AT&T, Verizon, Sprint unlimited LTE data plans differ
AT&T customers who were grandfathered into the company’s unlimited 3G data plan can continue to receive unlimited data on the iPhone 5’s 4G LTE network, a press release has confirmed. Unlimited data customers can keep their current data plans, though LTE users who exceed 5GB of data per month will be throttled—a jump from the 3GB throttling cap of prior AT&T data plans. AT&T will apparently not offer FaceTime Over Cellular video calling functionality or Personal Hotspot tethering to unlimited LTE users.
As previously announced, grandfathered unlimited 3G data customers will be able to get unlimited Verizon LTE data, but won’t be able to buy an iPhone 5 at a lower subsidized cost. However, the carrier will be offering FaceTime Over Cellular and Personal Hotspot over all of its data plans. AT&T will require subscribers to join a data-sharing plan to use FaceTime over cellular.
Like Verizon, Sprint is offering FaceTime Over Cellular to users, and the company will offer unlimited data on its 4G LTE network—a seemingly major advantage over rivals. However, Sprint’s LTE network is tiny by comparison to Verizon’s, meaning that its unlimited data speeds for iPhone 5 will be no better than the iPhone 4/4S in most U.S. markets.
- iPad Air 2 unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- Apple updates Pages, Numbers, Keynote for iCloud Drive
- iOS 8.1 gets official, adding Apple Pay, photo features (Oct. 20)
- Apple Pay to launch Oct. 20 in U.S., 500 new banks on board
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus come to 36 more countries and territories this month
- Users reporting iOS 8 Bluetooth connectivity problems
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- AT&T locks Apple SIM cards upon activation in iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- iTunes music sales down at least 13 percent worldwide
- iPad Air 2 includes NFC chip, but likely won’t be used (Updated)
- Apps of the Week: Inbox by Gmail, Pixelmator, NHL 2K + more
- iPad mini 3 unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- iPad Air 2 Control Center features separate mute and rotation buttons
- GT Advanced announces settlement with Apple
- iPad Air 2 ships with 10W power adapter
- Olloclip debuts 4-in-1 Photo Lens for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus
- iFixit posts iPad Air 2 teardown
- Speck MightyShell for iPhone 6
- Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor
- Just Mobile Xtand Go Z1
- PowerSkin Pop’n 2 for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- APC M5BK + M10BK 5000/10000mAh Mobile Power Packs
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0