BBC 6 Music report: Video iPod set to debut in London next week | iLounge News

BBC 6 Music report: Video iPod set to debut in London next week

During a broadcast earlier in the day, BBC 6 Music news reported “Apple is set to unveil a new video iPod at the BBC Television Centre in London on October the 12th. The company is expected to reveal details of the new MP3 and video player as well as video bundles to be available from the company’s iTunes stores.” Conflicting reports about the rumored video iPod have run rampant across the web since Apple sent out the “One More Thing…” announcements yesterday. The broadcast is no longer available on the BBC site.

« Speck adds black GrassSkin case

Analysts expect video iPod at special event next week »

Comments

wooo!!!! Now i REALLY can’t wait, I’m ready to have a funeral for my dead lil’ 3G ‘Pod!!! Good ol’ Beeb!!

Posted by Liam on October 5, 2005 at 4:49 PM (CDT)

It makes you wonder if they were pressured by Apple to pull the piece or if they pulled it from bad information. I guess we’ll never know until Oct. 12th…..

Posted by Christian C. on October 5, 2005 at 4:50 PM (CDT)

To reiterate the previous post:

Yes indeed why would they pull this information unless it is true.

I will be unwrapped next week folks, get ready.

Posted by 5th Generation Video iPod, *new in box on October 5, 2005 at 5:15 PM (CDT)

Laim, I have the same dead lil iPod 3gen…

Posted by Ian on October 5, 2005 at 5:25 PM (CDT)

This could be a red herring.

Posted by Will Shepherdson on October 5, 2005 at 5:35 PM (CDT)

true…people don’t need a 500 dollar video player in their pockets, but people also don’t need a whole bunch of other things, so what the hell

Posted by personA on October 5, 2005 at 5:50 PM (CDT)

You can still litsen to that broadcast at bbc.co.uk

Klick at: Listen to the latest music news
Then litsen for about 2 minutes.
I have it recorded now, just in case.

Posted by Rodan on October 5, 2005 at 5:52 PM (CDT)

we should have an iPod funeral.. hmmm…
It seems odd that they would pull their AUDIO news if there wasn’t something to hide, so it seems to reason they let something slip…

first post on iLounge, and tip recognised on engadget, a good day for me, or just lucky..

Posted by Liam on October 5, 2005 at 6:02 PM (CDT)

Why would Apple introduce a video iPod just weeks after they introduced the iPod nano.  I can see a video iPod eventually happening, but not on October 12.

Posted by daniel Gilmour on October 5, 2005 at 6:11 PM (CDT)

im sure this article was pulled because of misinformation…

bbc probably got the invitation to the event just like every other media outlet. why would apple tip the bbc about what they are releasing.. that would ruin the point of a press release/conferance, which is to attract the media by throwing bait out to them. the jobsian philosophy of “oh, by the f’n way” more publically recognized as “one more thing” is a teaser… he has the media and consumer foaming at the mouth for this stuff.

bbc pulled the story because they realized they were jumping to conclusions by publishing or broadcasting a story based on heresay.  other sources like cnn.com should be reconsidering their release as well.  I haven’t heard the BBC report, but cnn.com’s story just quoted sites like ThinkSecret and AppleInsider, which have a decent success rate but promise no gaurentees… since they are rumor mill sites.

no one knows anything rite now.  don’t get all hyped up just to be let down come october 12… im sure steve j will have something cool up his sleeve either way.

Posted by brian on October 5, 2005 at 6:23 PM (CDT)

Yes I agree a screen that size is pretty pointless for DVD videos - but BBC news headlines or a today program video cast would be cool!

Posted by MacCrazy on October 5, 2005 at 6:23 PM (CDT)

Damn i just bought a nano

Posted by Joe on October 5, 2005 at 6:27 PM (CDT)

my god people you all little drones waiting for the next ipod “fad” to drop. Apple did this on purpose to start a rumor and get the hype up so when they do eventually drop it, you will all flock to the stores and buy it up…calm down people just calm down….....

Posted by john Doe on October 5, 2005 at 6:59 PM (CDT)

brian—

i hear what you’re saying about the bbc jumping the gun. however, they have a *lot* of video content to offer - so it’s likely that apple has been in talks with the bbc to secure video content, that’s how they must know.

or they could just be repeating the same stories as everyone else..who knows!

Posted by Asif Alibhai on October 5, 2005 at 7:03 PM (CDT)

So is apple going to host simultaneous press releases and reveal products in San Jose and London?  I don’t think so.  They will hold one event and let everything happen from there.  Are we thinking here or just responding?

Then again I will probably be wrong and they will hold simultaneous events.

Posted by fiark on October 5, 2005 at 7:20 PM (CDT)

I find the rumors about the video ipod launch next week more believable than the new powerbook / powermac releases.

Just hope they alow recording of material from a external source (like the archos Av500).

3 hours of f***ing about ripping & encoding that the mainstream is not going to go for it regardless of how snazzy it looks… Practicality wins handsdown everytime…

Posted by Philip Tindall on October 5, 2005 at 7:20 PM (CDT)

We come to this site because we are all Apple’s Lemmings.  We love them and buy their products without even needing to have a reason.  We are all early adopters and there is nothing wrong with that.  If this iPod Video player comes out, GREAT, if it doesn’t, thats fine too.  We all know we arent going to buy another brand video player/mp3 player, so we will wait, and wait, and wait.  Big ephing deal.  We all probably have at least two ipods (4 in my case) and I love each and everyone of them.  Each of them gets used DAILY and they all serve their specific purpose, playing music well!  When I get this video iPod when it surfaces, it will probably serve its own purpose.  But I can honestly say, there is not enough time in my busy day that I can focus on watching a video and conduct business or accomplish anything at work.  With a non-video-playing ipod, I CAN!  Regardless, i hope the rumors finally produce truth because Apple needs to start selling videos.  it can only help my stocks soar.  I am waiting for the $130/share days and the 2 to 1 stock splits again.  Steve Jobs, thank you for buying my Beamer back then and thanks for helping me buy my Beamer replacement in the next quarter.

Posted by Nunya on October 5, 2005 at 7:55 PM (CDT)

Have you noticed that everyone is mainly waiting for a new 5G iPod then a Computer? People are way too excited about the “New iPod” and is going to be upset if apple doesnt release a new iPod. I sure will But i got fingers crossed for a new Video iPod. But its kinda risky for apple since they just released the nano.

Posted by Bob on October 5, 2005 at 8:04 PM (CDT)

gosh, even BBC just get rumors as real. Apple normally doesn’t release new product in other country if it is not expo. so I think that rumor seems to be overrate.

by the way, it doesn’t make any sense why Steve Jobs introduce another ipod since new ipod nano just came out two weeks ago. he doesn’t want to kill the sale of nano.

I think that it is related with powerbook, powermac update.

Posted by edward on October 5, 2005 at 8:09 PM (CDT)

Could it be that the BBC know because one of the press conferences is scheduled at BBC Television centre? And somehow the wires got crossed about what was releasable information, and what was confidential?

I heard the report when it went out on 6music, and was surprised at how out of the blue it was (and with a lack of any facts or substance at all) but I won’t be surprised if it’s right and they let it out by accident.

It’s strange it went out on the radio and didn’t make the news website, though.

Posted by Gordon on October 5, 2005 at 8:22 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >