Australian teenager experiences ‘exploding’ iPod | iLounge News


Australian teenager experiences ‘exploding’ iPod

A Melbourne, Australia teenager caused a “small explosion” when trying to fix his iPod with a screwdriver this week after his mother accidently ran the device through the washing machine.

“The boy was treated by paramedics at his Bayswater home for breathing difficulties after ingesting fumes emitted by the device as he pulled it apart in his suburban bedroom about 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday,” The Age reports.

Country Fire Authority spokesman Peter Philp said the iPod had been taken away for testing by CFA investigators, but noted that it was “more of a pop” than an explosion and that it was “more smoke than fire but it did leave a burn mark on the [bed] cover.”

Related Stories




Posted by matt928347 on May 13, 2005 at 7:08 PM (CDT)


Hmm..the only thing i can think of that might explode and produce poisonous fumes is the battery!

Posted by shaunyeap on May 14, 2005 at 7:01 AM (CDT)


Wonder if was a ‘European’ washing machine that the iPod was run through…

...sorry, just read the ‘iCon’ excerpt from and got a little goofy after the ‘spin’ cycle.

Posted by flatline response on May 16, 2005 at 4:40 PM (CDT)


I keep reading about iPod in the washer and iPod in the toilet episodes.  I had the ‘wet iPod’ experience with my previous 4G.  Other than cleaning it (yes,  with soap and water) all I did was let it dry out for about 24 hours.  I reset and reloaded it and it worked fine.  People need to stop trying to open the iPod in these situations.  Unnecessary.

I am skeptical about the alleged explosion.

Posted by Podesta on May 16, 2005 at 6:45 PM (CDT)

Subscribe to iLounge Weekly

Sign up for the iLounge Weekly Newsletter

iLounge is an independent resource for all things iPod, iPhone, iPad, and beyond.
iPod, iPhone, iPad, iTunes, Apple TV, Mac, and the Apple logo are trademarks of Apple Inc.
iLounge is © 2001 - 2018 iLounge, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy