Barack Obama reveals his iPod’s contents | iLounge News

Barack Obama reveals his iPod’s contents

In an interview with Rolling Stone to be published later this week, presumptive Democratic Presidential nominee Barack Obama has revealed some of the contents of his personal iPod. “I have pretty eclectic tastes,” said Obama, who said he had music from a wide range of artists on his iPod, from Miles Davis and John Coltrane to Jay-Z and Ludacris. Obama, who grew up in the 1970’s, said he listened to the Rolling Stones (his favorite Stones track is the seminal “Gimme Shelter”), Elton John, and Earth Wind and Fire, adding that Stevie Wonder was his “musical hero” of the period.

Interestingly, Obama also had a wide selection of tracks from Apple CEO Steve Jobs’ favorite Bob Dylan, including the entire Blood on the Tracks album. “Actually, one of my favorites during the political season is ‘Maggie’s Farm,’ ” Obama said. “It speaks to me as I listen to some of the political rhetoric.” In the song, Dylan sings about trying be himself, “but everybody wants you to be just like them.” Many musicians appearing on Obama’s iPod have lent him their support during his campaign, including Dylan and Bruce Springsteen. “I’ve got to say, having both Dylan and Bruce Springsteen say kind words about you is pretty remarkable,” Obama said. “Those guys are icons.”

Obama also admits to having concerns over the the content of some rap music to which his daughters might be exposed. “I am troubled sometimes by the misogyny and materialism of a lot of rap lyrics,” he said, “but I think the genius of the art form has shifted the culture and helped to desegregate music.” He went on to call hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons and rappers Jay-Z and Ludacris “great talents and great businessmen,” adding that “it would be nice if I could have my daughters listen to their music without me worrying that they were getting bad images of themselves.”

« Spain set to impose tax on iPod, iPhone

iLuv rolls out i1255 Desktop iPod / DVD Player »

Comments

Where’s the playlist, though? These stories seem to be summaries, not the whole story. As an Elton fan I’m curious to know what the exact tracks on the list are.

Posted by Buran on June 25, 2008 at 11:27 AM (CDT)

“Gimme Shelter” - the man has taste and there’s reason enough to vote for him. His comments on the “influence” rap has on his daughters echos my generation’s parents concern about “Sticky Fingers” and “Road to Bangkok” ... and then there was punk.

Looking across the isle, McCain probably has musical tastes like my dad. Not doubt solid stuff, but I never liked “50’s day” in high school and The Beatles were probably the last new music.

When can I vote from my iPhone/Touch? Now there’s progress.

Posted by drakebullet on June 25, 2008 at 12:23 PM (CDT)

they fail to mention all of the audio of past speech’s from other politicians that he uses to rip off their ideas.

so much hype yet no substance, unfortunately McCain is only marginally better.

Posted by hydra-calm on June 25, 2008 at 12:30 PM (CDT)

Hey hydra-calm, politics is not about original ideas, it’s about forwarding the ideas that are acceptable to a very very broad constituency. The fact that Obama listens to and uses many others ideas is a great thing to have in an executive leader. I’m sure McCain does the same thing. The shades of grey occur in their differences in approaching the common problems - money, war, healthcare - and our need to have a vision of the future that gets us out of bed in the morning.

Posted by drakebullet on June 25, 2008 at 1:50 PM (CDT)

Now what we need is for John McCain to reveal the contents of his 78 rpm record collection.

Posted by thorndike on June 25, 2008 at 9:35 PM (CDT)

Or his Edison wax cylinder recordings :-)

Posted by paulj69 on June 26, 2008 at 12:01 AM (CDT)

Yeah, I read an interview in which McCain said he can’t stand new bands, like that “new teen pop combo from Liverpool, with the incorrectly spelled insect name” and he doesn’t understand youth today, with their Pat Boone, Tom Jones and The Four Seasons.

I’d also like to know McCain’s favorite movies; I heard he wishes Hollywood would stop making talkies and go back to silents.

Posted by eli-samuels on June 26, 2008 at 8:13 AM (CDT)