‘BadApple’ brings podcast features to iTunes | iLounge News

‘BadApple’ brings podcast features to iTunes

BadApple is a free plug-in for the Windows version of iTunes that enables users to download and manage podcasts directly within the application.

“After downloading and installing BadApple, you will have a ‘Podcasts’ link you can click on from iTunes,” explains the developer. “You can use this to browse through categories to find the Podcast you want. Each podcast has a description. Once you locate a podcast you are interested in, double clicking on the podcast will load it to your library. When you plug in your iPod the podcast will be loaded to that depending on your settings.”

« TechRestore offers lifetime iPod battery replacement

Griffin debuts iFill Internet Radio recorder »

Comments

nice idea…..but with iTunes 4.9 coming in a few weeks, whats the point?

Posted by vertigounlimited on June 20, 2005 at 12:11 PM (CDT)

So far I have heard of three people that installed this including me.  here are the results:

1. Installed, restarted, it works, BUT: No subscribtion to a feed and you cannot connect to the ITMS when BadApple is running.

2. It crashed iTunes so badly that iTunes had to be reinstalled without BadApple

3. Nothing happened.  Nothing at all.  BadApple installed, but was not activated nor had any effect whatsoever, No added features, no crashing…just…nothing.

Stay away, people.  There’s no point in it with 4.9 on the way, and the code is a right disaster.

Posted by stark23x on June 20, 2005 at 9:58 PM (CDT)

Yea I just installed it and uninstalled it immediately. I had to go to the badapple support site to remove a line from my hosts file to get my ITMS working again. I’ll just wait for 4.9. The reason that badApple is still a better concept is bc we get to choose our Podcasts, not Steve Jobs.

Posted by Ankur on June 21, 2005 at 3:27 AM (CDT)

Posted by Rob on June 21, 2005 at 9:33 AM (CDT)

Rob,

Check the BadApple forum on their website, they are offering help.

I will be avoiding using BadApple though, sounds like trouble.

Good idea, bad execution.

Posted by Chris on June 21, 2005 at 10:01 AM (CDT)

Thanks Chris,
Looks like problem is solved.  I will have to wait until I get home to know for sure.  At least now anyone like me who checks this great site will know where to go.  Although I may be the only one without enough sense to check badapple first.

Posted by Rob on June 21, 2005 at 11:50 AM (CDT)

“I had no response after downloading.  Itunes music store would not open.  I uninstalled BadApple and now when I try to enter music store I get the message that I am unable to access because internet connection is refused.
I have rebooted several times after using system restore to a time previous to BadApple download.  I have reinstalled Itunes 4.8.  I have checked firewall settings.  I have reset explorer settings. Any help would be appreciated.  I have emailed I tunes and am waiting for their response but fear it will be some generic answer that will not help.”

had this problem, ran WinsockXPFix.exe to fix it.
badapple = bad software

Posted by gstspyder in michigan on June 21, 2005 at 9:52 PM (CDT)

Not just BadApple but rotten apple. Modifying the 127.0.0.1 entry in a person’s host file is just wrong. Not putting it back is nasty.

That IP address is used by a number of things to get a base reference. Anyone who mucks with it is either a hacker or just doesn’t know what they are doing.

Stay away from BadApple.

Bill B

Posted by bill b on June 21, 2005 at 10:36 PM (CDT)

To fix this—

Go to My Computer\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Double click on hosts

Tell windows you want to use Notepad to open the file.

Look for the line that begins with 127.0.0.1

Change the name after the number to - localhost

Do not change any other lines in the hosts file unless you know what you are doing.

Save the file.

You do not have to reboot.

Bill B

Posted by Bill B on June 21, 2005 at 10:41 PM (CDT)

The problems described here are EXACTLY why you should wait until the QA cycle has been completed with Apple.  I am not an Apple employee, but I am employed in the software industry. One thing I’ve learned is that you never install something that isn’t certified by the manufacturer of the software with which you are integrating. Third-party plugins are always buggy.  Wait till Apple releases its version. There will likely be fewer issues.

Posted by Teknojunkie in Florida on June 22, 2005 at 9:40 AM (CDT)