AT&T to offer prepaid iPhone service? | iLounge News

AT&T to offer prepaid iPhone service?

image

Apple’s iPhone may be available with prepaid cellular service, according to a report from a mobile industry insider blog. The Boy Genius Report has posted screenshots purported to be from an internal AT&T/Cingular system which shows that the iPhone will be available three ways—traditional subscription service, Go Phone Pay As You Go (prepaid), and Go Phone Pick Your Plan (hybrid). If true, prepaid iPhone service would allow consumers to purchase and use the iPhone without signing a lengthy AT&T service plan or dropping their current carrier. Prepaid Cingular cards start at $15.

« Monster now shipping iFreePlay headphones

Verizon COO: iPhone response coming ‘late summer’ »

Comments

If that’s the case, the iPhone will sell like hot cakes. Many people are with different companies and won’t change just for the iPhone. I think I may need a second phone. Hope it’s true!

Posted by dave on May 22, 2007 at 3:47 PM (CDT)

Smart move if tryue.
I for one would not have been buying the phone because I do not want to be locked into a 2 year contract… but I would pay a few hundred for the hardware and pay as I go…definately up for that!

Posted by Boca on May 22, 2007 at 5:36 PM (CDT)

Having just ended my current contract with T-Mobile (using SideKick II) I have been hunting around for a suitable phone to replace the SK.

I wanted to retain the ability to access the internet on a mobile but at a reasonable cost.
Not wishing to be tied into a 12 or 18 month contract (for obvious reasons) I have moved to a Pay As You Go plan with the “web n walk” service available for never more than £1 a day (Charges of 0.73p per KB apply until £1 per day (midnight to midnight) is spent).

If Apple are looking at this option then I can see T-Mobile being a logical choice for the UK at least. Vodafone have just launched a similar internet package for their network but it is more like the £7.50 “web n walk” monthly charge that T-Mobile have.

Until the iPhone lands here (the UK) I’ll be using the Samsung SGH-D900….

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on May 22, 2007 at 6:46 PM (CDT)

I have been extremely happy with my unlimited data plan add on at $4.99 with T-mobile. If I could combine it with a better interface (bluetooth modem a K800i with my MBP in the states) I’d have a killer combo. I cannot wait for the wild release of this device and the hacking to begin.

Posted by miketcool on May 22, 2007 at 7:22 PM (CDT)

That would be great for me since I only use about 200 minutes per month.  Just as long as there’s some kind of unlimited data service for no more than $15 per month (like Sprint offers).

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on May 22, 2007 at 8:46 PM (CDT)

Yeah, but to go prepaid for data will cost you more, not to mention that the iPhone won’t have a contract discount, meaning that you could very well have to pay full price for one.

Posted by The Soup Nazi on May 22, 2007 at 11:44 PM (CDT)

When ever you get a pay as you go phone, its way way more expensive then getting the same phone with a plan. At this rate a pay as you go iPhone will be like 700 bucks or more.

Posted by Ryan on May 23, 2007 at 12:38 AM (CDT)

Ryan,
If you use up all your bundled minutes of talk time and texts then the ‘plan’ may work out cheaper.

But these companies give away free phones or heavily discounted phones by getting the customer to agree to lengthy contracts.

For example one of the price plans I was offered would have cost me £500 over the 18 months. And with no replacement on offer for the SideKick (T-Mobile have dropped SK from their range) I would have had to go with something else.

So how much does a contract based plan cost when compared to just buying the phone?
I would wager that it will be a close call.

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on May 23, 2007 at 5:39 AM (CDT)

No way data is gonna be cheap on pay-as-you-go.

Posted by dopial on May 23, 2007 at 9:36 AM (CDT)

“No way data is gonna be cheap on pay-as-you-go.
The MBs this thing is gonna use with e-mail, web browsing, google maps etc, is gonna make a lot of people burn thru phone cards real fast!”

Yeah, but AT&T might do some sort of pay $X/day for unlimited usage of y sort of thing, just like T-Mobile does with prepaid Sidekicks.

Posted by Nobody on May 23, 2007 at 2:45 PM (CDT)

That’s great - I would love an iPhone but the subscription price is hefty!

Posted by Toni on May 23, 2007 at 4:39 PM (CDT)

I think a lot of people are overlooking the fact that the iPhone has WiFi.  Many won’t even need a data plan at all while others may only need a minimal one for time when they are not in range of a WiFi network.

Posted by Phil on May 23, 2007 at 6:53 PM (CDT)

Phil,
Good point - and with many towns/cities rolling out free wifi in the UK that would be really handy!!!

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on May 23, 2007 at 7:29 PM (CDT)

I am looking to buy the iPhone but do not want to pay 60 bucks for 2 years, when they have Pay-As-You-Go for the iPhone could someone please email me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) to let me know.
Thanks

Posted by Damian on November 4, 2007 at 11:44 AM (CST)

i totally would want the iphone if its prepaid the phone I have now is so reatarded it is the env I think it is one o the most worst phoes ive ever had

Posted by john on January 15, 2008 at 5:52 PM (CST)

there is a way to make an iphone prepaid go to google and type prepaid iphone to get details… you make a false SSN in itunes then you select prepaid =D

freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom!!!

Posted by cell sheet on June 10, 2008 at 12:18 PM (CDT)

How soon the prepaid iphone coming out this year, how soon it the store?I have a nokia 6085 prepaid phone for about 1 year.

Posted by Joseph D. Granger on March 28, 2009 at 8:26 PM (CDT)