AT&T, Verizon, Sprint unlimited LTE data plans differ
AT&T customers who were grandfathered into the company’s unlimited 3G data plan can continue to receive unlimited data on the iPhone 5’s 4G LTE network, a press release has confirmed. Unlimited data customers can keep their current data plans, though LTE users who exceed 5GB of data per month will be throttled—a jump from the 3GB throttling cap of prior AT&T data plans. AT&T will apparently not offer FaceTime Over Cellular video calling functionality or Personal Hotspot tethering to unlimited LTE users.
As previously announced, grandfathered unlimited 3G data customers will be able to get unlimited Verizon LTE data, but won’t be able to buy an iPhone 5 at a lower subsidized cost. However, the carrier will be offering FaceTime Over Cellular and Personal Hotspot over all of its data plans. AT&T will require subscribers to join a data-sharing plan to use FaceTime over cellular.
Like Verizon, Sprint is offering FaceTime Over Cellular to users, and the company will offer unlimited data on its 4G LTE network—a seemingly major advantage over rivals. However, Sprint’s LTE network is tiny by comparison to Verizon’s, meaning that its unlimited data speeds for iPhone 5 will be no better than the iPhone 4/4S in most U.S. markets.
- Twitter CEO hints at larger Spotlight integration
- China outpaces U.S. in iPhone sales for first time
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4 beta to developers
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- YouTube app won’t work on older Apple TVs, versions of iOS starting in May
- Apple releases iOS 8.4 beta to developers, with new Music app
- Report: Apple still missing key music streaming deals in time for WWDC debut
- Apple TV adds Shomi, CraveTV channels in Canada
- Apple TV adds CBS Sports, USA Now channels
- GE’s intelligent LED lightbulbs will work with HomeKit
- Apple releases band design guidelines for Apple Watch
- New Apple TV remote to have touchpad
- Report: New 12.9” iPad will feature Force Touch, Bluetooth stylus, NFC
- Apple asking music labels to kill Spotify’s free streaming tier
- Apple updates support article confirming Apple Watch tattoo issue
- Apple reportedly hires four more producers from BBC Radio 1
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Mobee Technology Magic Case 6 for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Skech SkechBook for iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Yurbuds Liberty Wireless Earphones
- Apple Watch
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?