AT&T survey suggests iChat for iPhone | iLounge News

AT&T survey suggests iChat for iPhone

An online survey sent out by AT&T to iPhone users hints at a possible iChat application for iPhone. iChat is the messaging application Apple includes with its Mac OS X operating system. One of the slides in the AT&T survey asks users to rate the EDGE network performance when using various applications on the iPhone. iChat is listed along with YouTube, Google Maps, Email, Weather, Stocks, and Search. While it is possible that Apple is working on a version of iChat for the iPhone, it is also possible that the survey meant to reference the iPhone’s SMS text messaging application, which looks and acts quite similar to Apple’s desktop messaging applicaiton.

« Jobs in London, UK iPhone announcement imminent?

iPodweek coming later today, Take the current iLounge poll »

Comments

I don’t think it refers to SMS because it’s a survey on EDGE.  SMS doesn’t require EDGE.  Only iChat would to access the AIM servers

Posted by twitzgall on July 9, 2007 at 6:52 AM (PDT)

Hmm…I never got that survey :(.

Posted by Dan Richardson on July 9, 2007 at 8:09 AM (PDT)

I took the survey this morning and noticed iChat prominently mentioned, and I think other panels in the survey referred to text messaging differently, so I think this was an inadvertent leak. Rumors of an impending software update have been flying, and most of them center around the inclusions of iChat, landscape keyboard for all applications, image stabilization for the camera, and a file explorer feature.

I am laughing at the Apple haters who are derisively commenting about all the omissions of the out-of-the-box iPhone. The fact that Apple and AT&T seem to be attentive to consumer desires is impressive. I have purchased flawed, buggy products before that had issues which were ignored or never adequately resolved by software updates.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on July 9, 2007 at 8:13 AM (PDT)

“I am laughing at the Apple haters who are derisively commenting about all the omissions of the out-of-the-box iPhone.”

A firmware upgrade won’t fix the missing
· 3G
· memory card slot
· *true* voice dialing
amongst others.

Posted by Doctor Mantis on July 9, 2007 at 11:26 AM (PDT)

Gosh, that 3G thing still bugs everybody, even though the iPhone’s got WiFi, which is faster and continuously more prevalent. EDGE isn’t as horrible as many have said anyway, and it’s gotten better with AT&T’s infrastructure improvement.

And, yeah, I really am missing that memory card slot. Wow, wouldn’t it be great to add a whopping gigabyte to the eight I already have onboard? Yet another “omission” that isn’t worth all the crowing that has been done.

Oh, and as for voice dialing, I’ve never used that regularly because every phone I’ve had with that feature has poorly integrated it, and thus this benefit is negligible.

Is the iPhone perfect? No. But it’s by far the best of the umpteen cell phones I’ve owned, and it’s also the best iPod of the four or five I’ve had. So pardon me if I’m not going to join those in the Panties-in-a-Twist Brigade who have gone out of their way to tar and feather the device at every turn.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on July 9, 2007 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

Im sorry, im going to have to agree with flippy.  Its a pretty rare thing when im not around a wifi network i can hop on, not to mention, edge seems fast enough, im getting 160-200k on dsl reports with my iphone and pages load plenty quick as far as im concerned, its not like im going to be downloading movies with my phone.  As far as a memory slot is concerned, i have 8gbs of storage, WTF do i need a memory slot for!?!!  and lastly voice dialing?!?  OMG no voice dialiong, god forbid i spend the 3 seconds it takes to find ANY name in the really really really easy to use address book.

seriously people, as far as im concerned, anyone ######## about the iphones shortcomings (which i dont think it really has any) are probably just jealous that they donot have 700 bucks to spend on a phone and are stuck with thier blackberry.

now, in all honesty, the only complaint i have with this phone among the 4298374928734 things i have good to say about it, is this:  NO ICHAT??!?!!?  WTF.  but it looks like that will be taken care of shortly.  wink

Posted by Nate on July 11, 2007 at 6:22 AM (PDT)

I agree, the EDGE network really isn’t as bad as everyone is making it out to be, and furthermore I am usually in a wifi hotspot anyways (at college). I am disappointed with the lack of iChat, along with im sure many, many iPhone owners but hopefully Apple has realized their mistake and will release an update to remedy this asap.

Posted by Zerva on September 20, 2007 at 1:44 AM (PDT)