Axxess offers iPod auto adapters for VW, GM | iLounge News

Axxess offers iPod auto adapters for VW, GM

Axxess has introduced two direct-connect iPod auto adapters that allow playback over either a GM or Volkswagen OEM radio. The adaptors enable the factory head units to control iPod functions, including next/previous track, playlist selection, shuffle modes, and more. Radios with text capability will display the playlist and track number, artist, track name and album name. The adapters work with all VW stereos (with a round scan button) from 1998 forward, and all GM Class 2 vehicles with changer ports. The products are priced at $189.99 each and will be available at Axxess retailers in late February.

Axxess said that iPod adapters for Ford and Chrysler vehicles are scheduled for introduction by late March, with those for Honda, Nissan and Toyota scheduled for release throughout the spring.

« Mix: iPod stereoscope, shuffle stickers, Caesars, Frisk mints

Napster takes on iPod with portable service, ad campaign »

Comments

The link is to metraonline, not Axxess.

Posted by arsolot on February 3, 2005 at 7:18 PM (PDT)

Has any one tried the Neo iOn.  I have a Dodge and it looks like this is the only unit of its kind that will work with a Dodge and allow use of the hand controls

Posted by metajj in Houston on February 4, 2005 at 11:24 AM (PDT)

I just ordered one and i will let you know as soon as i get it installed. btw i also have a dodge so the information should be very helpful.

Posted by 11b30b4 on July 2, 2005 at 3:05 PM (PDT)

I just purchased the Axxess interface for my 01 Prelude, and installed in about 1 hour. Snuck the ipod mount into the glove box- MUCH happier than the cables and FM transmitter solution. This being said- I have the following comments about this product:

-The site http://www.metraonline.com contains no information about the product / support etc. The manual contains basically no information. (about 4 lines of useful info)

-Unit shuts off backlight function on ipod when the ipod is disconnected

-Random play appears to pull songs from the entire playlist, however regular play seems to loop at 99 songs

-If while on Random play and I decide hey I would not mind listening to the rest of that album, and shut off random play it will jump at random one more time, then play in sequence, making it impossible to listen to the next song in proper sequence.

-When ‘next’ song is selected the song stutters for 5 to 20 seconds prior to playing. (This happens about 1 in 10 times)

On the plus side:

-The sound quality is fantastic! I will never use iTrip again in the car.

- No more temptation to fiddle with the ipod in traffic.

If anyone has links to proper support doc for this company- I am hoping to get answers to the problems posted above- or I may return to Circuit City, and order the PIE interface…

Posted by Brad on July 8, 2005 at 8:08 PM (PDT)

Comeon, I wanna know the important stuff!

Such as how seamless is the control? Can u select playlist/sound quickly painlessly?

How is the display on the factory head? what does the external display looks like (when can’t display on factory’s head).

Posted by bobb-mini on July 13, 2005 at 1:20 PM (PDT)

Try http://www.wire-tunes.com

Posted by Sugar Fix on July 19, 2005 at 4:31 PM (PDT)

I have a 2005 GMC.  Would installation of a Wire-Tunes unit restrict the use of the OEM CD player?

Posted by Stephen on September 16, 2005 at 6:24 PM (PDT)

I just purchased an Axxess CRIP-01 to interface my 3g iPod into my Chrysler Pacifica.  Despite the package labeling and documentation, this device will not interface with a 2004 Pacifica.  I verified this fact in discussion with Metra Electronics, mfg of Axxess, tech support.  Their comment to me was, “sorry, our documentation is in error…”

Posted by gdavids1 on September 24, 2005 at 10:17 AM (PDT)

I just got the axxess controller for my Honda Civic. It seems to work ok. The sound is great. But it is hard to navigate through the songs / playlists. Only 4 playlists are suported (buttons 2-6) and sometimes wierd things happen like songs jumping. Product needs a bit more maturity. Also no song information is displayed on my civic (but that might be because of the OEM radio). Charges good! and nice long strong cables.
Does this work with the new 5g video pod?

Posted by Eric on December 28, 2005 at 10:18 AM (PDT)

Has anyone else used this for a honda?  I am hoping to get something to use my ipod with our Odyssey van.

Thanks

Posted by Paul on January 4, 2006 at 11:09 AM (PDT)

Anyone used this on a VW? I just started looking for interfaces for the car and came across this unit on eBay for $0.99(!). I bought one for $6.99 shipped and it should be here next week. now I’m doing a little research, and while there seem to be some quirks, I can’t believe how cheap this thing was. For the price, I can’t even get a cassette adapter! There seem to be plenty at this price on eBay, too.

I’ll report back once I get it installed.

Posted by bryanus on January 5, 2006 at 12:12 AM (PDT)

i just installed the axxess vwip-01 in a 03 audi a4 it took a litle work make the plug work but that went ok. my complaint is that i have a ticking sound in the speakers when ever i switch to the ipod. it sounds like a fan motor tick but i had the motor off and the a/c controls turned off too. has anyone had a problem like this? i too found no help from the axxess website.

Posted by chris on January 21, 2006 at 3:23 PM (PDT)

well i just tried it out some more and found that it only allows me to look at 99 tracks in 6 different folders total. that is pretty useless when i have over 5000 songs on the ipod. time to return it.

Posted by chris on January 21, 2006 at 9:31 PM (PDT)

Does anyone know where to get the “external display” for the Axxess VWIP-01????

Email me if you do please!!!

Thanks,
-C

Posted by chaz on July 22, 2007 at 7:34 PM (PDT)

I just got one for my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (for Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles).... and when I plug it in to the head unit and start the vehicle, after 5-10 seconds all the warnings lights start coming on, and the engine turns off.

I unplugged the connection and then the car starts fine.  I tried it like 5 times just to make sure I wasn’t going crazy.

Any ideas what would cause this???  Please email me if you have any suggestions.

Posted by Jason on March 26, 2008 at 8:13 PM (PDT)