AT&T’s FaceTime restriction sparks FCC complaint
Three groups have informed AT&T that they will file a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission regarding AT&T’s plan to restrict certain subscribers from using Apple’s FaceTime Over Cellular feature. Free Press, Public Knowledge, and the New America Foundation’s Open Technology Institute are contending that AT&T is violating network neutrality rules.
AT&T previously announced that FaceTime Over Cellular would only be available on its more expensive Mobile Share data plans. The announcement has drawn plenty of criticism, and the official complaint isn’t surprising — Free Press started a petition about the carrier’s policy in August. Today’s release from the group calls AT&T’s decision “a clear violation of the FCC’s Open Internet rules.”
AT&T responded to the original concerns, arguing that it didn’t violate net neutrality rules. It’s unclear as to when the FCC may respond to the complaint. Verizon and Sprint aren’t placing any user restrictions on FaceTime Over Cellular functionality. [via GigaOM]
- Apple releases iOS 8.4 beta to developers, with new Music app
- Sprint, UK’s EE add Wi-Fi calling with iOS 8.3
- Apple releases iOS 8.3, iCloud Photo Library comes out of beta
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Samsung creates exclusive team to build Apple screens
- Ikea reveals US prices for Wireless Charging Collection
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?