June 15, 2010 at 1:20 PM (PDT)

I tried to preregister for 12 hours with no success, downloaded the Apple Store app to my iPhone 3G and was able to reserve a phone with no problem, took less than 5 minutes.

Posted by Joe on June 15, 2010 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

Add my name to the list of frustrated customers.  I have been trying all day since 7am to pre-order an iPhone online via the Apple Store.  I have seen all the different spinning gears, error messages, and Safari time outs.  At least twice I have gotten all the way through the selection of data plan and texting to be foiled once again!

I did download the iPhone App and reserve one at my local store in a matter of minutes but I’d really prefer to avoid the store all together on launch day and instead sit in the comfort of my home and watch for the FedEx guy to bring my sweet little package.

I just wish Apple would take down the iPhone pre-orders completely until they have this figured out.  It is almost worse thinking I am going to get through the order process and have my hopes crushed at the end then to just know I can’t order!

Posted by TosaDeac on June 15, 2010 at 2:00 PM (PDT)

I was up @ 5 trying to pre-order.. They both had issues… I was getting through AT&T’s upgrade verification but couldn’t get past the Ooop’s message from Apple when I tried to add the phone to the cart.. Finally, around 9 am I put the order through the AT&T site without incident (I got the confirm email too).

The real issue is the differentiator for apple has always been “It Just Works”.. That’s why people pay a premium for their products… if things don’t work..or work poorly… it’s gonna hurt them.. but who am I to talk ... i was up at 5am trying to order the damm thing!

Posted by RogerH on June 15, 2010 at 2:28 PM (PDT)

THIS IS A SCAM & A JOKE!@!! I called ATT customer service and 3 stores to make sure I could exchange my 3gs for the 4, since I purchased it from ATT less than 30 days ago & was ASSURED that I could bring in my receipt & reserve. Today @ 9am Apple decided they would not accept CASH or DEBIT/VISA cards & sent an email to the stores that all reservations required a credit card & you must pay the FULL PRICE of the phone, even if it’s an exchange!! After my husband told everyone in line the screaming began! He then bought an AMEX gift card with the cash & they said that the store could process it but the main system declined it and cancelled the order!! SO after 3 hours on line I STILL HAVE NO IPHONE 4!! WHO DOESN’T TAKE CASH!!!!!

Posted by celeste on June 15, 2010 at 4:06 PM (PDT)

Well, now the wheels have really come off.

I just logged back onto AT&T for the first time since this morning. Now I can’t get anywhere because my eligibility date has been pushed back by a full year, to 6/16/2011.

When AT&T got the exclusivity agreement for the iPhone, I had faint hopes that the surge of subscriber revenue would come back to the consumer in the form of improved services. Shame on me for being an eternal optimist.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on June 15, 2010 at 4:16 PM (PDT)

Got in to reserve my phone and said that I could get it at the apple store when they come out. My mom did the same thing but she got an email verification and I didn’t. Anyone else having this problem?

Posted by Lauren on June 15, 2010 at 4:22 PM (PDT)

I started trying to order on Apple’s site at about 5:30 this morning.  Got the same errors as everyone else.  Apple store went down and came back up.  Tried some more, no joy.  Gave up and went to AT&T.  Site was slow, but I was able to complete my order with no problem.  Got the email confirmation.  No cancellation notice as of this evening, so I think I’m set.

Posted by hardcle on June 15, 2010 at 4:46 PM (PDT)

To Celeste who’s ranting about exchanging a phone bought 30 days ago…. are you serious?  You expect them to exchange a phone on an upgrade for a phone you bought (I’m betting actually over) 30 days ago?  That is not their problem it’s yours.  And you stating that they “assured” you that you could exchange it sounds like rubbish since if you were a smart buyer you would know you can’t return phones after usually 14 days, 30 if you are lucky.

You should have waited for the launch of the phone which was widely known to be coming in June.

Posted by SantiagoDraco on June 15, 2010 at 6:20 PM (PDT)

4:45PM. Done. Got reservation confirmation email. It’s like winning the lottery trying to get through the spinning wheel….

Posted by Jan Sondergaard on June 15, 2010 at 6:48 PM (PDT)

10:45 pm just got confirm thru the apple site for home delivery. Took at least 50 tries all day. Ridiculous..site now down for “repair” so hopefully….

Posted by glen e on June 15, 2010 at 7:54 PM (PDT)

Had success ordering two phones on Apple.com using my iPad (but it wouldn’t work on my Mac).  However, was very disappointed to see that the ship date is listed as July 2nd!  I saw that AT&T sold out, but Apple?  C’mon!!!

Posted by Craig m on June 15, 2010 at 8:02 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >