AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon offer new iPhone plans, deals
The four major U.S. cellular carriers have announced new plans that will allow customers to upgrade their iPhones or iPads more frequently, or receive unlimited data. Three of the new plans appear to be similar, with one carrier’s new plan going in a different direction:
- AT&T introduced its AT&T Next program today. The plan allows users to get a new AT&T iPhone or iPad each year with no down payment, activation fee, upgrade fee, or financing fees. Customers must pay a monthly device installment fee for 12 months, with fees varying based on the device. After making 12 monthly payments, customers can trade in the used device for a new device. If keeping the device, the installment payments end after 20 months. The AT&T Next program starts on July 26.
- T-Mobile’s recently announced JUMP! program is somewhat similar to AT&T’s program, though only for phones. iPhone users can upgrade their phone twice each year after a six-month waiting period, for an extra $10 monthly fee. This program is already in effect.
- Verizon (updated July 18, 2013) officially introduced its own device upgrade plan, Verizon Edge. Verizon Edge offers a flexible monthly payment plan that lets users spread the retail price of a phone over 24 months. The program will then let users trade in the phone and upgrade to a new phone after six months, if 50 percent of the retail cost of the user’s current phone has been paid. It will be available to Share Everything plan customers on Aug. 25.
- Sprint recently introduced its Sprint Unlimited Guarantee. Unlike the other three carriers, Sprint’s new plan is unrelated to upgrading devices. The Sprint Unlimited Guarantee lets customers lock in unlimited talk, text, and data on the Sprint network for life when signing up for the new Unlimited, My Way or My All-in plans. These plans are currently available, and start at $80 per month.
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 4 to developers, adds Apple Watch support
- Apple Pay coming to Canada in March?
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3 cellular models available in China this week
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 2 to developers
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Report: Apple agrees to accept product inspections from Chinese government
- IK Multimedia announces iRig Mic Studio
- NimbleBit announces Apple Watch support for Letterpad
- Apple acquires music analytics firm Semetric
- Apple terminates Crimean developer agreements due to U.S. sanctions
- Apple commemorates Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air 2
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014