AT&T suffers setback in Verizon suit, airs response ad | iLounge News

AT&T suffers setback in Verizon suit, airs response ad

AT&T has suffered an initial setback in its lawsuit against Verizon Wireless over the latter’s recent TV advertisements attacking AT&T and the iPhone, but has also launched a new television commercial to counter the Verizon spots. A federal judge in Atlanta has denied an initial request from AT&T to force Verizon to pull its “map for that” commercials from the airwaves, the Asscociated Press reports, but did schedule a hearing on December 16 to give AT&T attorneys another chance to state their case. AT&T filed suit against Verizon Wireless two weeks ago claiming that the latter’s ads were “misleading.”

In response to Verizon’s ads, AT&T has launched a new TV commercial called “Side by Side” comparing certain characteristics of the two company’s offerings that favor the U.S. iPhone carrier. Starring actor Luke Wilson, the ad points out that AT&T has the “nation’s fastest 3G network,” which allows users to “talk and surf at the same time,” that it offers the most popular smartphones, and that its customers—more specifically, iPhone users—have access to over 100,000 apps. The new advertisement is available for viewing below in embedded form or can be viewed in high quality on YouTube. [via Mac Rumors]

« Incase unveils new chargers for iPod, iPhone

Marware debuts cases for iPod nano 5G, touch 2G »

Comments

Wow, that’s the worst commercial I’ve ever seen.

I mean it’s good to see AT&T try to fight fire with fire, rather than trying to sue Verizon, but you would think that AT&T might have come up with something a bit more creative.

And Luke Wilson? He’s not even the best Wilson out there! It’s like getting Billy Baldwin. At least T-Mobile has Catherine Zeta-Jones.

I think Verizon’s commercials, which are very clever, are pretty much calling it as it is.

Posted by cxc273 on November 19, 2009 at 12:17 PM (CST)

When you can’t get a signal, a fast network and apps are useless!  Verizon is telling it how it is…

Posted by txyall on November 19, 2009 at 1:09 PM (CST)

Wow, AT&T.  That’s really reaching.  The only thing you can say that’s better about your 3G network is that you can talk and surf at the same time.  You then talk about the iPhone (which Apple created, you didn’t) and the App store (which Apple create, you didn’t).

That’s the best defense you have?  Seriously?  Here’s an idea.  Save the money you spent paying Joke Wilson, and use it to improve/expand you lame network, so that I don’t have to keep switching my iPhone into EDGE only mode, to avoid dropping 4-5 calls a day on average, since the 3G signal goes from 5 bars to 3 bars to 0 bars while it sits motionless on my desk at work.

Pathetic.  You might as well have created a commercial having Wilson saying nothing other than “I know you are, but what am I?!  I know you are, but what am I?!  Jinx!!  No returns!!” and then running away like a 7 year old.  Would have had the same effect as the one you did create.

Posted by kmichalec on November 19, 2009 at 1:26 PM (CST)

# 3… Agreed.

Posted by franscene on November 19, 2009 at 4:31 PM (CST)

and it would have been a funnier commercial too!  Would have gone viral in seconds!

Oh, well, give it up, AT&T/Cingular/SBC/BS

Posted by zyzyzyzyzyzyx on November 19, 2009 at 4:37 PM (CST)

NO WAY I’m leaving Verizon and its wonderful network. I kept my iPod Touch (which I love) and bought a Droid. So far, I’m liking it very much.

Posted by JustMe on November 19, 2009 at 6:52 PM (CST)

In Los Angeles “Cell Phone City”, the iPhone drops calls more than any phone I’ve had since my first in the 90s.  AT&T should spend less money advertising and more money figuring out how to build their network.  This commercial conveys their lack of care about the core problem.  When is Apple going to admit their shameful mistake and sever their exclusive contract with AT&T?  It’s dragging the Apple brand down…

Posted by sad iPhone owner on November 22, 2009 at 8:40 AM (CST)

AT&T has an issue in my opinion. While strategically it has the iPhone that has gotten it boat loads of users, they are hogging it’s network with their usage patterns. Combined with the rather sad state of it’s network buildout to begin with and the fact that it has to pay a monthly revenue to Apple, it’s ROIC in it’s iPhone customers has to be very low. And hence such egrigious commercials. I have no love lost for Verizon ( I personally use Sprint which I believe is the beat value in wireless), but regardless ATT would probably be best served to fess up to the truth of it’s abysymal voice and data network upfront and just go on a very aggressive network and back haul buildout.

I love the iPhone but would never ever consider getting it by overpaying on AT&T iPhone plans and then have my intelligence insulted by such asinine commercials by AT&T and Apple.

Posted by Neurojava on November 23, 2009 at 10:19 PM (CST)