AT&T stores offer early upgrades to iPhone 3G | iLounge News

AT&T stores offer early upgrades to iPhone 3G

AT&T stores have begun to offer fully subsidized pricing on the iPhone 3G to select early upgrade customers. According to Apple Insider, the company is waiving the upgrade clause for customers who are approximately 14 months into their 24-month contract and want to purchase an iPhone 3G. Previously, users who were not yet eligible for upgrade pricing were forced to pay $399 for the 8GB model and $499 for the 16GB. The move comes closely after the launch of contract-free iPhone 3G sales by both AT&T and Apple, suggesting the companies may be trying to clear inventory ahead of a new model.

« Last week to enter JBL On Stage Speaker Giveaway

Latest edition of iPodweek newsletter coming soon »

Comments

Thanks but no thanks, AT&T;. They really upset me as a customer by lying to me repeatedly about my upgrade eligibility and how they would be handling it.

You were such sticklers about this in the past, you can kiss my butt offering this to me now right before a new model comes out.

The lost about $700 in data plan sales because of they wouldn’t waive my upgrade eligibility. Jokes on them.

Posted by ort on March 27, 2009 at 2:14 PM (PDT)

I thought all owners of the original iPhone were eligible for the upgrade price at anytime due to the fact that our service plan would be increasing by $15 per month.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on March 27, 2009 at 2:35 PM (PDT)

My understanding was we (first generation iPhone owners) were eligible for upgrade at anytime because we never bought a subsidized phone in the first place….so likely this is directed at non-iPhone AT&T;customers.

Posted by TosaDeac on March 27, 2009 at 9:12 PM (PDT)

Also this just continues to show how Apple and AT&T;are trying to unload stock before a new device comes out in June/July…I can’t wait

Posted by TosaDeac on March 27, 2009 at 9:14 PM (PDT)

Users are reporting problems getting the early upgrade deal.

Posted by J on March 30, 2009 at 9:39 AM (PDT)

Or…they are trying to get Iphone users to renew before the Palm Pre is released…

Posted by Tom on March 30, 2009 at 12:29 PM (PDT)

Sorry, no dice. I went to my AT&T;store in Miami, FL and mentioned this today. They had no clue. I’m 15-16 months into my current contract, and they were even reluctant to offer me the $399/$499 pricing deal, which I’m NOT paying.

My friend at work was able to get the 16GB for $299 a couple days ago at another AT&T;location in town, but I suspect his contract was up (he has no idea whether it was or wasn’t).

I’ve never seen a company do such a good job of alienating its customers. Just when you think they can’t possibly stoop any lower, AT&T;bends you over for yet another round.

Posted by Patrick on April 6, 2009 at 4:16 PM (PDT)

The offer is currently online!!!  Works great got one for my son and daughter.

Posted by Rick on April 7, 2009 at 6:35 AM (PDT)