AT&T to crack down on jailbreak tethering | iLounge News

AT&T to crack down on jailbreak tethering

AT&T is finally preparing to crack down on iPhone users who take advantage of jailbreak tethering solutions to avoid paying for the feature. 9 to 5 Mac reports that as of August 11, any iPhone user who uses such a solution to tether their phone and has previously received a notice from AT&T regarding their use will automatically be switched from their current plan—including grandfathered unlimited plans—and onto the 2GB/$25 plan, and will have the $20 2GB tethering option added. Users who stop tethering before the date will apparently be able to keep their current plan. AT&T confirmed similar plans in March of this year, but apparently had yet to act upon them.

« Demolition Dash adds Endless Run mode

Grace Digital intros ECO Pod for iPod, iPhone »

Comments

And the gloves come off. So happy to be a Verizon subscriber.

Posted by Clint on August 4, 2011 at 4:49 PM (CDT)

AT&T can go to Hell, if they change my contract that is a breech of contract on their part and the contract is VOID. Go right ahead AT&T I can’t wait to get of your lousy contract.

Posted by Darin on August 4, 2011 at 5:00 PM (CDT)

Any idea if AT&T tracks the old app HandyLight that allowed tethering for iPhones that are not tethered? That used a proxy are they able to track it?

Posted by Luke on August 4, 2011 at 5:20 PM (CDT)

@2: I hate this news as much as you do but—check your contract. I do believe you’ll find that AT&T has NOT broken it—but if you are illegally tethering, you very well may be.

Posted by Clint on August 4, 2011 at 6:42 PM (CDT)

Good. People who don’t follow the rules should be punished.

Posted by Dick Bacon on August 4, 2011 at 8:04 PM (CDT)

I do not see how this is legal. I pay for phone and then pay a monthly fee to access AT&T network with that phone. Connecting a laptop to my phone is not changing the device accessing the network. All it is doing is allowing me to see my browsing on a larger screen what I normally would see on a 4” screen.

Posted by Vaughan on August 4, 2011 at 8:13 PM (CDT)

I hate the thought as much as everyone else, but read your contract, people. I’m sure most who signed a contract with AT&T never read the pages of terms and condition they were presented with and signed blindly while they were salivating over getting their hands on their new iPhone 4. In the T&Cs; that you agreed to, AT&T has every right to change your plan if you are found to be doing something not allowed by your contract terms.  Actually, if you are tethering behind AT&Ts; back, technically, you are the one doing something that violates the contract, and you have no right to terminate the contract without an ETF.  Sorry.  I know it sucks.  I think it sucks too, as I believe data should be data, regardless of how it’s used.  But we all signed the same contract.  So, you can save your “I’m going cancel and avoid ETFs if they change my plan…blah blah blah”.  Sorry, but you can’t.

Posted by Kevin on August 4, 2011 at 9:19 PM (CDT)

Just another reason to friggin’ dump ATT.

The ONLY reason why the company is doing well is because of the iPhone! PERIOD!

Seriously, why create a “smartphone” which you KNOW needs data access but then LIMIT the data access to a “pay as you go” plan?!

It’s F****** stupid as hell!

Adding insult to injury, ATT spends **how much** to buy Tmo instead of spending to upgrade their data infrastructure?!

ATT can go to HELL!

Apple can also go to HELL to as the iPhone’s 3G service will ONLY work on ATT’s network in the USA! Overpriced phone with limited features!

The ONLY reason why the iPhone is still doing well is the iOS it has… it’s simple to use. Forget about apps! App this, app that… get a friggin’ life people!

Posted by Joe Shmoe on August 7, 2011 at 8:31 PM (CDT)

Is it not a fact that whenever somebody makes the comment “Get a life” that more often than not, they need to take their own advice?

Posted by SkiBumMSP on August 9, 2011 at 12:00 PM (CDT)