BBC launches iPlayer for iPhone, iPod touch | iLounge News

BBC launches iPlayer for iPhone, iPod touch

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, March 7, 2008
News Categories: iPhone

image

The BBC has launched a beta version of its iPlayer for iPhone. BBC iPlayer allows UK residents to browse and watch TV programs from the last week via streaming or download. The new iPlayer for iPhone uses H.264 encoded videos instead of the Flash format used by its PC counterpart. Anthony Rose, head of Digital Media Technologies for BBC, explains that the iPhone was the first browser-enabled device to get a custom iPlayer application “because it is the device most optimised for high quality video currently available.” Rose added, “It displays the BBC iPlayer site and BBC programmes nicely.” The BBC iPlayer for iPhone can be accessed now by visiting bbc.co.uk/iplayer/ from a UK-based iPhone or iPod touch.

« Gameloft to release over 15 iPhone games in 2008

Mix: Video, Carmack, Ballmer, Freeverse »

Comments

Just tried this on my iphone and it is amazing shame it does not work on edge or it would be perfect.

Posted by James on March 7, 2008 at 10:55 AM (PDT)

This is a great step forward for UK iPhone and iPod Touch owners - a shame though that (today at least) only a handful of shows seem to actually be available. Why no Torchwood or Ashes to Ashes?

Posted by Grahame Robertson on March 7, 2008 at 11:22 AM (PDT)

Response to Grahame:
Torchwood and Ashes to Ashes are available on iTunes, so it is another revenue stream (thats why you cannot get Damages on the iPlayer for PC). I suppose nobody wants to buy old episodes of Question Time!
I also assume that most things in life (be it xbox live or UK iTunes) there is never a great deal to offer when one of these things is set up. I can only guess this is the first time something like this has been tried.

Posted by Nick on March 7, 2008 at 12:13 PM (PDT)

I don’t care about the iPhone, haven’t got one.  I want the iPlayer to work on MY MAC!!

Posted by Simon on March 7, 2008 at 2:38 PM (PDT)

Before someone disagrees with me.  I meant, you can stream but NOT download at the moment on a Mac

Posted by Simon on March 7, 2008 at 2:42 PM (PDT)

Now we need them to sort out the itunes/Apple TV version. I don’t care for watching TV shows too much on the move or on a PC/Mac. What would make sense is all the content available on iPlayer for your computer be available to watch on a Apple TV and FREE!!! If you want to keep the programme for more than 30 days then charge a nominal fee.

Posted by carrerarsr on March 8, 2008 at 5:18 AM (PDT)

@Grahame: It’s still in beta, and not many programmes have been converted to h.264 yet.

@Nick: No, I don’t think it has to do with iTunes sales. Brainbox Challenge is available now for iPhone/Touch, Eggheads is not - neither of these is likely to get a commercial release.

So long as they make sure Dr Who series 4 is available, I’ll be happy…

Posted by Miche Doherty on March 8, 2008 at 9:22 AM (PDT)

Tried this the other day and must say I am blown away by the quality of the video. Just amazing. Thanks Beeb!

Posted by Slate8 on March 10, 2008 at 7:58 AM (PDT)

I tried to access using my 16Gb iPod Touch but could not get it!!
I get the following message ” Safari can’t open the page because the address is invalid”

I am dissapointed.

Posted by Snowshine on March 13, 2008 at 1:03 PM (PDT)

Hi
I’ve tried going on bbc/iplayer but it only comes up as a black screen I’ve tried turning it off and on but that doesn’t help do u know how to fix it (iPod touch)
thanks

Posted by Lauren on September 26, 2009 at 5:44 PM (PDT)